Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jobcentres tricking people off benefits

Some JCP call, sorry contact centre managers jump on people after 12 and a half minutes away from their desks for 'comfort' breaks. IN A WORKING DAY! So, if you've got the shits these days your fit enough to be at work but when you turn up we'll sack you for having a shit or two.

In places like ClientLogic/Sitel you are allowed 15mins per day in 'activity 9' code (toilet break) but realistically if you're in any 'not ready'* code for more than a few minutes they're straight over giving you hell.

They have a full-time employee watching the screen and it starts flashing after 2mins to flag up anyone in not ready.

*Not ready = not taking calls.

Very interesting turn of events today. Fed, have heard very similar things btw from another PCS active member who is being very co-operative ;-)

Broken of Britain are running #tag campaign on Twitter for the next couple of days, for any clicktivists with a few seconds to spare.

#dwp45

#fitforwork

Some of these tweets are proper genius, well worth reading through, there's a strand of posts like "Narcoleptic? Get a job as a bed tester #fitforwork #dwp45" that ones a bit crap but I can't remember the really good ones, funny and sad at the same time.

The job centre stuff is making me angry this morning. fucking scum (not the staff, the management/politician). Gonna try really hard to get the west mids IWW unemployed branch involved with your thing. I've kept half an eye on this thread but please let me know what I can do, got school holidays over the next couple of weeks so can put some time into it.

'bbc deleted first post about this apparently'

The BBC approach to the cuts, etc is very alarming, ITV News for example have been running really good in depth reports about the impact of the cuts every day last week, the BBC is not covering the cuts under any rubric at all, just occassional reprts...

'Two die while waiting for Appeals:

www.inclusionscotlan...

Blog by Sue Marsh

"Since I’ve started writing this blog, I’ve been shocked by how many sick or disabled people say they can’t go on. Not dramatically, but matter-of-factly. Time and time again. At least weekly, I’ve heard from people in despair, unable to go through another assessment or take yet another cut in their already meagre lifestyles."

"I discovered this week that no-one actually keeps statistics into how much more likely sick or disabled people are to end their own lives. One NHS document reports that it is a “significant risk factor” but the ONS confirmed to me that they had no studies at all on record. With this in mind, if suicide does increase amongst this vulnerable group, no-one will know."

liberalconspiracy.or...

The Black Triangle Disability Protest group was formed as a result of the suicide of Paul Reekie, after having his IB and HB stopped

madpride.org.uk/foru...

A death of a man who hanged himself after being given 0 points at a scond medical having only recently won a tribunal:

disabilitymessageboa...

And of course the campaign posted on You Tube by Stu Wyatt to ask ATOS and Department of Health, what their euthansia options are:

www.abcofesa.co.uk/b...

Disability AllianceConsultation on DLA Reform

"..disturbing number of disabled people saying they will kill themselves if their benefits are cut. Last month a poll for campaign group Disability Alliance, found that 9% of recipients said losing DLA "may make life not worth living".'

some powerful posts there..

Oh dear, I'm a workshy skiver :(

The joys of MS
It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, I think I'll go to the pub and sit reading the paper in the garden.
It's the first day I've felt mobile and not in too much pain for weeks, oh dear me, maybe I should make an effort to look as shit as I usually feel in case someone thinks I'm scamming.

AFAIK sunlight, fresh air and doing what makes you happy are all recognised as being good for people with MS - sod the DWP, IMHO any doctor would back you up on this one.

Go and get your treatment, Yardbird. :cool:

Ministers DID countenance targets, knew they exosted, knew they were part of PA competencies and lied when asked about their existence.

Ministers have made public statements about the fucking targets they were aiming for, so how they can claim targets weren't set is beyond me. Are we supposed to believe that when a government ministers stands up in the house of commons and claims the government has set a target of reducing the number of benefit claimants by X they are lying to Parliament and in fact when civil servants attempt to work to those publicly stated targets they are acting without authority. Or are we supposed to believe that government ministers react to discovering that they are directly responsible for causing suffering to many and death to a few by lying about it and blaming it on somebody else. Either way it's another proof that for the last few decades we have been governed by people who don't have sufficient moral principles to be allowed to clean the toilets in Parliament, let alone be MPs.

Ministers DID countenance targets, knew they exosted, knew they were part of PA competencies and lied when asked about their existence.

Frank Field 16 June 1997

Lord Hunt 2 Mar 2006

Tory policy is to reduce the number of IB claimants by 120,000 a year. 8 Jan 2008

And so on. For as long as I can remember government ministers have told parliament and everyone else how they will reduce the number of people claiming benefit by this that or the other amount, BEFORE ASSESSING CLAIMANTS. Whether it's claiming they know how much fraud will be detected in JSA, or how many IB claimants will turn out to be fits for work, they make a big thing of publicly stating how much money they will save. Often they give quite precise figures of how many claimants they say will be coming off benefit. Are we now supposed to believe that they make these claims but give no instructions to the DWP about them?

