Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Itinerary 3-4 weeks New Zealand

felixthecat

are we there yet?
OK this is entirely speculative because I cant afford it this year and possibly not next year but my next big trip I want to be New Zealand. I absolutely adore the planning part of travelling (shoulda been a travel agent:rolleyes:) and I'd like to do it like my California trip last year - lots of driving, lots of miles, some air bnbs, some hotels, lots of activities.

So, I'm starting to think about what I'd like to do and where I'd like to go. I've got a rough itinerary in my head but I'd like to know what people think are the essential must visit locations and must do activites.

By the time I get around to it NZ might have disappeared in some cataclysmic earthquake but still:D.

OK this is entirely speculative because I cant afford it this year and possibly not next year but my next big trip I want to be New Zealand. I absolutely adore the planning part of travelling (shoulda been a travel agent:rolleyes:) and I'd like to do it like my California trip last year - lots of driving, lots of miles, some air bnbs, some hotels, lots of activities.

So, I'm starting to think about what I'd like to do and where I'd like to go. I've got a rough itinerary in my head but I'd like to know what people think are the essential must visit locations and must do activites.

By the time I get around to it NZ might have disappeared in some cataclysmic earthquake but still:D.

Hi Felix
We were there last year for 4 weeks I will get back to you with some ideas. Be aware that travelling even by bus can be very pricy and getting from one Island to the next is too. We flew from Gisborne to Christchurch which involves 2 flights and I think it was about £1,000 for 3 of us. Are you thinking of hiring a car?

I hired a rentawreck type car while I was there. It enabled me to drive from Christchurch to Auckland via Queenstown. 3/4 weeks was tight on sightseeing everything I wanted to see. Personally I'd miss Rotorua if doing it again, looks pretty in the photos but it was nothing special when I went. Also I preferred the south Island to the north but it's a beautiful country.

We've done it a couple of times, the bloody place is just way too nice to hope to cover in that time, but you can make a decent dint in it.

Trip 1 was:

Couple of nights in Auckland, recovery and having a scan at the palace. It's not that exciting, two days is well enough. We then flew to Wellington, which is much much nicer, and worthy of a few days. From there flew in a tiny plane down to Kaikoura, whale watching and crayfish eating, totes yummy, and the train to Christchurch. One night is enough there. Then you can do the train crossing the Southern Alps, one of the best train journeys in the world, according to the books, and quite something. A night in the appropriately Greymouth and picked up a car to Punakaiki for pancake rocks and blowholes. Drive up to Nelson, there are a couple of nice stops on the way, and then check out the Marlborough Sounds, where you may get to see a rough faced shag. It's lovely. Take an old cross channel ferry across the straits, and drive back up North Island. We did the Tongariro Crossing, which is an amazing walk, and should really have stayed longer to do Mount Doom as well. We skipped Rotaroa, but did go to the Craters of the Moon nearby, which were definitely ace. A night in Te Aroha (the only place that was a bit meh) and up to the southern northlands, which are not, but only essential if that happens to be where your mates are living.

Second time around, we did Auk & Welly again, then down to Queenstown for a couple of nights. The town itself is okay, gets mad at certain times of year, but is nicely located. From there we went to Milford Sound, had a few days there, walking, canoeing, just chilling. The road down to it is just fantastic, and really was quite magical, one of my very best ever holiday experiences. The drive around the southern tip is good too, the antarctic ocean is very big and cold looking, and you drive ridiculously close to it on occasion. Dunedin was much nicer than we expected, and there is some really nice wildlife stuff around there (albatross and penguins!). A good drive up to the Moeraki boulders (which aren't unique to Moeraki, but are well preserved there). I cant actually remember how we got back up north after that, must have caught a flight, and gone up to the Bay of Islands, for some fun snorkelling and dancing (it was new year) and sunny sandiness. Finished off going a bit further north, to the bottom of 100 Mile Beach, where you get to see the massive kauri,and some very funky toilets.

Next time we're hoping to do the far north, mount cook and the southern alps, Hastings (nice and twenties'y) and either the Coromandel or Bay of Plenty.

Best bits were definitely Milford Sound, rail journey from Christchurch-Greymouth and the Tongariro Crossing, you have to do some geothermal stuff, have time on one of the northern bays and head up to see the trees. Which should all keep you busy.

Last edited:
belboid has got a lot of what I'd recommend covered so what I would add is:

If you only have 3-4 weeks, pick an island - north or south - and stick to it. For my money, the south island is the best. It has the best scenery by far - the south of the south island being where it's truly spectacular. I started on the South Island and I have to say that the North Island was a disappointment in comparison. However the massive caveat is that I have not seen anything like as much of the North Island.

