Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

Nice one, will have a look at home tonight. I used to work with Kane's missus, as it goes.

Not exactly on thread, and apologies for the absolutely shameless name drop but I DJ'd at a junglists bbq on Saturday in deepest Romford. I was after Uncle Dugs and before Jamie G and watching them do their stuff live while having a little chat and a laugh was a proper privilige, felt like stepping into the radio. Kid in a sweet shop time :D:cool:

nice one :cool:

slot on Rinse next!

A chap I didn't know came up and asked me about a couple of tunes I played, then he and all the DJ's sat in front of me paying close attention to everything I did. Fortunately I was in full swing or I might have bottled it, but it went well and they were all lovely. At the end the bloke introduced himself and turned out to be one of their main promoters for club nights, so you never know. He's already been in touch, fingers crossed :)

Not exactly on thread, and apologies for the absolutely shameless name drop but I DJ'd at a junglists bbq on Saturday in deepest Romford. I was after Uncle Dugs and before Jamie G and watching them do their stuff live while having a little chat and a laugh was a proper privilige, felt like stepping into the radio. Kid in a sweet shop time :D:cool:

Jamie G is excellent I think - does a three hour rinse out on kool - Wednesday morings? does proper mixes to, not just some quick fade in fade out thing.

Jamie G is excellent I think - does a three hour rinse out on kool - Wednesday morings? does proper mixes to, not just some quick fade in fade out thing.

Yes, long mixes and very relaxed about it, he played my selection on Saturday, great DJ. Loads of ragga samples, bit of Congo Natty, darker tunes than the others so right up my street.

Yes, long mixes and very relaxed about it, he played my selection on Saturday, great DJ. Loads of ragga samples, bit of Congo Natty, darker tunes than the others so right up my street.
as he has such a long slot (3hrs) ive heard him play all styles - he has a big and deep collection from the golden era - comes across like a nice guy on the mic too... long mixes (1 minute minimum) used to be the standard, letting two tunes play over each other and have the clash of those two tunes make something new - happens more and more rarely these days

Just had this shared at me, nice 93 Weekend Rush set - good selection, rush fm style mcing, including a young MC Shabba
RED ANT on the WEEKEND RUSH

theres a lot of old pirate sets floating around these days, but this is a better one
includes an ad break - always entertaining

Last edited:
Wednesday mornings are looking nice on an oldskool tip on Kool FM with the excellent DJ Versus on now 9-11am followed by Jerome HIll in a new slot 11-1pm.
Versus was not happy today though, he used to have a three hour slot 9-12pm, and hes got such a deep selection he eats up that three hour show. A bit of a diss, I think he's a better oldskool deejay than JH, and definitely has paid his dues on Kool for a while now and deserves a later slot. That aside its good listening all round

im not saying anything against JH, but Versus is the bollocks too - listening to their shows back 2 back this morning I thought Versus was better and the poor bloke has to be there at 9am, and has done that slot for at least a couple of years now. Ive heard Jerome on the radio a few times and Versus a whole bunch of times too -IMO Versus is the best oldskool dj on the station, alongside Jamie G - both get proper headdown in the mix, do long intelligent mixes, and bring energy to the set. Outlaw and Jinx are both brilliant too, but Versus goes back further in time than most, and is more a comparison to what Jerome Hill is doing on Kool (gravitating towards the 88-92 selection).

just to be clear, im not saying anything bad about him! I just rate Versus. Either way, theres 4 hours of great oldskool guaranteed on a wednesday morning for those midweek blues :cool:

yeah, all shows are on the kool archives.

I think what i like about those djs i named is that they do something a lot of oldskool djs dont, which is play the tunes in an original style. I find that a lot of people on the radio these days present oldskool in full awareness of how old the music is and with a sense that they're revisiting the past - they do things like ID every track, give little insights about a tune or a label, let tunes play to the end, or do only the shortest of mixes towards the end, endlessly rewind every 'classic' tune, asking "who remembers this one" all the time - some how it feels a bit educational, sentimental and casual, and it makes the music feel tired.

By contrast the oldskool radio djs I like to hear most can play the records as if they were new+relevant, dont talk too much, get immediately headdown in the mix, do long and thought out mixes, dig deep in the bag for tunes that wouldve been played then but dont get played now, and bring energy and urgency to proceedings.

Its not easy to do: the audience often has heard these tunes for twenty years and the dj definitely has, so its only natural that the attitude with which they get played changes, but it can be done in a way that still feels exciting. Thats why old radio tapes are still of value <the tunes get played 'properly' and the selection is deeper and the sense of excitement about the music is palpable. Its funny why its so hard to recreate the same feel of an old recorded show from BITD now - I particularly rate the djs who try.

ETA: BITD Djs didnt have to answer the phone, look at tweets and interact with the chat room, they could concentrate on playing tunes - thats one key reason that it often doesn't feel as good to me - putting a record on is 5th in a list of other things to do. If stations want that interactivity then get an MC in to do it, and leave the DJ in peace to concentrate IMO

Last edited:
shockin manages to do it all! :D and he fahkin loves it, remembered me last time i was in the chat room and gave me a bless up everytime shout :)

Back
Top Bottom