Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

CB, you should really check out www.radionecks.com < could well be of interest to you - sure theyd be interested to hear you stories too ;)

Thanks, I am aware of that site, but I waste enough time on here, I don't have the time to post on there TBH.

Besides, when I first looked at that site, a good few months ago, it was very much to do with the scene now, my involvement was back in the late 70's & 80s - I am history at the end of the day. :(

Thanks, I am aware of that site, but I waste enough time on here, I don't have the time to post on there TBH.

Besides, when I first looked at that site, a good few months ago, it was very much to do with the scene now, my involvement was back in the late 70's & 80s - I am history at the end of the day. :(
yes, but these are real heads and im sure you'd be welcome with open arms. nice community atmos on the there. point take about time wasting!

BTW - this site - http://members7.boardhost.com/PirateRadio/ deals with a lot of old offshore radio stuff in particular, there's a couple of seriously interesting people that post on there occasionally such as Peter Moore (Radio Caroline's manager during the late 80's offshore era & still manager for the current operation), Paul Rusling (who was involved briefly with Caroline during the 70s & heavily involved in setting-up the offshore Laser588 in the 80s, his book 'Lid off Laser' is an amazing story of skulduggery) and Mike Barraclough who I met during his Radio Jackie days, before he went onto to being an engineer for Caroline, he now baby-sits Sealand, he was the guy rescued off Sealand after the fire a few years back.

Sadly, most of the rest of the posters on there are seriously sad old anoraks, that can't cope with how the London scene has developed, and there's a somewhat racist undertone to some posts, which is why I stopped posting on there years ago, I just dip in occasionally to read the more interesting posts from the likes of the guys I mentioned above.

thanks for that - a quick look and one interesting story on there is a link to a readionecks story, which is that Flex fm broadcast on DAB today! DAB pirating is truly the future....:cool:

And when it comes to skulduggery on the high seas - Bob Noakes' 'Last of the Pirates' book makes for a very interesting read - covering his time with Caroline during the 70s, all the drug taking is funny enough, but Chris Carey's failed attempt to take-over the ship & operation seriously made me laugh.

The author has written here the inside story of everyday life aboard - often stripped of its romantic aura. Drugs, sex, intrigues, hijackings, mutinies and storms at sea all feature in this extraordinary tale.

Chris went on to set-up the biggest & most successful pirate in Ireland during the 80s, Dublin's Radio Nova, which is when I met him, not knowing his attempted take over of Caroline in the 70s.

Chris was later hunted down by Murdoch for selling pirated cards for Sky TV from Ireland, and ended-up in jail, this happened whilst one of Murdoch's companies were *allegedly* (< for legal reasons ;)) involved in issuing the codes on the internet for people to pirate Ondigital/ITV digital cards, because Murdoch felt threaten by a new pay-TV operation. That all got settled out of court.

Whilst Chris (RIP) was a bit of a cunt, he was small fry compared to Murdoch, the wrong man spent time inside IMO.

Just spotted this on the iPlayer, was on BBC3 last night, just about to download it so I have no idea if it's any good, somehow I doubt it, but what the heck.

*opens wardrobe, pulls out anorak in perparation*

People Just Do Nothing

Mockumentary that follows the lives of people connected to a London pirate radio station. MC Sniper is released from jail to find the station having problems with its transmitter.

Just spotted this on the iPlayer, was on BBC3 last night, just about to download it so I have no idea if it's any good, somehow I doubt it, but what the heck.

*opens wardrobe, pulls out anorak in perparation*

People Just Do Nothing

Mockumentary that follows the lives of people connected to a London pirate radio station. MC Sniper is released from jail to find the station having problems with its transmitter.
i quite liked it :oops: got a few laughs from me - a few less chavtastic jokes and it could work...likeable characters...the music bits like at 17.28 shinaminon-cinaminon-ontheriddim were lots of fun... looks like a pilot, so who know there might be more

I never seen to be able to get decent reception for that station, but what I can hear is always, always top quality stuff. Frustrating.