100% definitely hire a car. Don't even consider doing it without a car. There is no public transport to speak of and the busses that exist are loused out with young backpackers, the timetables may not suit you and the ability to stop wherever you want is one of the delights of the country. Just driving around the South Island is a pleasure in itself. There are very few roads - it's difficult to get lost - and they are like minor A roads with hardly anyone on them. They are very twisty turny and up and down hill so it takes forever to get anywhere but there are stopping places everywhere where you can pull in to admire a view and there is a new and beautiful view around every bend. It's completely different on the North Island where the majority of the population live. They have "proper" roads up there and driving is just boring in comparison.

I never went to Auckland and I don't think I missed much to be honest. All the time I was there I kept thinking about visiting but could never find anything that really drew me. Wellington on the other hand is a really lovely city and definitely worth a couple of days. I went to Wellington many times. It's attractive, it has history and it has a vibrant arts scene. Well, vibrant for New Zealand anyway :D

I guess you have to fly into Auckland but I would say that once you've caught your breath, get a flight to Dunedin and start there. It's a great little city and a good place to start a South Island odyssey. The Otago Peninsula is gorgeous. The clouds have habit of settling on the high ground and then pouring down looking almost liquid. It's beautiful. There is an albatross sanctuary and a funny little castle nearby.

I think Queenstown and Wanaka are must sees as they are just such beautiful settings. Driving around that area over the mountain passes is some of the best scenery there is anywhere in the world.

The West Coast is fucking magic to drive along. I wouldn't bother stopping at the glaciers as they are not that impressive if you don't have much time. Hokitika on the West Coast is one my favourite places. It's a really cute little town that was important in the New Zealand Gold Rush and it has a beautifully atmospheric beach filled with driftwood sculptures.

One of my absolute favourite places is Hanmer Springs. I'd only suggest going there if it fits with your itinerary as it's in the middle of the South Island but it is just ace. I love it there.

I did the Millford Sound trek which I think took 5 days so something like that would be a big chunk out of your 3-4 weeks but if you do want to do one of the Great Walks, you need to book well in advance.

Don't bother making special trip to Christchurch. Sadly the city is still fucked from the 2011 earthquake. The centre is deserted from 6pm and the countryside around is nothing to write home about.

The area around Golden Bay on the South Island is lovely but it will take a while to get there. Everywhere on the South Island takes a lot longer to get to than you think! My absolute favourite walk of anywhere I've ever walked in the world was on Farewell Spit which is the tiny spit of land that sticks out of the top of the South Island. It was just stunning, completely other worldly and best of all.....there was NOBODY ELSE THERE!! :D

So I would recommend flying down to Dunedin, picking up a car, doing a tour around the South Island then dropping your car in Picton before getting the ferry over to Wellington - the ferry ride is stunning - couple of days in Wellington and then fly to Auckland to fly home.

A word on accommodation: hostels in New Zealand are brilliant. Cheap and often quirky and beautiful places. If you don't fancy the dorm thing, a lot of them have private rooms. I never thought I could do the dorm thing until I went there. All age groups stay in them although of course there are some that just have mainly youngsters. You can always find somewhere to stay a day or so in advance so I would also recommend booking your internal flights and car hire and then just following your nose. Much more fun than having the whole thing planned out before you go.

At the end of the day, it is a fabulous, fabulous country and you simply MUST go!!

Last edited:
I don't know what you are into but if you are interested in arts, the absolute best thing I saw in New Zealand was the World of Wearable Art show that happens annually in Wellington in late Sept/Early Oct. That's really kind of winter but it is a fantastic event. Even if you don't go to the event itself, if you do a South Island tour, the World of Wearable Arts base and museum is in Nelson.
https://www.worldofwearableart.com/

Also there is a fringe theatre festival in Wellington in March which is good too. Autumn in NZ which is a good time to visit.

However....if you're going south, summer is best as it does get bloody cold down there! Having said that, a New Zealand winter is not like a UK winter. There is still a lot of sunshine and it's not dark for most of the day like it is here.

Sorry...I'm going on...!

If you do decide on the North Island, don't dismiss Rotorua as a few people have said upthread. The town itself is a bit crappy but it's like most NZ towns. The thing about the area is the geothermal stuff. There is a big geothermal park in the town which is amazing but seriously touristy. There is another one in the north of the town which I enjoyed more and there are 2 much better parks to the south. I can give you more details if you want.

Waitomo is great for the gloworm caves.

I wouldn't bother with the Coromandel. Everyone goes on about how beautiful it is but after Queenstown, most places are a bit meh :D

I have never been to the Bay of Islands way up in the north. People say it's wonderful.

If you like second hand shops, Thames is brilliant.

And one more South Island thing, if you're into arts, don't miss Oamaru. Self-styled Steampunk Capital of the World. In New Zealand terms of course :D

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I would definitely drive - I like driving and being behind the wheel for 3 or 4 hours is chicken feed for me. Beautiful drives are very much on my radar. M

I'm not too fussed about the geothermal stuff - I lived in St Lucia and we have a drive in volcano there so been there, seen that.

