Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just finished watching The Wire, what next?

Sasaferrato

Super Refuser!
I have just finished, literally, watching all five series of The Wire.

Can anyone suggest something else to watch? Preferably at least four series.

(Virgin post for me in this forum. :D)

Generation Kill (1st recon marines fucking up iraq 1 a lot)

Sons of Anarchy (biker gangs, gunrunning and stuff)

I've been waiting to find the time to start the The Sopranos @ 86 episodes spread over 6 series it's quite a commitment. :D

Sons of Anarchy, I watched just before The Wire, it is excellent.
The Sopranos, I have, but just cannot get into, I'll try again in a while.
Deadwood? What is it about?

Ladies and gentlemens, we have a winner! 'Damages' it shall be. I will get my trusty torrent beast onto it straight away. :D

Bogias is quite fun. Jeremy Irons IS the borgia pope. Theres a great little bantam weight bastard playing micholleto, personal assasin to Cesare Borgia.

Loads of boobs and catholic imagery

Ladies and gentlemens, we have a winner! 'Damages' it shall be.

Prepare for some late nights. We watched the whole 1st series over 2 days. Each episode ends with a cliffhanger and you just have to see the next one.

Also, the episodes all have titles and the title is a spoken line from that episode. See if you can spot it.

Sons of Anarchy, I watched just before The Wire, it is excellent.
The Sopranos, I have, but just cannot get into, I'll try again in a while.
Deadwood? What is it about?

Ladies and gentlemens, we have a winner! 'Damages' it shall be. I will get my trusty torrent beast onto it straight away. :D

Deadwood: about a town in the old West. It starts out kind of slow - I had to force myself to watch the first three episodes - but once it gets going, it becomes almost Shakespearean.

Breaking Bad. Sons of Anarchy is woeful and I couldn't bring myself to care what happened to any of the characters in The Sopranos.

Prepare for some late nights. We watched the whole 1st series over 2 days. Each episode ends with a cliffhanger and you just have to see the next one.

Also, the episodes all have titles and the title is a spoken line from that episode. See if you can spot it.
Once you've done Damages, a nice counterpoint is a French series called Engrenages [Spiral]. French lawyers and cops.

Seconded Generation Kill and Breaking Bad. Sons of Anarchy is OK but not in the same league.

What IS in the same league (maybe even better in some respects) are series 1-5 (and maybe 6, but definitely not 7) of HOMICIDE - also murderous, also set in Baltimore, also based on David Simon's time with the B'mo' cop squad and some of the finest US TV ever made - very experimental, chock full of great actors and music and basically everything that's great about the Wire in embryo.

Ranging further and risking you not liking: Oz (bonkers, bloody, rape-heavy prison drama) won a lot of fans among Wire fanatics. You might ... might ... also like Game of Thrones, if you're not allergic to dragons.

Good luck with your watching assignments over the next few years.

Once you've done Damages, a nice counterpoint is a French series called Engrenages [Spiral]. French lawyers and cops.

We're watching that now. Halfway through series 2. The crooked/junkie cops, dodgy lawyers, and strange French legal system are great. Not a patch on Damages though.

We're watching that now. Halfway through series 2. The crooked/junkie cops, dodgy lawyers, and strange French legal system are great. Not a patch on Damages though.

being not vastly endowed with grey matter I had to have the inquisitorial as opposed to adversarial legal system explained to me. I'm not sure I like the french system. A judge with a grudge could decide to take you up as personal vendetta or something :hmm:

I preferred Engrenages, although I very much liked Damages. I thought the characters in Engrenages were more human. It's as if Damages is a well written whodunit; Engrenages is a character study that happens to be in a police/crime setting.

being not vastly endowed with grey matter I had to have the inquisitorial as opposed to adversarial legal system explained to me. I'm not sure I like the french system. A judge with a grudge could decide to take you up as personal vendetta or something :hmm:

Yep. The prosecutors doing the investigations takes some getting used to as well.

Back
Top Bottom