Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

ViolentPanda Have you seen the central hill estate? It sits around the corner from Gypsy hill and takes in a spectacular view of central London. It's right next to Crystal Palace. It is very green and leafy and not intrusive to the feel of the area. There is also a feeling of thoughtful design about the place. A new build could be an eyesore. :(

ViolentPanda Have you seen the central hill estate? It sits around the corner from Gypsy hill and takes in a spectacular view of central London. It's right next to Crystal Palace. It is very green and leafy and not intrusive to the feel of the area. There is also a feeling of thoughtful design about the place. A new build could be an eyesore. :(

I've seen it a couple of times, but not since '91. Totally agree about the view, and you can bet any new-build will be primarily about maximising the amount of housing units, not about thoughtful, landscape-friendly and holistic design.

<snip> Have you seen the central hill estate? It sits around the corner from Gypsy hill and takes in a spectacular view of central London. It's right next to Crystal Palace. It is very green and leafy and not intrusive to the feel of the area. There is also a feeling of thoughtful design about the place. <snip>
I've seen parts of it when going past on the bus, I think. AFAIK VP hasn't been that way in a long time. But you've only to look at the photos (on FB etc) of the way it's terraced against the hillside to see that it would be very difficult to come up with a more harmonious way of building the estate.

Anyway, I'll be outside the Town Hall between 6 and 7pm tomorrow at least, seeing as some people from there showed up for this estate and I owe them that much.

Heard a couple of months ago that the 20th Century Society are trying to get the Central Hill estate listed. I was there taking photos last month and agree with the 20CS that it's one of the best of the Hollamby era estates. The report to Cabinet tonight includes an appendix on Central Hill which refers to this. Here's a screen shot of the section of the relevant part of the report.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 10.43.44.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 10.43.44.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
Sorry if this was mentioned already but apparently they want the residents to cough up for repairs before they tear it all down:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...for-repairs-on-condemned-estate-10417920.html
That seems to be a severe "kick when down" policy.
Not only does the substandard seem to glean urban for news, that article (or words to that effect) was in the Guardian last week. Ho hum.

BTW there's no "apparently" about it - talk to any leaseholder or freeholder on this estate and they'll tell you the same (I'm a tenant, but I hear from people with other types of tenure). The money is for "weathertight" repairs, which were the council's responsibility all along, and which it's neglected to the point where it'll be penalised under EU law if it doesn't get those repairs done asap.

This is on a par with the school bully taking your lunch money so that they can go and get an extra large takeaway while you do their long overdue homework as well as the work you're already doing for them.

This is on a par with the school bully taking your lunch money so that they can go and get an extra large takeaway while you do their long overdue homework as well as the work you're already doing for them.

That at least is an example that Councillor Bennett can understand, one would imagine.

That at least is an example that Councillor Bennett can understand, one would imagine.
Do try to call him by his proper name (for which my memory is abysmal) - isn't it "Twitter boy" or something similar?

Anyway, it's Central Hill estate's future in front of the Lambeth "cabinet" on Monday, 7pm. People gathering outside from 6pm. They only found out at the beginning of this week. :(
Did they find out via twitter? or did Lambeth have the decency to write?

Are many Cressingham supporters planning to attend?

<snip> Are many Cressingham supporters planning to attend?
I don't know how many planned on attending, but there was just me and another from this estate (plus at least one Friend of Brockwell Park, and somebody from ASH speaking for Central Hill), plus a handful (a very small handful at that) from each of the estates mentioned in tonight's cabinet meeting.

Not that a bigger showing would have made much of a difference to what happened in there - the council had no intention of listening.

I don't know how many planned on attending, but there was just me and another from this estate (plus at least one Friend of Brockwell Park, and somebody from ASH speaking for Central Hill), plus a handful (a very small handful at that) from each of the estates mentioned in tonight's cabinet meeting.

Not that a bigger showing would have made much of a difference to what happened in there - the council had no intention of listening.
I'm afraid I didn't make it this time - just too tired sorry.
On the plus side, I have been handing out the CG cards to lots of people I know.

Great News on the 'Go fund me Save Cressingham' site. Date of Judicial Review hearing, 3rd-4th November. Amazing work to all involved. Well Done.
If you do manage to catch them by the throat - obey Nature's Law - squeeze harder.

