Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Not Crap

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Storm Fox

Trying the find the next noun to verb
I know she is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me Ys is one of the most amazing albums out there.

Years ago I saw her at the Albert Hall and she seemed as amazed to be playing there as the audience was to see her.

I loved that Orange (?) advert about the New York powercut which had her song This Side of the Blue as the soundtrack. That’s about all I know of her.

Well I've listened to Ys and I'm listening to Milk-Eyed Mender which is perhaps even better. People comment on her voice which maybe a bit marmite but I'm even more struck by how she plays the harp. I love what she's doing rhythmically also love that she's prepared to reach vocally. Astonishing stuff really. Where next?

I saw her in a tiny jazz club in Manchester on her first UK tour and she was wonderful (Milk Eyed Mender had just come out and David Eggers wrote about her in very glowing terms in the Guardian, and she was playing there that evening so I went). I didn't care for her next album and haven't bothered following her since, but that first LP is magical.

Listening to Divers now. It's absolutely extraordinary. There's a bit of a band and an orchestra and the arrangements are tasteful and full of colour and the songs are beyond Joni Mitchell levels of complex (I mean seriously!!). Having said that I like her best when she's just got her harp, with all this orchestration, the rhythmic eccentricies have been ironed out.

Back
Top Bottom