UK Uncut to pay the Daily Mail a visit:

Join disability activists, benefit claimants groups and all decent right-thinking people outside the so called Daily Mail to demand Stop the Defamation - Stop the Lies.

The Daily Mail's chairperson is Viscount Rotheremere, a non-dom who avoids UK taxes on his vast wealth by claiming to live in France despite owning a £40 million house with a 220-acre estate in Wiltshire.

As part of the third National Day of Action Against Benefit Cuts a protest has been called outside the Daily Mail's head office in Kensington on 14th April 2011.

I don't think this is a uncut event and I wonder how many uncutters will turn up, i hope to be pleasantly surprised...

Photo-0129.jpg i'm in nottingham and saw this flyer - sorry for the poor pic quality :O the text is: 'mutual aid. Community cafe, benefits self-help, legal support, ideas for resistance.' it was held at the sumac centre, 245 gladstone rd, forest fields on 27 march and today apparently. Not sure if there'll be more.... :)

An interesting wee letter from Chris Grayling MP to DWP staff...... Remember Duncan-Smith said targets don't exist, he knows and it's a disgrace to claim it wellll....... Check the boldened bit. The big lie is thir claim to have only found out..... They have known ALL ALONG

Dear colleague

I thought it was time that I wrote to you all to give you an update on progress with the welfare reforms and to thank you for your hard work throughout the last year. I appreciate how quickly you moved to introduce the measures to Get Britain Working and the good response to reducing unnecessary costs. I also wanted to give you some more information about how we hope things will develop in the months ahead. In particular I wanted to talk about your role in making the reforms a reality around the country.

There are three major elements to our plans for changes to the welfare and welfare to work systems as well as a number of smaller changes in the pipeline.

The first is the plan to replace all the existing out of work benefits and tax credits with the Universal Credit. The Credit will be structured in a way that means that support for claimants tapers off at a steady rate once a claimant gets into work, meaning that they will always be better off working more hours or earning more money. It should put an end to the process of working with a customer to establish whether they are better off going back to work.

At the moment the legal changes needed for this are being debated in the House of Commons and, if all goes well, they should be approved later this year. We will give you more information as time goes by, but the Universal Credit is on track to be launched for new claims in 2013.

The second major reform is the move of more than 1.5 million claimants off incapacity benefit, either onto Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or, if they are found fit for work, to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA). As you may know, we have made a number of changes to the process we will use to assess existing Incapacity Benefit (IB) claimants as a result of an independent review by Professor Malcolm Harrington and as a result of a trial exercise in Burnley and Aberdeen. We will also be making changes to the way we assess new claimants for ESA as well. I am planning to send you a package of information about the new approach in the next two to three weeks so you are fully aware of what to expect.

We have now started the full roll-out of the migration of claimants off IB, though it will not be until later in the summer that you will see significant results from the process. This is because it takes several weeks for claimants to be contacted, assessed to see if they are fit to attend a work capability assessment, invited to the assessment and then a decision is taken.

The third major element of our reforms is the introduction of the Work Programme. This will replace all of our existing employment programmes, and will start in June in most parts of the country. The Work Programme is a very new approach to this kind of work with the longer term unemployed, as the providers are paid on a payment by results basis. For conventional adult job seekers, for example, they are only paid a full success fee when a claimant has been in work for eighteen months. We are giving them freedom to design individualised support, but the success payments mean that they will have to follow the best possible approach to welfare to work if they are to be rewarded financially. Again, we will provide more information to you about the Work Programme in your area shortly.

The flexibility we are giving Work Programme providers is also a key part of the way we want you and your colleagues in Jobcentre Plus to work in future. We want you to have much more discretion in the nature of the support you provide to jobseekers, and do what you believe is right for them. We have removed almost all of Jobcentre Plus’s targets, and have introduced the Flexible Fund to allow local teams to decide how best to spend the financial support that we provide to Jobcentre Plus customers as they look for work. We know that this is a new way of working for many of you, but we want to trust the judgement of our front-line staff to a much greater degree than has been the case in the past.

There are a number of ways in particular where we would like you to use your discretion.

There has been some coverage in recent weeks of targets being set in Jobcentre Plus for the number of sanctions being issued. When I found out about this, I gave instructions that this is to stop.

As far as I am concerned, it is for your judgement about whether a sanction is appropriate. As ministers we want a system that is firm, but fair. I want our welfare system to be a clear two-way contract. I want us to do everything we can to help people find work. But equally I expect claimants to be doing everything they can to find work as well. The sanctions regime is to be used when people are failing to live up to their responsibilities, and I would want you to use the system firmly when this is happening. But where there are specific issues, like for example a mental health problem, it is really important that you use your discretion and apply common sense.
Following an extended discussion I had with frontline staff last summer, we are also introducing a new scheme to help you handle cases where a customer has clearly become demotivated and is not pulling their weight in jobsearch. In a few weeks time we will introduce Mandatory Work Activity. This will allow you to refer a customer on a mandatory basis for a month of near full-time activity on a local community project. They will be expected to continue to sign on and look for jobs while on the project.