All we need do now is raise about another £5000 to cover the JR costs.
(Not being pessimistic, just facing the reality of the cost of a JR in a post-Legal Aid UK).

11813400_10153444566515937_8884689678839285473_n.jpg

more bad news for social housing, from todays Times - unfortunately article is all about architecture and not about the homes to be lost.
Architects fail to save brutal 1970s council estate from demolition

Robin Hood Gardens in Poplar, east London
    • 11074906-3ba3-11e5-_953022c.jpg

Robin Hood Gardens in Poplar, east London Getty Images

Jonathan Morrison Architecture Correspondent
    Published at 12:01AM, August 6 2015

Britain’s leading architects appear to have failed in an attempt to have a run-down 1970s concrete council estate preserved as a listed building.

Robin Hood Gardens in Poplar, east London, had been the centre of a battle between Tower Hamlets council, which wants it demolished, and those who feel that it should be kept for future generations. Architects backing its listed status include Lord Rogers of Riverside, Lord Foster of Thames Bank, Zaha Hadid and Rafael Viñoly, best known for the “Walkie Talkie” in London.

In 2009 the government gave the estate a certificate of immunity from listing, but that has been under review since it expired last year. The Twentieth Century Society appealed to Tracey Crouch, the heritage minister, to lift immunity, but she has now renewed the certificate for another five years. The consultation ends in 26 days’ time.

The estate was designed by Peter and Alison Smithson, who were at the forefront of the new brutalism movement.

Lord Rogers, who designed the Lloyds Building in the City, expressed his disappointment yesterday. “I offered to find a private developer to buy the estate but was told by the council it was impossible. So we’re planning to destroy a building for what amounts to party political games. In my opinion, it is the most important social housing development from the postwar era.”

Emily Gee, Historic England’s head of designation, said: “We stand by our view that Robin Hood Gardens does not meet the very high threshold for listing. By the time the building was completed, the ‘streets-in-the-air’ approach was at least 20 years old. The building has some interesting qualities, but the architecture is bleak.”

Somewhat short notice for this, which is on the coming Tuesday (11th August):

The Cabinet decision from July 13th has been called in for scrutiny on 11th August 2015. People who were there will remember that there wasn't even a show of hands over the decision.

It'll be interesting to see if the councillors on the scrutiny committee will do a proper job and actually scrutinise. The demolition proposal which even the council says doesn't meet its expectations could do with looking at properly.

One councillor will definitely be fighting our corner this coming Tuesday. He doesn't have to, as he's not one of our ward councillors, he's Scott Ainslie.

I thought it would be a nice gesture if some of us turn up at the Town Hall and show support for him (as well as for Save Cressingham Gardens) between 6pm and 7pm. If you can be outside the Town Hall in your T shirt (or without it), please be there. If you prefer to walk down first, you'll need to be outside the Rotunda for 5.30 pm sharp, but that's optional - I won't ask anyone to walk down who'd be better off taking the bus, or a minicab, or coming straight from work etc.

There will be reminders about this for those not on the net. Brixton Buzz and the SLP will be contacted. Please spread the word. Thank you.

Last edited:
Somewhathort notice for this, which is on the coming Tuesday (11th August):

The Cabinet decision from July 13th has been called in for scrutiny on 11th August 2015. People who were there will remember that there wasn't even a show of hands over the decision.

It'll be interesting to see if the councillors on the scrutiny committee will do a proper job and actually scrutinise. The demolition proposal which even the council says doesn't meet its expectations could do with looking at properly.

One councillor will definitely be fighting our corner this coming Tuesday. He doesn't have to, as he's not one of our ward councillors, he's Scott Ainslie.

I thought it would be a nice gesture if some of us turn up at the Town Hall and show support for him (as well as for Save Cressingham Gardens) between 6pm and 7pm. If you can be outside the Town Hall in your T shirt (or without it), please be there. If you prefer to walk down first, you'll need to be outside the Rotunda for 5.30 pm sharp, but that's optional - I won't ask anyone to walk down who'd be better off taking the bus, or a minicab, or coming straight from work etc.

There will be reminders about this for those not on the net. Brixton Buzz and the SLP will be contacted. Please spread the word. Thank you.

I can be there

Back
Top Bottom