Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lewisham Neighbourhoods Chitter Chatter

Not sure if there is an audience for a 4 screen cinema, no attacks (un) affordable housing is shit, but at least the building won't collapse

IMG_20221112_091835.jpg

I think Birds Nest is in its last days. Closure date I've heard is around March 2023.
Enjoy it while you can.
Big NYE party lined up, last orders 11am!

Very sad news
Where did you get this? I spoke to the barman the other day and the picture isn't that bad. They are going to close the pub during the redevelopment works, and the pub itself will be renovated. During that time they'll have an outdoor bar in the space outside so they won't be fully closed at all. Then they will move back into the pub and re-open. Will one of London's grungiest pubs remain the same after renovation? I guess not, and who knows if it will be able to play music as much. But the pub is going to remain it seems.

The Birds Nest hasn't been the same since the renovation. No atmosphere in the pub itself, and no decent beers. It's a mystery to me how a pub can fail to stock absolutely nothing that I really want a pint of, and I'm not the only one who used to drink there for the past couple of decades who feels that way, and goes there rarely or never. Maybe it still works as a music venue, but as a pub for a decent drinking atmosphere it was lost a while back.
Nothing wrong with the Brixton brewery beers they stock imo. They've been rubbish for draft beers for a while it's true, and it would surely only take a bit of effort to have a couple of pumps on. The current renovation I have mixed feelings about. It does change the feel of the pub, but it makes it much better for music - the stage was in a ridiculous place before.

Where did you get this? I spoke to the barman the other day and the picture isn't that bad. They are going to close the pub during the redevelopment works, and the pub itself will be renovated. During that time they'll have an outdoor bar in the space outside so they won't be fully closed at all. Then they will move back into the pub and re-open. Will one of London's grungiest pubs remain the same after renovation? I guess not, and who knows if it will be able to play music as much. But the pub is going to remain it seems.
well thats great news - i heard it from someone connected with the pub whilst at the pub, but thats pub whispers for you :thumbs:

FiLMGlKX0AIee-x

latest street view

1669232910506.png

this book is a must if you have love for Deptford

a real snapshot of Deptford community in 2020 - loads of pictures , loads of great text, big book, full colour throughout, although about gentrification its above all for me a survey of loads of what is going on in deptford at community level, from Deptford Action Group for the Elderly to the Cinema etc etc etc

Im a cheapskate and £20 is good value for what is actually in this book

Covers these kinds of things (not a full list)

No Social Cleansing in Lewisham – www.facebook.com/nosocialcleansinglewisham

Achilles Street Stop and Listen Campaign – achillesstreetstopandlisten.wordpress.com

Old Tidemill Wildlife Garden (and Reginald Road) – www.facebook.com/oldtidemillgarden

Convoys Wharf (Voice4Deptford) – www.facebook.com/voice4Deptford

Deptford Neighbourhood Action – deptfordaction.org.uk

Friends of Deptford Creek – friends.deptfordcreek.net

A Better Besson Street: A Better Besson Street: campaign for low-cost housing for New Cross | Facebook

Folkestone Voice: https://folkestonevoice.org/

The Deptford People Project – www.facebook.com/deptfordpeopleproject

Deptford Debates – www.facebook.com/DeptfordDebates

HAGL (Housing Action Greenwich & Lewisham) – www.facebook.com/HousingActionGL

Armada Community Project – www.facebook.com/armadaproject

McMillan Herb Garden – mcmillanherbgarden.webs.com

Deptford Reach – www.deptfordreach.org.uk

Second Wave Youth Arts – www.secondwave.org.uk

DAGE (Deptford Action Group for the Elderly) – www.dage.org.uk

The Albany – www.thealbany.org.uk

Deptford Lounge – deptfordlounge.org.uk

The Salvation Army, Deptford – www.salvationarmy.org.uk/deptford

Disabled People’s Contact – www.disabledpeoplescontact.org.uk

Deptford Cinema – deptfordcinema.org

The Evelyn 190 Centre – www.evelyn190centre.org.uk

999 Club – www.999club.org

Pepys Community Library – www.facebook.com/Pepys-Community-Library-698057893655355

The Deptford Dame – deptforddame.blogspot.co.uk

Crosswhatfields? – crossfields.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited:
Yeah, I was a bit annoyed when I saw the price of it - seemed ironic that it was unaffordable to people on low incomes. But I'm sure it just reflects the cost of making it.

