Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jesus Myth Theory

This particular second coming hasn’t quite lived up to its billing has it
It's even worse than the eagerly awaited return of ern and that really is saying something. It's like paying money to see your favourite rock star who's come out of retirement only to discover they're totally out of shape, can't sing, murders all your most loved tunes and - worst of all - has adopted a whole slew of vile political beliefs and conspiracy theories.

Dwyer's religious nuttery is nothing new, though. He's always been a religious nut. See his interminable 'rational proof of god' thread.

Which ones? None of the gospels are eyewitness accounts, and all are post the AD 70 destruction of the temple (which is why they predict it).
All the doom and gloom 'prophesy' about the destruction of the temple has been adopted by weirdo evangelists to refer to the end of the world, last days, second coming stuff.

Which ones? None of the gospels are eyewitness accounts, and all are post the AD 70 destruction of the temple (which is why they predict it).
The First Epistle of Peter was ostensibly, and many scholars believe may actually have been, written by Simon Peter, from Rome.

It's even worse than the eagerly awaited return of ern and that really is saying something. It's like paying money to see your favourite rock star who's come out of retirement only to discover they're totally out of shape, can't sing, murders all your most loved tunes and - worst of all - has adopted a whole slew of vile political beliefs and conspiracy theories.
Like an 80s/90s Smiths fan waking from a 30 year coma

Dwyer is Ian Brown??!!!

All the doom and gloom 'prophesy' about the destruction of the temple has been adopted by weirdo evangelists to refer to the end of the world, last days, second coming stuff.
Well if you read my earlier post mentioning SP Laurie you will see that this sort of weird thinking was around going back to the books of Daniel and Enoch.
Apparently (I haven't got my head round it yet) there is in Enoch the concept of the "Apocalypse of Weeks" which no doubt led to all the excitement by Darby (Dispensationalism, Plymouth Bretheren) and Miller (Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses, and also of course Joseph Smith (Mormons).
Should anybody be interested there is a commentary here on the Animal Apocalypse - a key part of the First Book of Enoch
All this stuff well predates Christ or the New Testament - but was highly influential in the New Testament construction.

It's disruptive shite. Out of phase with urban. What other dread beasts from ancient times are set to be unleashed upon the people?

Well if you read my earlier post mentioning SP Laurie you will see that this sort of weird thinking was around going back to the books of Daniel and Enoch.
Apparently (I haven't got my head round it yet) there is in Enoch the concept of the "Apocalypse of Weeks" which no doubt led to all the excitement by Darby (Dispensationalism, Plymouth Bretheren) and Miller (Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses, and also of course Joseph Smith (Mormons).
Should anybody be interested there is a commentary here on the Animal Apocalypse - a key part of the First Book of Enoch
All this stuff well predates Christ or the New Testament - but was highly influential in the New Testament construction.
William Blake, The Book of Enoch and Emmanuel Swedenborg
One significant feature of the book of Enoch is its angelology. This is the book with fallen angels, many angels named and their role in the "end times".
Blake seems to have been influenced by this text - but also by Swedenborg.
It seems unlikely Swedenborg knew the book of Enoch - which was discovered in Ethiopia in 1773 - the year after Swedenborg died.
So where did Swedenborg get all his visionary stuff from - and why did Blake, who was at first a follower of Swedenborg, later feel able to pick and choose from Swedenborg's smorgasbord of Heaven and Hell? In the Caves of Heaven and Hell: Swedenborg and Printmaking in Blake's Marriage [Part III of The Evolution of William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell]

An option for the defender of Anselm: claim that ... premise of Gaunilo’s argument is false, because the Lost Island cannot be conceived to exist in reality. An argument that the idea of a greatest possible island is incoherent in a way that the idea of a greatest possible being is not.

An option for the defender of Anselm: claim that ... premise of Gaunilo’s argument is false, because the Lost Island cannot be conceived to exist in reality. An argument that the idea of a greatest possible island is incoherent in a way that the idea of a greatest possible being is not.
that was Anselm's actual reply to Gaunilo, iirr. They were certainly roughly contemporaneous.

It's also a bloody rubbish reply.

that was Anselm's actual reply to Gaunilo, iirr. They were certainly roughly contemporaneous.

It's also a bloody rubbish reply.
Yes, you are correct; which is why I italicized it. To me, Gaunilo's argument is just as bad as Anelm's reply...

Back
Top Bottom