Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japanese snack boxes

nightowl

Another day on that hamster wheel we call life
I've seen them plugged in a few YouTube videos and am thinking of buying one. Has anyone bought any and got any recommendations? Seem to be a lot of different companies around doing them these days.

Where do these boxes sit on a spectrum with a full bento box on one end and a meagre assortment of crackers with coated peanuts on the other?

Depends what snack boxes you mean. A quick google shows there are many different types. Is it just crisps, senbei and chocolate etc? In which case I would say no. Waste of money.
Is it higher end traditional snacks? Anything good probably won't be included as it won't last, is fragile or expensive. I would say no. Waste of money.

How much money do you have to waste?

90% of Japanese snack boxes just contain absolute basic level snacks you can get from any good oriental shop or the japan centre for cheaper

If you want to spunk 50 quid on something rarer go for Sakuraco which at least does unique stuff direct from Japan but in the long run it’s not overly worth it unless your flush

The only thing I specifically bring back from Japan are SoyJoy bars. Most of their snacks aren't all that.
As above, dorayaki, various senbei, dried squid, dango, motchi etc are easy to get hold of these days. . . as are the sweet gross stuff like choco pie and pocky.

The korean versions are also generally the same but half the price, often the same actual brand, just sold in korea.

You might not be able to get fish flavored processed cheese sausage or tiramisu flavored crisps, but why they fuck would anybody want that.

Oh I thought you were talking about the actual Bento box. Get one of those and put your own stuff in it. I used to do this when working in an office. I should get it out actually.

Also I just need to add that Kit Kat in any form is a god awful chocolate and I don’t care how many novelty flavours Japan does it’s always shit

It's a good 'have with a cuppa' chocolate because it's more waffery. Never the same since they got rid of the silver foil inside wrapping though. That used to be part of the fun as a kid.

Those green tea ones are revolting. I have nothing against the green tea flavor, in fact I like it, but for some reason it has been over sweetened. It's sickly. Weird because most green tea 'sweets' in Japan are quite bitter.

It's a good 'have with a cuppa' chocolate because it's more waffery. Never the same since they got rid of the silver foil inside wrapping though. That used to be part of the fun as a kid.
Apparently that was because Shaun Ryder said he’d buy them for the foil to chase the dragon off. 😂

Back
Top Bottom