Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

On a positive note theres a good looking new oldskool station (online only) just started www.radiofrontline.net , Fri-Sunday (proper!), and check the line up! Some proper heads here.... that maybe a special launch weekend special, but im hoping not:
229ea67ec5-Schedule-SCHED.png

Ahhh, just saw this:
BROADCASTING ON THE FIRST WEEKEND OF EVERY MONTH FRONTLINE WILL BRING TO YOU THE VERY BEST IN
88-94 ACID / HARDCORE / JUNGLE / TECHNO MUSIC WITH SHOWS HOSTED BY SOME OF THE FINEST DJs & PRODUCERS WHO HELPED TO LAY THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE DRUM & BASS / JUNGLE SCENE BACK IN THE 1990s.

Once a month.... that can be hard to remember tbh

shows are being archived on http://www.mixcloud.com/RadioFrontline/

Listened to Mi Soul for a bit, but I think http://www.back2backfm.net/ is a lot lot better, deeper selection and doesnt have all those annoying ad breaks. its a great station AND its on the FM dial (and stream of course). In particular it has some amazing deep crate digging 70s jazz, funk and rare groove shows + a whole lot more

I've been listening to Back2Back for a while now but I couldn't figure out if they were actually a pirate or not. Have you heard the two taxi driver's show on a Saturday 4 -6pm,their banter is quite entertaining!

I've been listening to Back2Back for a while now but I couldn't figure out if they were actually a pirate or not. Have you heard the two taxi driver's show on a Saturday 4 -6pm,their banter is quite entertaining!
haha yeah i have - i didnt realise they were cabbies, which explains the constant adverts for the cab company :D
classic old skool london boogie fans - not that into the music they play, can be a bit smooth and fusiony, but that show is all heart.

Yes, I agree about the music, not quite my taste either but I like to listen to them if I'm at home at that time.

There is a good hip hop show on B2B in Saturdays at 8pm (think it's that station, I do listen to Freak as well) can't remember the DJs name.

KissFM-London-Logo-July87.jpg

Found this little archive of early Kiss tapes - if anyone else dls and listens please feedback whats good

Kiss FM – 94.0 – Colin Favor – Kiss Megamix – 1985 40 mins
Kiss FM – 94.0 – Norman Jay & Tosca – 1/12/85 45 mins
Kiss FM – 94.0 – Danny Rampling – 1988 39 min
Kiss FM – 94.0 – Trevor Nelson – June 1988 79 mins
Kiss FM – 94.0 – Lindsay Wesker – 25/6/88 46 mins
Kiss FM – 94.0 – Coldcut Crew & Juan Atkins Interview – 2/12/88 54 mins

Kiss FM – 100 – Gordon Mac & Norman Jay – First Legal Broadcast – 1/9/90 47 mins
Kiss FM – 100 – Steve Jackson – March 92 47 mins
Kiss FM – 100 – Danny Rampling – 26/9/92 46 mins

Bottom of page here
http://www.thepiratearchive.net/kiss-ldn/

:ETA check the ad break on a very young sounding Normans show :D

Last edited:
Someone has jsut uploaded some tapes from the Dread Broadcasting Corporation
wiki says:
Dread Broadcasting Corporation (DBC) was a west London pirate radio station established in 1981.[1]
DBC has been credited as Britain's first black music radio station,[2] and eventually featured DJs like Neneh Cherry,[3] and Ranking Miss P.[1] Joe Strummer of The Clash even made a guest appearance on the station, playing reggae, soul and R&B.[4][5]
Following more than one arrest, DBC ceased broadcasting in 1984.

nice vibes

more on that channel

also a bunch of rips and a proper write up here (on a site ive not seen before but looks like a goldmine)
http://www.thepiratearchive.net/dbc/
"By Christmas 1983, DBC had only been caught twice. After that, they were caught twice in 6 weeks. Despite this, they decided to expand to broadcasting live, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They now had listeners well outside of London and figures were estimated to be as high as 100,000."

Hello Urban, thought you might be interested in this event next week:

‘Masters of the Airwaves: The Rise & Rise of Underground Radio’
with Dave VJ and Lindsay Wesker
Radio.jpg

Wednesday 16th April, 7pm
Entry £3, redeemable against any purchase

Dave VJ and Lindsay Wesker, two of Kiss FM’s founding members, will be at Housmans to discuss their book ‘Masters of the Airwaves: The Rise and Rise of Underground Radio’, which explores the stories of those pioneers who helped bring urban music to a wide audience, first via pirate radio and then on the legal airwaves, and transformed British culture in the process.

This beautifully produced book contains first hand accounts from the black radio pioneers of the 80s and 90s, such as Trevor Nelson, Norman Jay and Jazzie B, to name but a few.

