Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jester Wright?

He wasn't *depicted* as an insubstantial loon - he acted that way. He could have been a dignified and competent analyst, but he wasn't. He was a jingoistic cretin with about as much insight as my hamster.

If I had a hamster, but you understand the rhetorical device...;)

Matt

His argument was that his opinions were always marginalised. To be honest I can't really remember because I tend to switch off when it comes to any BBC international analysis.

Get rid of Lineker, bring in Chiles.

Get rid of Hansen and Shearer, bring in Keown, Peacock and Dixon.

The quality of analysis on MOTD2 is lightyears ahead of the very, very stale MOTD.

Martin Jacques post is risible. The bloke made an arse of himself with that piece.

There's a reason Garth Crooks is "rarely given frontline exposure". He's one of the worst football pundits out there. Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

Arsenal legend but a godam awful pundit,wonder how the others felt when discussing his sons England performances when Wrighty was on the panel,anyway RTEs Giles and Dunphy shit all over the Beebs pundits.

The quality of analysis on MOTD2 is lightyears ahead of the very, very stale MOTD.

I'd agree, I prefer watching MOTD2 to MOTD.

Lineker has got to the point with Match of the Day whereby he thinks it's his, and nobody else can present it. Just like Des Lynam was 10 years ago.

Wright offered absolutely nothing to the Beeb. He spoke in the style of a fan with very selective vision. Hansen, Dixon, Lawro, et al are much better, although I never quite understand why pundits always have to be ex-players. Why not get Henry Winter, James Lawton or another journalist who aren't going to be afraid to slag off their ex-colleagues?

If anyone watched MOTD last night Gary Lineker had a slight or sly little dig at Wrighty at the start (see below for quote):

"It's an important week in the Premier League, so there's no time for court jesters and we're joined by Alan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson." Or words to that effect.

"Wrighty's" character on MOTD was the mirror of all his other TV appearances, so I think everyone knew what they were getting from day one.

There's a reason Garth Crooks is "rarely given frontline exposure". He's one of the worst football pundits out there. Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

What exactly is it that makes him a poor pundit? He's one of my favourites really. He speaks in such ridiculously long sentences.

forcing him into the role of a "comedy jester"

skips into new role as a presenter on the rather high brow 'gladiators', soon to appear on tv

I'm not sure why you need an analyst on telly anyway? - On the radio, yeah, cos it tempers the view given by the commentator and has a practical reason but on telly you can see the game so why do you need someone to tell you about what you just saw? - I never minded Ian Wright when he was on to be honest, just seemed something that became fashionable, to slag him off, at least he got excited about it occaisionally and he's right that they all look like knobs in suits, like some golfers or something.

Guardian nob end looking to be controversial by playing the race card. Wright is an awful pundit and a shit host, all his programmes have been bollox and the notion that he isn't taken seriously because he's black is utter shit, just look at the puppy eyes Hansen makes to Marcel when he's on.

Didn't he just join Sky?

Accusing the BBC of racism....or out-dated practices or whatever....just gives him a slightly bigger signing bonus(, allegedly).

wrighty was the best in his day at playing football, but he is no good as football pundit he should just retire all together and let his son's get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom