Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Weston-super-Mare set to be the new Brighton?

Beautiful brown muddy beach

It's a lovely beach. With panoramic views of Flat Holm, Steep Holm and Barry Island what more does one want.

There was a great programme on a few years back about the steam boats that used to cross over from South Wales. Apparently it used to be an established booze cruise day out.

I live near WsM, I quite like the scummy place when I want to embrace my inner chav. About twenty years ago I worked out it had around 100 times the number of drug-rehab places compared to the UK average as they got sent from all over the country to the cheapo B&Bs that nobody wanted to book for a holiday. Shocked the first time I saw a permanent security guard stationed outside a small pharmacy on The Boulevard.

It's been like this for as long as I can remember

Once upon a time it had a T J Hughes, Woolworths, Wilko's, M&S. All gone, boarded up except for a Poundland.

The Banksy thing helped with making it ‘cool’ I reckon. For years they were going to flatten the old Tropicana site where that was done and turn it into a car park, which was the sort of backwards shite other towns had been doing back in the 70s, but now it seems secure which is a good thing.

Went there with the in-laws for a day out last year, really windy day, lots of sand silt blowing about, far too much litter on the beach. Growing up nearby we’d have never gone in the water, just seemed filthy, though we would often go for a dip off a jetty in Portishead which is further up the coast and muddier. Only northerners would go on holiday there and occasionally go for a wade, Bristol people would usually go a bit further down to Brean or somewhere like that.

The donkeys are still there.

Went there with the in-laws for a day out last year, really windy day, lots of sand silt blowing about, far too much litter on the beach. Growing up nearby we’d have never gone in the water, just seemed filthy, though we would often go for a dip off a jetty in Portishead which is further up the coast and muddier. Only northerners would go on holiday there and occasionally go for a wade, Bristol people would usually go a bit further down to Brean or somewhere like that.

It’s Worles apart from Brighton
Once tried to camp in Weston. Only there was no camping. Got directed to Worle.

We set up and then walked into Worle for some supplies.

It felt like we’d gotten into a Hot Tub Time Machine without realising and had gone back in time 20 years. A pocket of trapped time.

Back
Top Bottom