We are starting the scheme on a relatively small scale across the country to see how it works, but it should give teams in the Jobcentre Plus offices an extra tool to use in cases where you believe a period of compulsory activity would be beneficial. There will be no set rules about when to refer someone – you are all best placed to know when it will be most valuable.

You will also know that we have recently changed the rules on Work Experience. I wanted you to be aware that it is not our intention that the Work Experience scheme should be totally inflexible. As you know, the prime purpose of the change is to help young jobseekers, and we have set aside funds to provide support, such as paying travel costs, to young people who are offered placements. Our intention is that this financial support should be targeted at 18-24 year olds, not just 18-21 year olds, who have been looking for a job unsuccessfully for at least three months.

But apart from the payment of expenses, the Work Experience scheme is not intended to be applied rigidly. If, for example, you have a placement that is really only suitable for an older worker, there is no earthly reason not to offer it to someone in that position – for example to a long term carer who is now looking to return to work. Nor, if there is a really important reason to do so, is it essential to wait three months before placing a younger jobseeker. Essentially just apply common sense.

And generally this typifies the approach that we want you to take. If you think something in the way we are handling a particular jobseeker is stupid, then the chances are that I would as well. So please don’t be afraid to push back, and please don’t be afraid to use discretion on the ground. I’d much rather we made a few mistakes, than ended up treating people wrongly because the rules were too inflexible.

This is going to be a really challenging period for everyone in Jobcentre Plus as we go through the combined tasks of reforming the welfare system, dealing with our unemployment challenges, and making essential changes to the organisation.

I very much appreciate the work that everyone in the organisation is putting into meeting these challenges. I intend to visit as many Jobcentres and Contact and Benefit Delivery Centres as I can over the next few months and so will look forward to holding discussion sessions with many of you.

With best wishes

Chris Grayling

Minister for Employment

An interesting wee letter from Chris Grayling MP to DWP staff...... Remember Duncan-Smith said targets don't exist, he knows and it's a disgrace to claim it wellll....... Check the boldened bit. The big lie is thir claim to have only found out..... They have known ALL ALONG

Don't worry, this letter is already is already being used in 'performace reviews'. Necks are being wound in.

I work in a jobcentre and it's true, there are a couple of utter cunts like that there.

However most of us are decent human beings who want to do the best we can to help people and fuck any targets around it.

Don't tar us all with the same brush please.

One less cunt today eh. Roll on next Friday then that's two cunts down. Still work to do........

*Very disturbing and upsetting reading*.
Up the Revolution is an *understatement of what is required and JUSTICE for these people/us who are going through it*

Reactions: ymu
I work in a jobcentre and it's true, there are a couple of utter cunts like that there.

However most of us are decent human beings who want to do the best we can to help people and fuck any targets around it.

Don't tar us all with the same brush please.

Hi looking for some advice, I was asked today to apply for a job by my advisor at the job centre, they said they would email me the application form and I had to complete and send it back via email by the close of yesterday. I was advised the vacancy was for home Bargains (store) Retail Assistant 20 hours a week. I returned the completed application form around 3:30pm. Later on in the evening I received an email back from a different job centre adviser with my normal advisor cc into the email. The email read thank you for submitting an application for a cleaner with Asda (facility management) you are invited to attend an interview Thursday at 1pm. I'm quite distressed about this as I have no pay details/working hours or have any idea of what this job will entail. This is not the vacancy I applied for as the application form has Home Bargains written all over it. I have kept a copy of the application form. I'm worried that a) if I don't turn up for interview I will be sanctioned or b) are they allowed to do this?

<snip> Later on in the evening I received an email back from a different job centre adviser with my normal advisor cc into the email. The email read thank you for submitting an application for a cleaner with Asda (facility management) you are invited to attend an interview Thursday at 1pm. I'm quite distressed about this as I have no pay details/working hours or have any idea of what this job will entail. This is not the vacancy I applied for as the application form has Home Bargains written all over it. I have kept a copy of the application form. I'm worried that a) if I don't turn up for interview I will be sanctioned or b) are they allowed to do this?
(((infused))) That sounds extremely dodgy. IMHO what you could reasonably do is attend the interview but explain during it that you thought you'd applied for a different job and there's been a muddle with the email sent to you.
a) I think you're right, you could be sanctioned for not turning up to an interview for a job you've been directed to apply for.
b) Whether the jobcentre are allowed to do this is beside the point - they've gone and done it. Morallly dubious and IMHO unprofessional but that wouldn't stop some jobcentre etc staff trying it on like that. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom