Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lewisham Neighbourhoods Chitter Chatter

Anyone been to Catford Mews cinema> Looks good (films look crap though)

Its a shame Catford lost its proper old theater,, (taken over by a grifting church as standard)

Splash-exterior-Catford-Cinema.jpg

looking deeper looks like they show the odd 'rep' film as well as current family crop...would like to support but don't really go to the cinema anymore tbh

I've not been as not a big fan of the cinema, but apparently it is well priced and quite well maintained.

There is also meant to be a cheap bar there, again not been, but the place is always completely empty when i walk by so i wonder how they are suriving financially and also how much longer until it closes down. I guess Catford still isnt ready for nice things.

You mentioned the theatre- you dont mean the one that is currently undergoing a big refurb?

Since the whole shopping centre is owned by the council I imagine Catford Mews is there on cheap rent. But as so often the council is caught in a bit of a lose-lose bind - local council estate residents have told me they don't feel it is for them. So it just gets seen as a gentrifying force, even though it clearly is making the shopping centre better (it has unused units so they aren't pushing anyone else out). And to be fair, a cinema has pretty broad appeal - it's not like it's a champagne and oyster bar.

Apparently there's a music venue on the way, possibly here already New music venue for Catford set to open in 2022

Since the whole shopping centre is owned by the council I imagine Catford Mews is there on cheap rent. But as so often the council is caught in a bit of a lose-lose bind - local council estate residents have told me they don't feel it is for them. So it just gets seen as a gentrifying force, even though it clearly is making the shopping centre better (it has unused units so they aren't pushing anyone else out). And to be fair, a cinema has pretty broad appeal - it's not like it's a champagne and oyster bar.

Apparently there's a music venue on the way, possibly here already New music venue for Catford set to open in 2022
great news about that venue
im not sure catford is ready for it or that it will work there but Id rather the council tried to revive the mews than bulldoze it

its not gentrifying IMO - south london needs the odd music venue and cinema - few and far between considering how many poeple live here - its standard stuff in a city - we've got a mews full of street drinkers

No the old ABC cinema, I posted a pic of it in its glory

even more so when it was built

large.jpg
+

from cinema treasures

not sure if the towers were lost due to bomb blast damage or just taken down to make the structure simpler

You mentioned the theatre- you dont mean the one that is currently undergoing a big refurb?

more on the broadway theatre (previously lewisham theatre / lewisham concert hall) here

(yes i know it's in catford, but it's part of lewisham borough's town hall...)

more on lewisham (borough)'s lost cinemas

The shopping centre is pretty depressing and i wouldnt be surprised if it is owned by the council they are allowing The Mews it to run at a loss (seeing how empty it always is) to at least have something half decent there. I wonder what local council estate residents do think is for them if not a cut price cinema? i dont really like the cinema myself, but would a ticket cost more than a nail treatment, a KFC or a new mirror, as some of the other nearby units would offer?

The shopping centre is pretty depressing and i wouldnt be surprised if it is owned by the council they are allowing The Mews it to run at a loss (seeing how empty it always is) to at least have something half decent there. I wonder what local council estate residents do think is for them if not a cut price cinema? i dont really like the cinema myself, but would a ticket cost more than a nail treatment, a KFC or a new mirror, as some of the other nearby units would offer?
I think it's unfortunate that the cinema is a bit downplayed when viewed from the front. I don't recall a screen with film showing times or even a board. You have to run the gauntlet of some hipster-looking food stalls in order to get through to the cinema at the back. I think this is part of what's putting people off. If it just looked more like a cinema at the front I think it would get more customers.

What thing is this and is it still on, the picture looks great
GAIA - Lewisham

GAIA is a spectacular touring artwork by UK artist Luke Jerram. A stunning replica of our planet, created using 120dpi detailed NASA imagery of the Earth’s surface. It provides an incredible opportunity to view Earth as it might be seen from space, floating in three dimensions.

Last night tonight, best in the dark. !

GAIA - Lewisham

GAIA is a spectacular touring artwork by UK artist Luke Jerram. A stunning replica of our planet, created using 120dpi detailed NASA imagery of the Earth’s surface. It provides an incredible opportunity to view Earth as it might be seen from space, floating in three dimensions.

Last night tonight, best in the dark. !
I can make this! Is it worth it?
Turn up by 8pm would you say?
Is it outside?
(Bit confused)

Last edited:
Yes out side in the park , is it worth it, well that depends on you, but I found it very relaxing and humbling. But if you have to travel an hour plus then maybe not. 🙂

I only live 10 mins walk away so no issue for me. worth a 20 min bus ride I think. 👌

Anyone in Lewisham want my ticket to Johnny Clarke at the Fox and Firkin tonight? I'm too tired to go and I'd rather someone used it than it went to waste, I can easily email it over.

I think Birds Nest is in its last days. Closure date I've heard is around March 2023.
Enjoy it while you can.
Big NYE party lined up, last orders 11am!

Very sad news
Because of all the regeneration around it? Thats sad and I'll have to try and get down. Thanks for taking me there in the summer, it felt like a real alternative social DIY spot that we used to enjoy everywhere in London and once took for granted,until the property developers rolled in with force over the last ten years.

Do I also presume from the time of your post you got down there last night? :D Was it wicked?!
Hah yes, flames and fire 🔥 Stretch dubplate set was something else. Great music all night but what makes it really special are the crowd that go there, and that's what really makes a pub isn't it. It's a really big loss.... We're running low on options.. . If I won the lottery id buy The Venue

Presumably (not gospel) that means Aaja/snake put/red bus next door is for it too...
The arches by Deptford station fully gentrified now, record shop just moved out too...

Presumably (not gospel) that means Aaja/snake put/red bus next door is for it too...
The arches by Deptford station fully gentrified now, record shop just moved out too...
What's happening at the bus these days? If it is going would be up for a final visit there.

What's happening at the bus these days? If it is going would be up for a final visit there.
Aaja who used to be in the arches have taken it over and opened a large bar, mainly outdoor, with DJ booth and access to the bus for sitting in Aaja Music
Great spot - offically called The Snake Pit
Its quite possible they will last longer as (this is all total third hand info) I think Birds Nest have a lease running out which fastforwards their bit.

The Birds Nest hasn't been the same since the renovation. No atmosphere in the pub itself, and no decent beers. It's a mystery to me how a pub can fail to stock absolutely nothing that I really want a pint of, and I'm not the only one who used to drink there for the past couple of decades who feels that way, and goes there rarely or never. Maybe it still works as a music venue, but as a pub for a decent drinking atmosphere it was lost a while back.

Back
Top Bottom