Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is this tree fucked?

Hollis

bloody furious
Several months ago the neighbour's son "the gardener" - left this tree in my garden with the intention of bunging it in the pot. Several months later the tree is now mainly brown and still outside the pot.

I am not sure if the situation is retrievable or even if the tree is a tree that should be grown in a pot.

The tree in question is a 'Golden Leyland Cypress'..

Any advice welcome..

IMG_20220421_141534395_HDR.jpgIMG_20220421_141528352_HDR.jpgIMG_20220421_141524190_HDR.jpg:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_141519929_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220421_141519929_HDR.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 3
Should be able to grow any tree in a pot it will just restrict it's growth.

Not sure about a leylandii but the cyprus I had when some of it went brown wouldn't grow back. :(

Only way to find out is water it well and see how it goes.

I actually want something to grow about 3-4 meters maximum. Has to be in a pot, as there's concrete next to the fence. And yes, I do want something low maintenance..

An amelanchier might fit the bill, the pot would constrain its size but not strangle it. Or there are nice shrubs like Euonymus europaeus 'Red Cascade' if you don't mind something shrubbier.

I actually want something to grow about 3-4 meters maximum. Has to be in a pot, as there's concrete next to the fence. And yes, I do want something low maintenance..

A previous neighbour had a conifer of some sort in a ridiculously small cheesy plastic "classical" pot.
I don't remember it ever being green, but I derived quite a lot of entertainment from watching the dark-leaved oxalis in the pot spread all down their garden wall to the gate and then 100 yards up to the main road over a period of years :D

Yeah
as others have said re-pot it! Remember to lightly untangle roots also (lightly sprinkle re-root powder on roots an bottom also)
maybe mix stone/gravel in with earth and some (not too many stones at bottom) put larger container/pot that you have put pot with plant in, making sure the smaller pot has holes with wter in for slow release hydration!
Keep in sunlight and talk to regularly :)

No. It is basically fucked. Years ago, I might have faffed around, repotting and fussing but I am now hardened by the killing of many innocent plants which have failed to live up to my (very minimal) standards of beauty and utility. it will never be a thing of beauty. in the (unlikely )event of it's survival, it will always be an embarrassment, reproaching you on a daily basis. Chopper!

Ah, I see you have moved on to consider other options, Hollis. V.sensible. Allow me to suggest the very classy sorbus hupehensis 'Pink Pagoda' Beautiful in every season.If you are set on a cherry, have a look at the elegantly spreading prunus subhirtella autumnalis (can be in bloom for months, with nothing of the suburban excess of many flowering cherries).

It's pretty fucked. I'd be giving it a good drink before repotting, leave it in water for a day or so. Like other have said, wrong tree and it's already half dead.

Ah, I see you have moved on to consider other options, Hollis. V.sensible. Allow me to suggest the very classy sorbus hupehensis 'Pink Pagoda' B
Wow !
I hope I remember this for when I'm setting up my pink garden in France... (I'm properly hooked on pink now :) )

My sickly self-sown peach is coming out BTW - and I would have done that even if it had set fruit ...

Yep, I have something of a pink garden too, gentlegreen. Shamelessly pretty. I have been paying attention to foliage too - glaucous, shapely pinnate leaves have been doing it for me of late. Baptisias, lespedeza and the gorgeous species rosa glauca. If I was in the market for another small tree, the pseudocacacia robinia hispida Cascade Rouge' would be up there. A lovely, but large ceanothus has filled the last gap in my garden but I can squeeze a wall climber in the last few feet of available space. I had a really floriferous anisodontea 'El Royo' for a few years but my latest addition is the dainty and mannerly wisteria substitute, indigofera ambleyantha Think you would definitely like that one.

Yep, I have something of a pink garden too, gentlegreen. Shamelessly pretty. I have been paying attention to foliage too - glaucous, shapely pinnate leaves have been doing it for me of late. Baptisias, lespedeza and the gorgeous species rosa glauca. If I was in the market for another small tree, the pseudocacacia robinia hispida Cascade Rouge' would be up there. A lovely, but large ceanothus has filled the last gap in my garden but I can squeeze a wall climber in the last few feet of available space. I had a really floriferous anisodontea 'El Royo' for a few years but my latest addition is the dainty and mannerly wisteria substitute, indigofera ambleyantha Think you would definitely like that one.
I wish I could track down the giant pink wallflower I bought as plants from a now closed garden centre years ago - very pink and very fragrant.
When I grew Chiltern's version it was more red than pink and only modestly fragrant ...

Back
Top Bottom