Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jamaican 50th Independence Musical Countdown!

Front.jpg

Saw the arrival of the phenomenon that is a 12 year old Dennis Emmanuel Brown. His debut single was a cover of The Impressions' hit No Man is an Island, a song he had originally worked on with producer Derrick Harriott.

At this time he also recorded eleven other tracks wtih Coxsone at Studio One which came out on the No Man is an Island LP. Predominantly covers, but Created by the Father was DEBs own composition, and my favourite from this set.

Just catching up, here's a quick bit of '69 while I think of something from '70.

Nice choice Ska, Dennis is my favourite singer :cool:

1969:

Ease Me Up Officer - Soul Of Ofrous (Winston Jarrett) ~ One to get the skins bouncing off the walls :D

And then the greatest tune ever to come out of Jamaica:

Drifter - Dennis Walks

I have a bit of a Drifter rhythm obsession, in case I've not mentioned it before :D

http://www.crytough.com/drifter.html

I didn't have a tune from '68, so here's my favourite -

The Cooler - The Wrigglers (Giant 7")

i'm gonna stay roots for the time being.

i believe 'walla walla' was released in 1970 even though the album 'rocking time' didn't see the light of the day until 1973.

Ive been making the first tune out of each of ska's little write ups for each year into a playlist, so I can listen to it at work without keep having to look for the next one, Ill post the link for the playlist overall when its done.

There's so many brilliant songs poppping up here, that im going to try and find a script or something that will scan the thread and make a playlist of everything.

As for contributions, I bow to all of your superior knowledge and Ill let you all keep informing me :)

Back
Top Bottom