Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is the future real?

max_freakout

Nothing matters
there are many different theories with different ways of answering this question

'presentism' is the view that neither the future nor the past exist; that the matter of the universe only exists in the present moment, memories and anticipations are just illusory projections, from the present moment

'four dimensionalism' refers to the view that the
past, present and future are all 'equally real', and that (tenselessly) there exist dinosaurs, people and (if there will be such things) cities on Mars. These things don't exist now but they do exist, with the analogy often being that, if I am in London, New York doesn't exist here even though it does exist.

so is the future real or unreal?

The idea that the "future" and the "past" exist as something other than a concept I believe is fundamentally wrong. Indeed it is one of the firmest reason why I believe time travel is impossible, even within advanced physics theories.
What there is the universe, which has a particular physically arrangement (state). This state changes, but that doesn't mean that there all the previous states somehow exist somewhere metaphysical.

We need to let go of the poetic fallacy of a "river of time" in which it is possible to travel up or down stream.

The idea that the "future" and the "past" exist as something other than a concept I believe is fundamentally wrong. Indeed it is one of the firmest reason why I believe time travel is impossible, even within advanced physics theories.
What there is the universe, which has a particular physically arrangement (state). This state changes, but that doesn't mean that there all the previous states somehow exist somewhere metaphysical.

We need to let go of the poetic fallacy of a "river of time" in which it is possible to travel up or down stream.

do your memories then not refer to real events?

there are many different theories with different ways of answering this question

'presentism' is the view that neither the future nor the past exist; that the matter of the universe only exists in the present moment, memories and anticipations are just illusory projections, from the present moment

past, present and future are all 'equally real', and that (tenselessly) there exist dinosaurs, people and (if there will be such things) cities on Mars. These things don't exist now but they do exist, with the analogy often being that, if I am in London, New York doesn't exist here even though it does exist.

It's a work-in-progress, one that's emerging from the dreamtime into actuality. 'The matter of the universe', talked about, is the total information of the universe. That's different at different times, but the sequence of information-spaces coheres in a systematic way.

Apparently :p

Well, yes, memories do refer to somewhat real events because the information is not entirely changed. The past is really in the present, to an extent.

what the HELL are you talking about :confused: :D

Or maybe ONLY the future is real? We must become what we are?

futurism?

that is an incredible idea, it fits i think with the buddhist idea that all phenomena are transient and impermanent and possess no inherrent existence, because everything is in a state of becoming real

nothing is real yet

Your problem is you get too hung up on semantics and words, like 'real'. Or 'future'.

Words are just crude tools used to describe things, and to allow us to try to have some understanding of what is going on.

How does it matter if the future is 'real'?

The future one second from now, is it real or not: oops - here it is!

The past doesn't exist because it has already happened.
The future doesn't exist because it hasn't happened yet.
And the present doesn't exist because as soon as you think about it it becomes the past. Which doesn't exist.

Victor Meldrew :cool:

Sign i once saw in a pub in england:

Free beer tomorrow.

I conclude therefore that the future is non-existent, except in our human heads.

Sign i once saw in a pub in england:

Free beer tomorrow.

I conclude therefore that the future is non-existent, except in our human heads.

Unless all of time exists simultaneously, and it's simply our human imperfection that won't allow us to experience it as such, just as some deep ocean creature has no ability to perceive light.

Light exists, of course, just not to the blind deep sea fish.

Unless all of time exists simultaneously, and it's simply our human imperfection that won't allow us to experience it as such, just as some deep ocean creature has no ability to perceive light.

Light exists, of course, just not to the blind deep sea fish.

2437982654_911dbce5b7_o.png

teh light it is ova ther, but i can nots see it :(:(:(

Time is a human concept. The past, the present and the future are also human concepts, invented by us to measure states of change. If we all died tomorrow, who'd be left to mark the passing of the days? Time would be at an end.

so time only exists if there are humans to experience it?

Still want to know where the idea that 'only the future is real' fits into a futurist paradigm...

Back
Top Bottom