Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

Compared to historical build rates, there is no doubt it is a lot. When you compare how many houses we need nationally to how many have been built annually in the past, we have very little hope of catching up in the short to medium term.

The point I was trying to make is that while Lambeth are quite rightly getting stick for the way they've gone about this, they're also caught in the middle of much wider trends. Not least a Govt ideologically obsessed with increasing home ownership rather than increasing housing supply.

What really needs to be considered is the total cost wasted on the first consultation that was deemed unlawful, the second consultation to come, and then the associated court costs spent in trying to defend an unlawful case.

Don't forget that Lambeth Council is broke and can't afford to repair homes, only regenerate six estates.

This is interesting reading for a Friday night - £2m - £4m available for an outside organisation just to run the consultation for the regeneration of the Fenwick and Central Hill estates.

This is interesting reading for a Friday night - £2m - £4m available for an outside organisation just to run the consultation for the regeneration of the Fenwick and Central Hill estates.
Amazing amount of money that..
Especially notable the bit that says whoever gets the contract will need "to take responsibility for maintaining communication with residents". They really do not want to do their own dirty work.

A piece of ungracious crap from a piece of ungracious crap arrived by post today. :)

crap1.jpg

crap2.jpg

Yep, that's me really cowed and put in my place! :D

Are they legally obliged to do work on the estate to meet the housing standard? Am wondering if delays will make them do work which would then reduce the incremental cost of any refurb.

Are they legally obliged to do work on the estate to meet the housing standard? Am wondering if delays will make them do work which would then reduce the incremental cost of any refurb.
They sort of are. The paving and weathertight repairs fall under that, and they've been very grudgingly botched after long delays.

That article is misleading. The £2-4m contract is not just for consultation, it's for a full range of architectural and city planning services, through to planning permission. The winner of the contract will either carry out this work themselves, or novate the existing design teams as subcontractors.

It's not an outrageous amount of money at all, given the scope of the job.

Whether the job is worth doing in the first place is a much more interesting question.

That article is misleading. The £2-4m contract is not just for consultation, it's for a full range of architectural and city planning services, through to planning permission. The winner of the contract will either carry out this work themselves, or novate the existing design teams as subcontractors.

It's not an outrageous amount of money at all, given the scope of the job.

Whether the job is worth doing in the first place is a much more interesting question.

Not sure you're right.
2-4 million fee doesn't seem to include the actual design proposals, just the task of pushing them through the hoops (getting planning sorted, making sure the 'consultation' goes well)?

"It is proposed that either the existing design teams will be novated across to the appointed development managers or new design teams will be procured. If new design teams are to be procured then the intention is they would be procured as a sub-consultant to the development manager." The unclarity on this might explain why it's '2 to 4' million, quite a big gap of uncertainty for a skint council.

Publication

Yes, up to 2 million quid I suppose? Bargain.

About right for a scheme of this size. RIBA pay scale ~5% of construction costs, which will probably be ~£100m given the size of the scheme. Depending on how far into detailed design they want to go and you get somewhere between half and 3/4 of that, eg £2.5-3.75m

Plenty of things to criticise Lambeth for when it comes to their housing strategy, but the fees offered for design & planning services are not one of them.

ok I see.
How new is it that all this work (the design, the legal process, the consultation, sending letters to residents) are sold by a council as a parcel to a private commercial bidder who has all of these sorts of expertise to offer at a for profit fee?

Last edited:
ok I see.
How new is it that all this work (the design, the legal process, the consultation, sending letters to residents) are sold by a council as a parcel to a private bidder who has all of these sorts of expertise ?
That's something I'm less well informed about. No idea how common this is, but I bet it's been going on for decades, to some degree.

I suspect there are two factors at work:

1. With operational budgets squeezed tight, councils can't afford to maintain a dedicated staff (on nice public sector contracts) for such things. But if they can include them as part of a contract for a project that's projected to return a profit to the council, they can write off the cost.

2. It allows them to keep the pesky public and their inconvenient opinions at arms reach.

With operational budgets squeezed tight, councils can't afford to maintain a dedicated staff (on nice public sector contracts) for such things.
In our recent adventure here in LJ we were told (as excuse / explanation) that lambeth no longer has such a thing as a 'communications department' due to recent cuts, it was just sacked.

In our recent adventure here in LJ we were told (as excuse / explanation) that lambeth no longer has such a thing as a 'communications department' due to recent cuts, it was just sacked.
Doesn't surprise me. The cuts are deep and savage.

Back
Top Bottom