"It’s important to let people know that, because of what we did - in our naive way - years ago, they now have radio that plays (love it or hate it) the black music of today on a legal station...As time went on, lots of my DJ friends changed jobs, got married, left the country, passed away and so on. Lindsay and myself have been friends and music anoraks together for years so, when I decided I wanted to be the person to tell this story, I knew he was the only person who could help me make it come alive." Dave VJ

http://www.housmans.com/events.php

I've noticed lots more di-poles and twin stacks appearing on the blocks of brixton hill recently.

This is going to be nasty
1653571_10203085297069429_6190251078663326251_n.jpg

Saturday, August 2 at 10:00pm - 4:00am

<~>"WEEKEND-RUSH"<~> PRESENTS<~>R I P MC GAFFA"<~>"THE BIG SUMMER REUNION"<~> "@THE GARAGE HIGHBURY CORNER-N5-1RD"<~>

"WEEKEND-RUSH"
"THE BIG SUMMER REUNION" !!!
Weekend-Rush was started in 1990 and was the first station to play hardcore jungle many say the scene today wouldn't be the way it is without Weekend-Rush. Kool FM & Weekend-Rush was involved in many massive raves that went down in history. For many years we also broke loads of boundaries in the pirate radio world, who remembers the 6 o'clock news when they had to call in the army to take us off air. People have been saying "where's the reunion?" So 7yrs ago we put on a night at Jacks in Vauxhall we could not believe the love and the crowd of 750 ravers and what a night. Recently one of our true veteran mc's passed away so we at Weekend Rush were in the middle of arranging a reunion and thought lets do it for Gaffa and lets donate a pound from every person that buys tickets or pays on the door to Mc Gaffa's family. He was a true gent and one of the original mc's in our scene so lets come together and make this night go down in history ....
±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±±
¤Arena-1~
(HARDCORE~JUNGLE~ RAVE CLASSICS)
Djs on the night well be...
DICA
REMARC B2B RED ANT B2B FUNKY FLIRT
DJ RUSHER B2B DJ SL
MARLY MARL B2B DJSPICE
DJ SCANNER
Mcs on the night will be....
±MC GAFFA RIP±
±FEARLESS±
±SHABBA±
±SHOCKIN±
±TUGGAWAR±
More headline djs & mcs T•B•A
±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±¥±
¤Arena-2¤
(HARDCORE~JUNGLE REGGAE~CLUB CLASSICS)
Djs on the night will be...
BRAINKILLERS
MIX MASTER MAX
DJ OUTLAW
JUNGLE AMBASSADORS
EASTMAN CONNIE CON.. SWIFTY HABLA.. PHANTON D AN JONAH.. CLOCKWORK ,MCS RUDE BOY KEITH.. JUNGLELIST.. DOLLERS.. CRUNCHIE .. REGGIE..MC WICKED... MORE DJS MCS TBA
>> £10 EARLY BIRD MORE ON THE DOOR GET TICKETS FROM >>www.ravetickets.co.uk<<~>> www.deftickets.co.uk <<
>>OVER 18s ONLY I'd IS A MUST IF YOU LOOK YOUNG<<
MORE INFO T•B•A
Very soon...

Recently one of our true veteran mc's passed away so we at Weekend Rush were in the middle of arranging a reunion and thought lets do it for Gaffa and lets donate a pound from every person that buys tickets or pays on the door to Mc Gaffa's family. He was a true gent and one of the original mc's in our scene so lets come together and make this night go down in history ....

Only just seen this - didn't realise Gaffa had passed away :(

Of possible interest to people here: a chap's been putting in a whole bunch of Freedom of Information requests to police forces with regards their anti-pirate enforcement. A lot of knockbacks (citing NCND :eek: :hmm: ) but a few have released info.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/marcus_tempelton
I dont quite get what could be uncovered here - can you summarise? or any results?

I like these kind of answers:
"Cheshire Constabulary can neither confirm nor deny that it
holds the information that you are requesting.

To give a statement of the
reasons why neither confirming nor denying is appropriate in this case
would itself involve disclosure of exempt information, therefore under
section 17(4), no explanation can be given."

genius.

I dont quite get what could be uncovered here - can you summarise? or any results?

He appears to be trying to build up a picture of the number of times each police force has busted pirate stations at the behest of Ofcom. Given that these are bald numbers, it seems odd so many of them are resistant to providing that information.

He's also asking about whether that police force's own comms systems have been affected by rogue radio waves :D

Just checking i get it - Whats the significance of it being Ofcom that asks (is there a significance even)? Its normally the DTI that deals with this isnt it...

Just checking i get it - Whats the significance of it being Ofcom that asks (is there a significance even)? Its normally the DTI that deals with this isnt it...
Ofcom took over the remit of the Radiocommunications Agency, the executive agency of the DTI responsible for enforcement of the WTA 1949 (as well as taking on the roles of the Radio Authority, which managed the spectrum, and the telly regulators).

Of course, hollering out “Ofcom have submitted the appropriate enforcement paperwork to the police liaison officer!” does not have the same romantic ring as “DTI and filth on the corner - get up to the roof and grab the tranny!”

Back
Top Bottom