65th anniversary of the Lewisham train crash today.

90 people lost their lives.

Does anyone know any decent men with ven that can do a 2 bed flat removal from Forest Hill to Sydenham? Full blown removal companies seem to think its ok to charge £800 for a few hours work :facepalm:

Sounds like the end is nigh for the Forest Hill Wetherspoons, The Capitol. I was hoping they wouldn't be able to sell it, and it would stay open until the end of its lease in late 2025.

Wonder what it shall be? I'm hoping its not a radical Christian Church type place, but im struggling to think of another type of business or organisation that would want the space in current times.

Last edited:
Was nice to see Honor Oak trending on Twitter over the weekend, and for a good cause

anyone recongise where this is? back of catford shopping centre bit is my guess but not sure

OUR NEW VENUE 📸

b08409b85d029e99e205811c4530b38511499f1c2bc7837329b1d80376573598.jpg
We've been promising a sneak peak of the venue for a while now, so here it is! Not much of a looker right now as the site has been derelict for 7 years, but the building has amazing potential.​
c3fa2f70ac622a8dcf2d2defbec169ca356295e4d9cda78c9457fc0438f55825.jpg
Set in it's own private courtyard with space for a 300 capacity music venue, a separate community cafe space, and room upstairs for rehearsal studios, there's endless possibilities for this space once we've given it a bit of a make-over!​
81cfd4a61aa6371cb29bb3edde752510cb5aad44f8fd19a39a5311603f493545.jpg
3b5d8af772ad488e61fa34b49a1564f0d3670fa5242ce01aeca80829746ec3ac.jpg

Someone pointed out that Paul Theroux used to live in Catford in the early 70s

"One thing about living in Catford, I reminded myself: it might be scruffy and bleak and far from central London and full of criminals, but it was a great bargain, and living there didn’t require me to get a teaching job in the US to support my writing. And it was safe; seedy but sedate: the Catford burglars committed their crimes in the wealthier parts of London, where the pickings were better."

running past (quite a good local history blog, centred on the hither green / lee patch) has done a write up of the newly refurbished broadway theatre

:)

This is the fourth event opposing the far right. I went to the last one in April. The fash contingent that turn up are tiny but vocal and very nasty. Know some people locally who were manhandled and accused of being groomers etc. Turning Point UK and their hangers-on are a very unpleasant bunch - not there to 'protect children' as they'd have you believe but links to other extreme far right groups.

Really don't want these cunts anywhere near my neighbourhood.

Me and a few mates had a good chat not that long ago about what happened in Lewisham 46 years ago this summer. It was a significant event in that NF were far outnumbered, didn't expect to be, that they were confronted by both black and white youths, locals and others that came in from other areas plus organised anti fash groups. Most importantly they got absolutely properly bashed up and annihilated. My old man described it as the - the most comprehensive, satisfying and shittiest kicking that he'd ever witnessed and had the pleasure of taking part in.

My dad went with a load of irish and black geezers that all knew each other from the pubs they used in Peckham. He told me years later that they and other small groups bashed quite a few NF in New cross and at other parts of the route to Lewisham.

Last edited:
Me and a few mates had a good chat not that long ago about what happened in Lewisham 46 years ago this summer. It was a significant event in that NF were far outnumbered, didn't expect to be, that they were confronted by both black and white youths, locals and others that came in from other areas plus organised anti fash groups. Most importantly they got absolutely properly bashed up and annihilated. My old man described it as the - the most comprehensive, satisfying and shittiest kicking that he'd ever witnessed and had the pleasure of taking part in.

My dad went with a load of irish and black geezers that all knew each other from the pubs they used in Peckham. He told me years later that they and other small groups bashed quite a few NF in New cross and at other parts of the route to Lewisham.
theres a little book called Antifascist by Martin "Lux" you might enjoy, street level account of those times
taster

Back
Top Bottom