Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jimmy Carter to receive hospice care at home

The Carter Center, founded by Jimmy Carter, has been instrumental in eliminating Guinea worm infections:

Guinea worm infections dropped to just more than a dozen worldwide last year, getting closer to fulfilling former President Jimmy Carter’s dream of completely eradicating the disease during his lifetime.

The Carter Center reported on Wednesday that only 14 human cases of Guinea worm disease were reported in all of 2021, the result of years of public health campaigns to improve access to safe drinking water in Africa. People who drink unclean water can ingest parasites that can grow a metre (three feet) long before painfully emerging from the skin.

The Atlanta-based centre founded by Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, said the remaining infections occurred in just four countries in sub-Saharan Africa; Chad, Sudan, Angola, and Cameroon.

That is a decline of nearly half compared with the previous year, when 27 cases were reported in seven African countries. And it is a staggering drop from when The Carter Center began leading the global eradication effort in 1986, when the parasitic disease infected 3.5 million people. Carter, 97, has made eradicating the disease one of his many missions.

“To say that we only have 14 human beings on a planet of almost eight billion people is quite a phenomenal track record for the Guinea worm program,” Adam Weiss, director of The Carter Center’s Guinea Worm Eradication Program, told The Associated Press.

From 3.5 million infections down to 14, is a serious accomplishment.

Guinea worm infections are pretty horrific:

Last edited:
Bloody hell! It is a miracle that he made it to 98.

And apparently active, lucid and involved right into his old age!

One of my oldest friends from school is married to one of his accountants - I saw them both at her Father's funeral last year and got all sorts of stories. They absolutely loved him!

The background is that after training with an oil firm here, he took a job with a US firm that took them all over Europe, till he took early retirement and settled in London. Where to keep his hand-in, he started working part time for a couple of charities, until the day he got a call - "President Carter would like to invite over to New York to discuss some work". So for the best part of the last decade, he has been handling the Carter Foundation's European interests!

He is an absolute teuchter as well - with the thickest Aberdeenshire country accent you could hope to hear. Years of working abroad/with Americans has not altered it one bit. I always wondered how that must have gone down..! :D

Another important thing to remember about Carter is that he installed solar panels at the White House.. He had a good understanding of the need to move away from oil and to renewables:

For President Jimmy Carter, it had been nearly three years of tough fighting for clean energy. After a long rollout of green tax credits, the creation of a nascent Energy Department, and a pledge to conduct the “moral equivalent of war” (at the time, spoofed by critics as “MEOW”) against an energy crisis, Carter had built up scars. And there would be more to come. He had had battles with Congress and with his political enemies over green issues. But he had some victories, too, and this day brought one more, a small moment of symbolism.

Solar panels, some 32 of them, were on the roof of the White House. The set was just right – the sun had come out for the press as though for a stage call. Tape rolled, the cameras snapped.

Self-conscious about his own idealism, or perhaps just realistic, the President gave voice to his doubts about the panels: “A generation from now, this solar heater can either be a curiosity, a museum piece, an example of a road not taken, or it can be a small part of one of the greatest and most exciting adventures ever undertaken by the American people.”

The point of all this was simple, Carter said. America was to harness “the power of the sun to enrich our lives as we move away from our crippling dependence on foreign oil.”

Carter was a person of simplicity, of conservation; he was also sort of an oddball, a hybrid, an anti-political Christian proto-green who had donned a cardigan sweater, lowered the White House thermostat, and declared “Sun Day” on May 3, 1978.

He also proposed energy efficiency standards for homes and lowered the speed limit on federal highways to 55, which saved millions of gallons of gasoline. The Republicans, of course, hated this and would rather depend on the Saudis and others for oil. He established the Department of Energy and the Department of Education. If you look at any Republican list of proposed cuts, these departments are always first on the list. If we had followed his plan, the US would be carbon neutral and a leader in green technology by now.

Last edited:
He ended the fiasco in Vietnam.

As a candidate for President, he sabotaged peace talks that would have ended the war sooner than that. Its all on tape:

Even so, I'm pretty sure he didn't do anything other candidates or Presidents haven't done. He just got caught.

He ended the fiasco in Vietnam.
i think you'll find the north vietnamese ended the fiasco in vietnam
Vietnam.jpg

I have a friend who was diagnosed with the same form of cancer. He didn't have insurance because the company he worked for cut their workforce. He got minimal treatment, a little surgery, but no radiation or chemo. He died a year later at 35. If we're going to ration care, we should find a better way to do than who has more power or money.
I had an uncle who was watching (in shorts and shirtsleeves with his hand over his eyes for protection) the nuclear testing in Australia. Died of cancer in his 40s.

The response I've got on this thread is just further confirmation that the politics of these forums is utterly fucking dire. Fuck this shitty, garbage site.

The response I've got on this thread is just further confirmation that the politics of these forums is utterly fucking dire. Fuck this shitty, garbage site.

the ICT's forums are still open (unlike the ICC's), and you've linked to them before.
you could try there! not too busy either, you could make a mark.

Well done on reaching 100. Hopefully he'll slip off peacefully now. If he's at hospice level probably not much quality of life left.

I had an uncle who was watching (in shorts and shirtsleeves with his hand over his eyes for protection) the nuclear testing in Australia. Died of cancer in his 40s.
When I was at QEMH in Woolwich, every Friday lunchtime we had a clinical meeting, sponsored by whichever drug company, who provided lunch.

The subjects varied, with bot external and internal presentations.

One Friday, the speaker was a statistician from the MOD, whose topic was that there was no increase in the rates or types of cancer amongst witnesses to the British nuclear tests. This to a room full of medics.

The normal process at the end of the presentation was that whoever was in the chair would invite the usual show of appreciation for the speaker(s), and announce what was on the following week.

At the end, Brigadier Crawford (who was acting CO) stood up, announced the following week's topic, and walked off the stage followed by the rest of us, in absolute silence, leaving the red faced MOD prick standing alone on the stage.

He's definitely seen them come and go - maybe he's hanging on to see the election results, or at least until early voting starts in Georgia in a couple of weeks

chrome-capture-2024-10-1 (2).png

Back
Top Bottom