Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

John Oliver explains the World Cup and FIFA to Americans

That FIFA crowd seem like a bunch of arrogant twats.

I have a vague theory- in america land the corruption and illegal betting having been so long a real money spinner for the mafia (the pre drug faves- protection, bookmaking, prostitution) that governing bodies for the big team sports are under greater scrutiny, actual oversight and consequences. So while it no doubt goes on, its a little less brazen. Who can call FIFA to account? the pope? the ghost of pele?

I have a vague theory- in america land the corruption and illegal betting having been so long a real money spinner for the mafia (the pre drug faves- protection, bookmaking, prostitution) that governing bodies for the big team sports are under greater scrutiny, actual oversight and consequences. So while it no doubt goes on, its a little less brazen. Who can call FIFA to account? the pope? the ghost of pele?

Also, if I recall correctly, there were some prominent bribery/game-fixing scandals as early as the Twenties, with baseball [the name 'Shoeless Joe Jackson' comes to mind, might be wrong]. The public scandal and outrage was big enough that it's reverberated through organized sports in the US, to the present day.

Back
Top Bottom