Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

4-5 days away, short flight recommendation for child-free getaway?

Oh and during the summer holidays and the long bank holiday in May/June everything is already chocka and pricey as hell.

One of my favourite cities. It's worth going to for the food alone.
There's better places outside the city, Ecija for example, but you need to know the area. If you're only there for a few days Sevilla is a good base.

This came up on Fascinating Spain. I thought it might be interesting here.

Cheers for this. I've only ever flown in and out of Malaga really. My cricket club tour is there this summer (playing on The Cartama Oval for 4 days). A few of us are extending the trip and were thinking of Cadiz and Gibraltar, but it looks like Malaga itself could be worth some extra time.

Cheers for this. I've only ever flown in and out of Malaga really. My cricket club tour is there this summer (playing on The Cartama Oval for 4 days). A few of us are extending the trip and were thinking of Cadiz and Gibraltar, but it looks like Malaga itself could be worth some extra time.
Malaga is a great place too often ignored by Brit tourists.

If I were you I'd not bother with Gibraltar, I'd go to Cadiz and Puerto Santa Maria to chill out on some fabulous beaches, and some amazing places. You should go to Jerez and visit a bodega, I'd recommend Williams and Humbert. This link's about Arcos de la Frontera, which is quite spectacular, but also has link's to other places in the area. I lived in Jerez and worked in Vilamartin and drove past Arcos everyday. Sometimes I'd go early, just to visit the village on my way to work.

ETA the link Arcos de la Frontera, a huge natural beauty in Cádiz | Fascinating Spain

Malaga is a great place too often ignored by Brit tourists.

If I were you I'd not bother with Gibraltar, I'd go to Cadiz and Puerto Santa Maria to chill out on some fabulous beaches, and some amazing places. You should go to Jerez and visit a bodega, I'd recommend Williams and Humbert. This link's about Arcos de la Frontera, which is quite spectacular, but also has link's to other places in the area. I lived in Jerez and worked in Vilamartin and drove past Arcos everyday. Sometimes I'd go early, just to visit the village on my way to work.

ETA the link Arcos de la Frontera, a huge natural beauty in Cádiz | Fascinating Spain

Cheers. We'll do Jerez from Cadiz. Gibraltar is just the last couple of days because we like The Rock Hotel, and it's an easy flight back to London.

I’ve heard very good things about Bologna for food, and I’m sure there are lots of other cultural bits and bobs to do there as it’s Italy after all!

Is there a lot of faffing about with customs though?
I don't know, but you could, perhaps, get round it by going to one of the Spanish enclaves. Don't, whatever you do, take a car. They often disappear there.

Just to back up what everyone has said about Lisbon, apart from being generally a really great city to visit, is that the transport from the airport is fantastic. It's basically a short tube ride from the centre of town so you can be having a drink in the centre a couple of hours before your flight. Compare that to somewhere like Rome where it's a massive pain in the arse and you're going to be losing a big chunk of time to that part of the trip. I think it makes a massive difference to a short break.

Just to back up what everyone has said about Lisbon, apart from being generally a really great city to visit, is that the transport from the airport is fantastic. It's basically a short tube ride from the centre of town so you can be having a drink in the centre a couple of hours before your flight. Compare that to somewhere like Rome where it's a massive pain in the arse and you're going to be losing a big chunk of time to that part of the trip. I think it makes a massive difference to a short break.
Porto is very good this way too. In my opinion it's better than Lisbon, but I lived in Porto for 7 years so I'm biased.

Eh?

Rome termini station to Fiumicino is 31 minutes.

Bit different. If you can stomach the current president id Budapest. Great for a long weekend. Spend at least half a day if not more, in the fantastic baths. Lots of interesting museums. Some great bars. - The only place I have ever been served a cocktail on a wooden treasure chest full of dry ice... - and very pretty just to walk around. I actually slightly preferred it to Prague.

Seville. Beautiful, fab food, under 3 hour flight, ticks all the culture boxes.
In July??

Fuckin hell. Some like it hot eh. I went for the first time in July but im hardcore. It could well be 40 degrees! Cadiz would be cooler but probs very busy then. Amazing city though. Youd still see Seville a bit too.

Budapest is a great shout actually. Also awesome in summer.

In July??

Fuckin hell. Some like it hot eh. I went for the first time in July but im hardcore. It could well be 40 degrees! Cadiz would be cooler but probs very busy then. Amazing city though. Youd still see Seville a bit too.

Budapest is a great shout actually. Also awesome in summer.
We went to Seville in summer 2006 when there was a heatwave. It was 46 degrees.

We went to try and cool down in the cathedral thinking it would be dark and cold - and it was muggy.

Never been in a muggy cathedral before or since.

Absolutely lovely city, though.

We went to Seville in summer 2006 when there was a heatwave. It was 46 degrees.

We went to try and cool down in the cathedral thinking it would be dark and cold - and it was muggy.

Never been in a muggy cathedral before or since.

Absolutely lovely city, though.
Seville is hot. It’s a great place as a tourist. I’d never want to live there, I just think it’s just not me. Driving and parking are an absolute nightmare, but the metro is good. Now Córdoba is totally different, still hot but a smaller, more friendly ambiance. I much prefer it.

Back
Top Bottom