Queenstown, Wanaka, Tongariro national Park, Milford Sound, and Waitomo were all on my list. Ooh and Franz Josef glacier. I'm sorry but I've got to visit Hobbiton too:oops: Minor league LOTR geek here:oops:

Ive got plenty of time to plan and change my mind multiple times:cool::thumbs:

Bloody Waitomo....I abseiled down a 10 metre hole in Waitomo and then spent hours freezing my arse off in wet caves looking at glowy bloody worms. I'd like to say it was fun but it wasn't. Mind you, I love bungy jumping so am clearly not to be trusted :D

Been living here 10 years AMA :)

Tbh, you'd have to try really hard to have a shit holiday here. I think you can do the greatest hits on both islands in 4 weeks if you're comfortable with the odd big day driving. I'm just back from a week in the Coromandel and it was glorious :)

Cheers:)
I actively enjoy driving and long drives in strange but beautiful places when I'm not time pressured is a pleasure. I think my longest drive in the US was through the Sierra Nevadas and supposed to be about 5 hours - ended up taking nearly 8 because I kept stopping to go wow and take pictures.

So a day driving is fine by me:D

Cheers:)
I actively enjoy driving and long drives in strange but beautiful places when I'm not time pressured is a pleasure. I think my longest drive in the US was through the Sierra Nevadas and supposed to be about 5 hours - ended up taking nearly 8 because I kept stopping to go wow and take pictures.

So a day driving is fine by me:D

Perfect. If I was doing two weeks in the north island I'd go:
- Auckland (west coast beaches in particular) - bay of islands--cape reinga - Rawene- tāne mahouta (giant kauri forest) - Matamata (Hobbiton)- Tongariro (crossing is worth the time) and the volcanoes- Wellington. East coast is REMOTE, Napier is nice but a long detour. New Plymouth the same just in the opposite direction. Pūkaha/Mt Bruce, Wai-O-Tapu in Rotorua, are all worth the time if you have it. Kapiti Island in Wellington and Tiritiri Matangi in Auckland are predator-free islands which are absolutely magnificent and worth a day. You'll see birds there you'll never see anywhere else if that's your thing. Zealandia in Wellington is also great (I am a bird nerd)

South island
State highway 6 down the west coast is absolutely fucking incredible. Take a few days, if you're into hiking then there's some stunners that are off the tourist map. Ask in any DoC office for ideas. Queenstown and Wanaka are very pretty but like Butlins with mountains. Aoraki/Mt Cook and Mt Aspiring National Parks are places i dream about, the mountains are breathtaking. The Lindis and Arthur's mountain passes are wonderful to drive and explore.

You can pick up a car that'll get you places for a few grand and probably be able to sell for what you paid providing it's not broken down. Roadside assist is cheap AF, as is insurance (it's not compulsory so the price is competitive). Hostels are cheap and not bad at all. February gets the best weather and the schools are back so it's quieter.

Thank you everyone! I would definitely drive - I like driving and being behind the wheel for 3 or 4 hours is chicken feed for me. Beautiful drives are very much on my radar. M

I'm not too fussed about the geothermal stuff - I lived in St Lucia and we have a drive in volcano there so been there, seen that.

Queenstown, Wanaka, Tongariro national Park, Milford Sound, and Waitomo were all on my list. Ooh and Franz Josef glacier. I'm sorry but I've got to visit Hobbiton too:oops: Minor league LOTR geek here:oops:

Ive got plenty of time to plan and change my mind multiple times:cool::thumbs:
Well, you've got most of an itinerary sorted there.

1 Arrive Auckland
2 Recover & See Auckland
3 - get car and drive down to Matamata (Hobbiton) & Waitomo
4 - 5 Tongariro
6 - 8 Wellington, inc Rivendell (Kaitoke park) & Putangirua Pinnacles (Dimholt Road)
9 Driving down west coast, stop at Punakaiki or Hokitika (there are funky glowworm caves at Punakaiki as well, if Waitomo looks too touristy)
10 - 11 Franz Josef Glacier
12 - 13 Queenstown
14 - 16 - Milford Sound
17 Wanaka
18 Twizel (Gondor)
19 Mount Sunday (Edoras)
20 Christchurch and fly back to Auckland.

The LotR bits aren't really sad, as they make you drive to interesting bits of the country that are just bloody lovely. You'll miss other lovely stuff out, but that's unavoidable whatever you do.

This also gives you plenty of time for the odd interesting side trip, eg Coromandel, Far North, or carrying on up the east coast of South Island, past Kaikoura and other nice places, and getting a flight from Welly.

Last edited:
Bugger. I think we might be screwed for our trip up the wet coast of South Island. We've got places booked Wanaka, Fox Glacier and Hokitika, but it appears that the road from Foxy G to big H is washed away and wont be fixed until January. Not sure where we could go instead. Maybe Hanmer Sprigs wouldn't be way off the track after wall.

Bugger. I think we might be screwed for our trip up the wet coast of South Island. We've got places booked Wanaka, Fox Glacier and Hokitika, but it appears that the road from Foxy G to big H is washed away and wont be fixed until January. Not sure where we could go instead. Maybe Hanmer Sprigs wouldn't be way off the track after wall.
Very appropriate typo it certainly is the wet coast (no less the lovely for it).SH6 should be open by Christmas.
Personal advice which may differ from others. Queenstown is a shit hole avoid at all costs, Arrowtown or anywhere down in the Remarkables better.If you want to visit and kayak a sound Doubtful better than Milford (although sandflies will kill you at both).Hamner springs is great although aside from the hot springs the town itself is tourism central, if you've got a 4*4 or a sense of adventure and a clapped out two wheel drive you can leave Hamner and drive up to Marlborough on the Rainbow road through Molesworth station a part of NZ even most Kiwis never see (check road before travelling there has been slips there as well).Arthurs pass and the Lewis pass are well worth visiting especially if you want to see the rugged NZ.
Hokitika I like but somewhere like Reefton for instance is better.Greymouth is great as is Blackball (origins of the trade union movement in NZ started there) you can stay at the Not the Blackball Hilton (Hilton hotels sued so they changed it to not the) hippies galore.
I wouldn't worry about the roads that major slip will be overcome even if it means a bulldozer has to pull you around it. Happy trails:
Tourism business angered by comments about lengthy road closure

We have eaten at the Blackball Hilton. Went there on our first trip, doing Greymouth and Punakaiki then too. Covered queenstown and the south coast scenic last time.

at the moment we’re booked into wanaka on the 27th n 28th, fox glacier on the 29th, hokitika 30th then up to Nelson for new year. Swapping fox for twizel looked okay, but it appears booked up in the night in question.

We have eaten at the Blackball Hilton. Went there on our first trip, doing Greymouth and Punakaiki then too. Covered queenstown and the south coast scenic last time.

at the moment we’re booked into wanaka on the 27th n 28th, fox glacier on the 29th, hokitika 30th then up to Nelson for new year. Swapping fox for twizel looked okay, but it appears booked up in the night in question.
Punakaiki is a shithole now as well ( I visited it the late fifties as a kid when there were no facilities whatsoever and all the better for it {the occasional person fell into a blowhole but it was exciting}) Twizel it's Lord of the Rings reputation notwithstanding is not a place you'd voluntarily visit (it was a builders dormitory for the Hydro schemes thereabouts). Nelson is probably OK at New Year although I'd plump for Takaka (more hippies) or Wellington best city in NZ by a long shot.Feel free to ask any questions I may know the answer to.

I've been living and motorhoming here (south Island) for past 10 years and just about to embark on a 6 month north island road trip. Most things have already been covered here but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or tag on this thread... Always happy to meet up with or host travellers. Due to be back in Blenheim around 2021ish. :)

Punakaiki is a shithole now as well ( I visited it the late fifties as a kid when there were no facilities whatsoever and all the better for it {the occasional person fell into a blowhole but it was exciting}) Twizel it's Lord of the Rings reputation notwithstanding is not a place you'd voluntarily visit (it was a builders dormitory for the Hydro schemes thereabouts). Nelson is probably OK at New Year although I'd plump for Takaka (more hippies) or Wellington best city in NZ by a long shot.Feel free to ask any questions I may know the answer to.
Its not hard to be the best city in NZ, really. Auckland and Christchurch are never gonna make it, and I like Dunedin, but Welly is easily the best. Will have a couple of days there too. Again.

After spending christmas on Stewart Island we do want to be somewhere where there are actual shop,s pubs and restaurants for a couple of days too. Hence Wanaka. Somewhere around Arthur's Pass does sound tempting too now, could have a good half days walk and then travel on to Hokitika (mrsb really wants to go cos she loved The Luminaries).

Its not hard to be the best city in NZ, really. Auckland and Christchurch are never gonna make it, and I like Dunedin, but Welly is easily the best. Will have a couple of days there too. Again.

After spending christmas on Stewart Island we do want to be somewhere where there are actual shop,s pubs and restaurants for a couple of days too. Hence Wanaka. Somewhere around Arthur's Pass does sound tempting too now, could have a good half days walk and then travel on to Hokitika (mrsb really wants to go cos she loved The Luminaries).
As your down that way Invercargill is worth a visit, Gore if you want to visit the worst place in NZ.

Back
Top Bottom