Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

ITV canoe man drama

rubbershoes

not the only raver in the village
This is good. Monica Dolan and Eddie Marsan are excellent. It's got a light feel but touches on elements of his controlling nature.

I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to make this

I'll have to put this on later, been looking forward to it. I tend to like Marsan in things anyway.

I watched the first episode with my mother who lived briefly in Seaton when she was younger and she kept going on about how they weren’t in the EXACT house and parts of it had been filmed in Hartlepool and elsewhere.
Yeah. Like what usually happens in a dramatisation. :rolleyes:

I watched the whole lot yesterday - very good, everyone in it was superb.
Recommended.

Only issue is that it didn't have subtitles on ITV Hub (or I couldn't work out how to turn them on), which was somewhat annoying.

I watched the first episode with my mother who lived briefly in Seaton when she was younger and she kept going on about how they weren’t in the EXACT house and parts of it had been filmed in Hartlepool and elsewhere.
Yeah. Like what usually happens in a dramatisation. :rolleyes:
Turns out she wasn't alone with the entire region having a meltdown over it.

I’ve heard the real Anne interviewed (mrs La rouge looked it up) and she sounds a tiny bit less broad than the TV show, but it sounds pretty good to me.
I always confuse Tyneside and Scotland, thanks to a certain comic strip. This was further compounded by my having an uncle who lived in Leicester who was always banging on about his Geordieness.

Admittedly I’m a foreigner, but even so I have never been that bothered myself whenever a non-Hispanic actor has played a Hispanic character and delivered a completely non-credible Spanish accent. Perhaps because it happens so often you blank it out.

In any case, as an outside observer it has always seemed to me English speaking folk pay far too much attention to the accuracy of accents of other English speaking nations. If a film is decent (not to mention actually very good), don’t let someone’s bad accent ruin it for you ffs.

I've just finished this and it's hard to say whether I enjoyed it or not. I actually found it quite upsetting. I couldn't stop thinking about the sons and the rest of the family and what they went through believing him to be dead. That awful grieving when it was all a lie. How she kept that up with her children for more than 5 years.

What appears to be an "amusing" story on the surface is actually very, very far from it.

I've just finished this and it's hard to say whether I enjoyed it or not. I actually found it quite upsetting. I couldn't stop thinking about the sons and the rest of the family and what they went through believing him to be dead. That awful grieving when it was all a lie. How she kept that up with her children for more than 5 years.

What appears to be an "amusing" story on the surface is actually very, very far from it.

Yeah, "enjoyed" is definitely the wrong word - it was quite horrible. Still very good mind, everything about it was done very well. And yeah, certainly not amusing (although not sure anyone would view it as such?) Felt dreadful for his sons and his elderly dad.

I sometimes felt uncomfortable with the balance of comedy to drama. As told, it’s a pretty horrible case of coercive control.

One of the reviews (perhaps the Guardian) lauded it as being a crime farce - which made me wonder if I’d watched a different edit - and didn’t mention the awful abuse at all. Reviewer was a man, of course.

It did make me wonder a lot about the degree of her culpability, even believing there to have been coercive control (which afaiu often comes hand in hand with the abuser having narcissistic personality disorder- which would fit here, it seems).

She wasn’t acting freely, but she was also still making choices that prioritised her happiness and protection of her way of life over not traumatising her own sons. I don’t think the abuse absolves her of responsibility entirely - and I’m curious if the new legal definition of coercive control can be used as partial mitigation rather than as grounds for a “not guilty” defence.

Monica Dolan nailed on for next year’s Bafta, though. Takes a lot to act Marsen off the screen.

Back
Top Bottom