Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leftover cooked lamb....

Didn't realise you could make these two with cooked meat.

We use the leftover lamb from roasts for shepherd's pie all the time. Have done since I was a kid. Just mince it up with some carrot and onion, get a Colman's shepherd's pie mix and make that up, pour it on the mince in a dish and cover with mashed potatoes. Bang it in the oven, and you're done :)

Forgot to say it was oatcakes with the stovies - another traditional thing to serve with it.

It will be fine on Weds if it has been chilled & stored properly.

Even with no meat, you can still make excellent stovies btw - just use stock and a mix of whatever veg is at hand - leeks, onions, swedw, kale & turnip all work well.

another vote for meatballs/rissoles, especially if you flavour them with lots of parsley or mint. or both.

or, cut into shreds, crisp them up in a pan, and tip them over a heap of hummus, throw over a few toasted nuts (hazel, pine, almond) and some parsley and a bit of olive oil . with pita bread. dead quick and somehow a million times more savoury than just hummus.

or: fry some garlic, onion, carrot and celery, chop the meat up finely (you don't need a mincer) and let it sweat a bit with the veg, then add tomato puree ... either make it into shepherd's pie or top with discs of potato and/or aubergine for a quick non-moussaka or stuff it into aubergine or other veg you like and roast.

I usually do a rerun of the roast. Bung some more roast potatoes/carrots/parsnips/beetroot on, bit more steam veg and other trimmings you like.

Then I take the leftover lamb in a roasting dish, cover it in leftover gravy, add some more seasoning, few springs of rosemary, cover tray with foil and stick back in the oven to warm through.

Typically it is usually the meat close to the bone that is left over and so it is usually a bit pink, too pink for some - so the extra 30-40mins is just the job to cook it through and still keep it tender.

Ta for all the suggestions... had all these ideas of what I'd do, and there's probably only about a sarnies worth left on the bone now :D at least it's been eaten :)

Will save the ideas for the next roast :cool:

Back
Top Bottom