Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

ISIS,barbaric they may be!

coley

But stupid they aren't, it now looks they may have managed to plant a bomb on the Russian plane, even if they haven't, its goodbye to the Egyptian tourist industry, as has happened to the Tunisian tourist industry.
It's a total win win for them, undermine any democratic moves in the areas affected, due to job losses and keep westernisation out.
Total bastards, but not stupid bastards.

yeah but everyone know terrorist outfits will claim shit just for the propoganda war, its hardly the newest of tactics

It depends who ISIS actually is in the place there are. It does seem that there could have been a bomb on the plane. This could have been planted by a baggage handler placing a suitcase containing the bomb among the luggage being loaded into the doomed plane. I would guess this is the reason UK gov has ordered no UK flights out of SeS is because even now it would not be possible to prevent a similar suitcase being placed on any other plane. For this to happen would require airport workers to be terrorists or terrorist sympathisers. It does seem quite possible that ISIS sympathisers would working at SeS airport, I would have thought? The head of airport security has been sacked.

It depends who ISIS actually is in the place there are. It does seem that there could have been a bomb on the plane. This could have been planted by a baggage handler placing a suitcase containing the bomb among the luggage being loaded into plane. I would guess this is the reason UK gov has ordered no UK flights out of SeS is because even now it would not be possible to prevent a similar suitcase being placed on any other plane. For this to happen would require airport workers to be terrorists or terrorist sympathisers. It does seem quite possible that ISIS sympathisers would working at SeS airport, I would have thought?
This podcast form early last week might have some relevance.

There's a much broader set of belligerents than ISIS that have a quarrel with Russia, I'd have thought, and even that's not the only possible motivation. Even assuming that it was a bomb.

i'd take it much wider than that - if the local IS franchise could get a bomb onto a aircraft they aren't overly worried about what airline it goes on to, the target is the Egyptian government via the tourism industry. anyone will do.

tbh, given the erm... intensity of Russian airstrikes against IS, i doubt Russia would feature on the top ten of IS's shit list.

i'd take it much wider than that - if the local IS franchise could get a bomb onto a aircraft they aren't overly worried about what airline it goes on to, the target is the Egyptian government via the tourism industry. anyone will do.

tbh, given the erm... intensity of Russian airstrikes against IS, i doubt Russia would feature on the top ten of IS's shit list.
Were that the case, why not blow up the airport, or indeed a softer and more obvious target altogether? And why not properly capitalise on it? This might-just-be-an-ordinary-crash affair is extremely vague.

Historically, going to the trouble of blowing up a plane usually suggests a more specific quarrel.

Were that the case, why not blow up the airport, or indeed a softer and more obvious target altogether? And why not properly capitalise on it? This might-just-be-an-ordinary-crash affair is extremely vague.

Historically, going to the trouble of blowing up a plane usually suggests a more specific quarrel.

oh absolutely, however it just may be that this group has to work with what its got - if its got some bloke who works airside who can get a bomb on board, but who can't get a full team into the airport to do a Mumbai on the airport or the hotel complexes, then they have to just go with what might be sub-optimal, but still worth doing.

otoh, Russia has been getting cosy with Egypt now the US has backed off. shot across the bows?

pulease. its the joooooooosssss.

we need a wanking emojy-thing.
jerkit.gif

undermine any democratic moves in the areas affected

Not sure I buy into the idea that tourism is good for democracy. In specific situations I suppose it might be, but I think its a poor fit here since Tunisia managed not to destroy its revolution and associated democracy, even in the face of assassinations that may have caused sectarian violence if they'd happened elsewhere. And in Egypt the idea of democracy post-arab spring was destroyed by state terror, with islamist terrorists gaining momentum in the wake of that, not the other way round.

Not sure I buy into the idea that tourism is good for democracy. In specific situations I suppose it might be, but I think its a poor fit here since Tunisia managed not to destroy its revolution and associated democracy, even in the face of assassinations that may have caused sectarian violence if they'd happened elsewhere. And in Egypt the idea of democracy post-arab spring was destroyed by state terror, with islamist terrorists gaining momentum in the wake of that, not the other way round.

Even in Europe the Portuguese, Spanish and Greek dictatorships all did very well out of tourism for a good while in the 20th Century.

Even so, it seems that it would be easier to demonise foreigners/infidels when they're the distant recipients of primitive resource extraction (oil industry etc) rather than actually in the country spending their money and quite possibly interacting with at least some of the locals and so forth.

Russians may teach isis some notes on barbarism had the misfortune to get a happy snap form an russian vet of a suppoused british jihadist being pulled apart by a couple of tanks.:(

Even so, it seems that it would be easier to demonise foreigners/infidels when they're the distant recipients of primitive resource extraction (oil industry etc) rather than actually in the country spending their money and quite possibly interacting with at least some of the locals and so forth.

Not necessarily - the hijinks Western tourists get up to in Morocco and (to an extent) Malaysia / Indonesia have been blamed for actually radicalising some local youth and making them keener on jihad than thy might have been before.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe them, lots of people will. If a critical mass of people believe then rather than not believe them, it still achieves what they wanted.
Which is, a big hit to the affected economy, followed by the govt of said economy having to readjust spending leading to 'cuts' followed by unrest from those most affected by cuts (usually the poorest) who then turn to those offering alternatives and unfortunately we all know who they are.
Given the success of the Tunisian terrorist attacks and now Egypt? personally,I wouldn't Be booking any holidays in Turkey in the foreseeable.

Aye, but on the other hand, Putins stated support for Assad? bugger,who knows what these people think?

But stupid they aren't, it now looks they may have managed to plant a bomb on the Russian plane, even if they haven't, its goodbye to the Egyptian tourist industry, as has happened to the Tunisian tourist industry.
It's a total win win for them, undermine any democratic moves in the areas affected, due to job losses and keep westernisation out.
Total bastards, but not stupid bastards.
Lots of people in non-westernised areas want to keep KFC and Pizza Hut out. It's been like that for years, and isn't necessarily related to religious extremism.

Back
Top Bottom