I rarely have any problems with reception of Rude - must be closer to the transmitter/s than you ;)
Origin is usually fine too but some of the other stations come and go.

killer kool fm tape here - love brockies selection at this time (93, with a few 92s in there too) - classic ad break - and then fabrok gets very ugly

http://deepinsidetheoldskool.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/brockie-fabrok-kool-fm-23rd-april-1993.html
Brockie

L Double - Examine Da Plannin' [Velocite]
A Guy Called Gerald - Like A Drug [Juice Box]
Under-D-Influence - Brand New 49T2 [Hardcore Vinyl]
3 Way Split with DJ Easygroove - Wicked Ones [Where's The Party]
LTJ Bukem - Demon's Theme [Good Looking]
Sacred - Keep On Going (Good Over Evil Mix) [Sacred]
Satin Storm – Think I’m Going Out Of My Head [Satin Storm]
Pow Pow - POWPOW2 Side B1 [Pow Pow]
The Charm - De-men-tation [Bass Overdose]
Wax Doctor - A New Direction [Basement]
Hard & Pure - Chains [Hard & Fast]
A Guy Called Gerald - Sunshine [Juice Box]
Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows [Ram]
Nasty Habits - Let's Go (Cold remix) [Reinforced]
Hard & Pure - This Is Jungleism [Hard & Fast]
D Major - One Step [786 Approved]
Smith Inc - Music & Life [Absolute 2]
Ruff & Ready - A Lesson In Ruffness (Mix 3) [Ruff & Ready]
Tom & Jerry - Cat Got Your Tongue [Tom & Jerry]
Bodysnatch - The Strength (Mental Rapids) [Big City]
The Anthill Mob - Black Rushin' [Anthill]

Adverts
(first ad for some ropey lee bridge mobile phone company - unfortunately not a happy ending to that one. )

Fabrok

Trace & Ed Rush - Clean Gun [Lucky Spin]
Tim Taylor - Istanbul (Taktix Remix) [Fokus]
Trace & Ed Rush - Don Bad Man [Lucky Spin]
Noise Factory - Out Of My Mind [3rd Party]
Satin Storm - Satin Storm [Satin Storm] (played at 45rpm)
Edge Of Darkness - Come Together [After Dark]

---

From RadioNecks - top work here:

Here we have a complete list of links to UK pirate radio station's TuneIn pages. Every active FM pirate (or 'net station with an FM relay) is listed here for your convenience.

I recommend getting a free account on Tunein.com and adding these stations to your presets. Presets are automatically synced with any TuneIn-enabled device, for example your smartphone, so you're able to essentially have access to the whole of the UK FM2 spectrum anywhere you have an Internet connection. To keep things organised, TuneIn allows you to create "Folders" so you can easily create a "Pirate" folder arranged in frequency order, or create one based on location or genres from within your account.

Last updated: 23/08/2012

Listed by frequency.

Frequency - Station Name & Link (Location) Genre

Complete UK List:
87.5 - Analogue Underground Radio (Brighton) Various
87.5 - Distinct FM (Birmingham) Drum 'n' Bass
87.5 - Funky FM (Essex) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass, Dubstep
87.6 - Ashdown FM (Taunton) Pop
87.6 - Playback UK (London) Garage
87.9 - Shine FM (London) House, Garage
88.2 - Rude FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass
88.3 - Monster House Radio (Essex) House
88.4 - Vision Radio UK (London) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass
88.6 - Back2Back FM (London) Soul, Funk
88.8 - CodeSouth FM (Brighton) House, Drum 'n' Bass
89.4 - Unknown FM (London) House
89.8 - Station FM (London) Reggae
90.0 - Hot Digital Radio (London)
90.2 - Point Blank FM (London) House
90.4 - Whoa FM (London) R&B, Hip Hop
90.6 - Fresh Radio UK (London) House, Garage, Trance
90.8 - Lightning FM (London) R&B
91.0 - FIP (Brighton) Various
91.6 - iFM (Kent) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass
91.8 - Passion FM (London) House
92.0 - Desire FM (Essex) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass, Reggae
92.0 - Hot 92 (Birmingham) Soul
92.2 - Metro Love Radio (London) Reggae, D&B
92.2 - FIP (Kent) Various
92.4 - Deja Vu (London) R&B, Grime, Garage
92.9 - Klick Radio (London)
93.8 - Vibes FM (London) Reggae
93.9 - Fresh Radio UK (London) House, Garage, Trance
94.2 - Skyline Radio (Wolverhampton) Reggae
94.2 - The Soul Of London Radio (London) Soul, R&B
94.4 - Flames Radio (London) Reggae, Hip Hop, R&B
94.6 - Kool FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass
95.1 - Origin FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass, Hardcore, Dubstep
95.3 - Naspa (London) Gospel, Speech
95.4 - Roots FM (London) Reggae, Soul
96.1 - S-Dance (London) House
97.5 - Blazing Radio (London) R&B, Reggae
97.5 - Stingdem (Birmingham) Reggae
97.9 - Aggression FM (West Sussex) House
97.9 - Passion FM (London) House
99.1 - Havit FM (London) R&B, Hip Hop, House
99.3 - Select UK (London) House
99.4 - Irie UK (Birmingham) Reggae
99.5 - Venture Radio (London) Reggae, Speech
99.7 - Flex FM (London) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass, Dubstep
99.7 - Upbeat FM (Birmingham) House
99.8 - Supreme FM (London) R&B, Reggae, Soca
100.3 - House FM (London) House
100.6 - Rage FM (Taunton)
101.2 - Unique FM (London) Hip Hop, Soul, Reggae
101.4 - Radio 4a (Brighton) Various, speech
101.5 - Live FM UK (London) House, Garage
102.4 - Wax FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass
103.0 - Image Radio (London) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass
103.8 - Blues UK Radio (London) Blues, Hip Hop
105.6 - FIP (Billingham) Various
105.6 - WBLS (London) Speech, R&B
106.5 - Project Radio (Essex) House
108.0 - Pulse London Garage

London:
87.6 - Playback UK (London) Garage
87.9 - Shine FM (London) House, Garage
88.2 - Rude FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass
88.4 - Vision Radio UK (London) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass
88.6 - Back2Back FM (London) Soul, Funk
89.4 - Unknown FM (London) House
89.8 - Station FM (London) Reggae
90.0 - Hot Digital Radio (London)
90.2 - Point Blank FM (London) House
90.4 - Whoa FM (London) R&B, Hip Hop
90.6 - Fresh Radio UK (London) House, Garage, Trance
90.8 - Lightning FM (London) R&B
91.8 - Passion FM (London) House
92.0 - Scream FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass, Hardcore, House, Garage
92.2 - Metro Love Radio (London) Reggae, D&B
92.4 - Deja Vu (London) R&B, Grime, Garage
92.9 - Klick Radio (London)
93.8 - Vibes FM (London) Reggae
94.2 - The Soul Of London Radio (London) Soul, R&B
94.4 - Flames Radio (London) Reggae, Hip Hop, R&B
94.6 - Kool FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass
95.1 - Origin FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass, Hardcore, Dubstep
95.3 - Naspa (London) Gospel, Speech
95.4 - Roots FM (London) Reggae, Soul
96.1 - S-Dance (London) House
97.5 - Blazing Radio (London) R&B, Reggae
97.9 - Passion FM (London) House
99.1 - Havit FM (London) R&B, Hip Hop, House
99.3 - Select UK (London) House
99.5 - Venture Radio (London) Reggae, Speech
99.7 - Flex FM (London) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass, Dubstep
99.8 - Supreme FM (London) R&B, Reggae, Soca
100.3 - House FM (London) House
101.2 - Unique FM (London) Hip Hop, Soul, Reggae
101.5 - Live FM UK (London) House, Garage
102.4 - Wax FM (London) Drum 'n' Bass
103.0 - Image Radio (London) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass
103.8 - Blues UK Radio (London) Blues, Hip Hop
105.6 - WBLS (London) Speech, R&B
108.0 - Pulse London Garage

Kent & Essex:
87.5 - Funky FM (Essex) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass, Dubstep
88.3 - Monster House Radio (Essex) House
91.6 - iFM (Kent) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass
92.0 - Desire FM (Essex) House, Garage, Drum 'n' Bass, Reggae
92.2 - FIP (Kent) Various
93.9 - Fresh Radio UK (London) House, Garage, Trance
106.5 - Project Radio (Essex) House

Brighton & Sussex:
87.5 - Analogue Underground Radio (Brighton) Various
88.8 - CodeSouth FM (Brighton) House, Drum 'n' Bass
91.0 - FIP (Brighton) Various
97.9 - Aggression FM (West Sussex) House
101.4 - Radio 4a (Brighton) Various, Speech

South West:
87.6 - Ashdown FM (Taunton) Pop
100.6 - Rage FM (Taunton)

Birmingham & Midlands:
87.5 - Distinct FM (Birmingham) Drum 'n' Bass
92.0 - Hot 92 (Birmingham) Soul
94.2 - Skyline Radio (Wolverhampton) Reggae
97.5 - Stingdem (Birmingham) Reggae
99.4 - Irie UK (Birmingham) Reggae
99.7 - Upbeat FM (Birmingham) House

North of England:
105.6 - FIP (Billingham) Various
<On its way - please provide some links!>

Scotland:

Ireland:

*Note 22/08/12* Some streams may not yet be updated - we'll be fixing them within the next few days.

Been checking out http://passionradiobristol.co.uk great stuff
PLays DRUM N BASS DUBSTEP ELECTRO FUNKY HOUSE GARAGE GOSPEL HIP HOP HOUSE JAZZ OLE SKOOL R'N'B RARE GROOVE REGGAE ROOTS SOCA SOUL TRANCE & PROGRESSIVE
is this a pirate? online only? anyone know the background?

Been checking out http://passionradiobristol.co.uk great stuff
PLays DRUM N BASS DUBSTEP ELECTRO FUNKY HOUSE GARAGE GOSPEL HIP HOP HOUSE JAZZ OLE SKOOL R'N'B RARE GROOVE REGGAE ROOTS SOCA SOUL TRANCE & PROGRESSIVE
is this a pirate? online only? anyone know the background?

It used to be pirate, but seems to only be online now, or at less that's what they claim. ;)

Passion FM first appeared on 106.2FM across Bristol at the end of 1994. At first it catered greatly for Jungle, as well as Reggae and Soul. Over the first Christmas period, it featured an overnight marathon show from Easygroove who hadn't been on radio since BAD Radio closed in 1989. This was a journey through Hard Techno and very obscure Jungle. Easygroove even offered a recording of the whole show on tape as a prize in a competition.

Over time, less Jungle was aired on the station and it began to just resemble a copy of Power FM which was another pirate in Bristol.

When Power FM ran an RSL as Powerjam, Passion FM took over the Power FM frequency of 104FM. In 1996 the two stations merged into Dance FM. However, by 1999 Passion FM had returned on 106.2 and Dance FM eventually stopped broadcasting.

Passion FM now broadcasts on the internet as Passion Radio Bristol and can be found at www.passionradiobristol.com

The Pirate Archive

BTW The Pirate Archive has some downloads from DBC - The Dread Broadcasting Corporation for anyone interested. :)

It turns out that BBC3 comedy thing was a mini-series on youtube first...its a bit harsher and swearier than the BBC 3 one...definiltey some funny moments in there. I think it was written by the guy who plas Steves (the space cadet raver)

For anyone who hasn't witnessed the most gripping, realistic pirate radio documentary to date, it's time to get to know the masterpiece that is "People Just Do Nothing".

It centres around the lives of a group of men who run a radio station named "Kurupt FM" in West London. Throughout the series you get a real insight into the minds of these individuals, their passion for the medium of radio and the hurdles they face throughout the operation of their station.

Follow MC Sniper, DJ Beats, Weapon X, Steves and more as they take on their competitors and strive to be the biggest and best in their class.

People (who) Just do Nothing (the main documentary) -

• Part 1 - 'No Sauce'

• Part 2 - 'Pirate Radio Special'

• Part 3 - 'Fight Fire with Fire'

• Part 4 - 'The F Word'

• Part 5 - Music Vidjeo

killer kool fm tape here - love brockies selection at this time (93, with a few 92s in there too) - classic ad break - and then fabrok gets very ugly

Adverts
(first ad for some ropey lee bridge mobile phone company )

Top Kool FM that, I always remember Skytone's ads on Kool! I presumed they were the ones that supplied Kool and Rush their legendary numbers and were always amazed that when other stations were regularly getting their phones/numbers cut-off, Kool and Rush kept their same numbers for many years :cool: :D

Top Kool FM that, I always remember Skytone's ads on Kool! I presumed they were the ones that supplied Kool and Rush their legendary numbers and were always amazed that when other stations were regularly getting their phones/numbers cut-off, Kool and Rush kept their same numbers for many years :cool: :D
yeah, definitely some dodgy connection going on there (no way they couldve afforded the advertising space i reckon)
googled Skytone on the off chance and laughed/cried when i saw that link - funny cos its so hot, but no joke really - must have got a fairly long stretch for that.

Ripped this tape for a mate of Metal Malcolm's whom I met recently - some Dream FM from the late hardcore/early happy hardcore era. Reception not all that in places but still gets me grinning everytime I hear these :D

Xtreme & VInyl Rapist - Sept 94 (here - 76MB)

Gadget & Groove Vandal - April 95 (here - 76MB)

My favourite oldskool dj pirate radio legend Mixmaster Max was on Kool today... the sets below, but first this one from where he did a guest show on Kool back in June 2012 is
http://www.mediafire.com/?511e6b3pk3b836z
all the usual tricks scratches, reggae tracks mixed over hardcore tunes, etc etc, great stuff including an interview and insights into Defection 89.4 :cool: This is him on Maddness's show ,so you have to get passed him a minute, FFWD up to 50min to get to the interview, set starts at 64mins.

....but today he was on his own http://www.mediafire.com/?t95fh0dxq24ppj2
if you havent heard him before i promise you its worth the download

Back
Top Bottom