Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it wrong to use AI generated art for Bandcamp projects?

IANAL but..

It is not illegal

It could be considered unethical as you are taking work away from artists

However unless your are making significant profit from your music there is no money to pay artists any how.

So perhaps hire an artist if you ever make any profit and for now just hate on capitalism and the gig economy.

IANAL but..

It is not illegal

It could be considered unethical as you are taking work away from artists

However unless your are making significant profit from your music there is no money to pay artists any how.

So perhaps hire an artist if you ever make any profit and for now just hate on capitalism and the gig economy.
exactly. I am in no position to hire artists. If i were that would be ideal. So that is the context from which I ask

I am not comfortable with ai replacing artists

What does it matter? If you're creating it yourself...? It's still your work.. using an AI tool .. no?
Are you creating art when you get an artist to make it for you?
If the artist is a digital artist does this change things?

I'd say creating a prompt is not the same as making art.

The art bit if the art comes from the model the ai was trained on.

A machine is fundamental different from a personal but if they take the the exact same role do you need to consider them an equivalent?

I'll do one for free for you. If you like.
Sounds good. How about:

I'm using free art here, and it's not bad. But maybe you can come up with something better. The selection of content for free clip art is rather limited I find. Thanks

EDIT: actually a better header picture for the bandcamp profile would be more useful. As you can see the header is really basic

Are you creating art when you get an artist to make it for you?
If the artist is a digital artist does this change things?

I'd say creating a prompt is not the same as making art.

The art bit if the art comes from the model the ai was trained on.

A machine is fundamental different from a personal but if they take the the exact same role do you need to consider them an equivalent?
Right now all i can afford to care about is the presentation. If and when i become mega rich then I can hire real people and not skynet

Sounds good. How about:

I'm using free art here, and it's not bad. But maybe you can come up with something better. The selection of content for free clip art is rather limited I find. Thanks

EDIT: actually a better header picture for the bandcamp profile would be more useful. As you can see the header is really basic

Just checking..

This js what I am seeing.. is this correct?

Screenshot_20231001_215722_Chrome.jpg

Eta..I've had a listen and have an idea. Sent you a pm.

Great music!!

Last edited:
no, I don’t think so. If I was actually making a lot of money off it, I’d probably pay one of my artist mates to do something. I mean I use AI powered tools to master. But not like I can afford to hire a mastering engineer.

haha, was going to post something similar, but you got there first.
You could do it too.
You're great at computer art.
Much faster than me painting.

I did have a search for an idea and found this..which I think could transfer to a painting very nicely..obviously only taking an idea..not necessarily copying.
Screenshot_20231001_224311_Chrome.jpg

You might do it much quicker.

It's legal, but as far as I know you can't claim copyright on the images. Which might be problematic down the line.
You definitely can't generate a trademark/logo and claim any kind of exclusive rights.
As for an album cover, if you're a small outfit on bandcamp I don't forsee any issues whatsoever. If you're a famous band earning megabucks then you wouldn't be employing AI for these tasks anyway.

Do they exist? The problem with it I suppose, if it's hit or miss which AI generally is, you'd still need a graphic designer to say if it's right or not.
I mean to an extent there are ones that do styled text. I've used adobe's one a bit.

And if the client can pick directly from the AI I can see a lot feeling like they don't need the middle man.

Plus however good they are now they will only be getting better.

I mean to an extent there are ones that do styled text. I've used adobe's one a bit.

And if the client can pick directly from the AI I can see a lot feeling like they don't need the middle man.

Plus however good they are now they will only be getting better.
Well one aspect is picking the correct font. The AI isn't going to know without you telling it which the correct font is. The same could be said for colour.
And then how the text is balanced with the image to give the correct weighting. The AI would somehow need to analyze the image to come up with that. And I don't think we're there yet. Midjourney produces some amazing images but the AI doesn't even know what it has created. That would be the next really good breakthrough. Being able to remove elements and have consistency across similar images.

Well then what even is correct?* And can an end user pick a correct from a list of options?

Plus I do think all that stuff is probably cliser to months away rather than years away based on how quickly the text stuff is evolving.

*rhetorical question really. I know the basics of graphic design. Just saying not everyone would consider the rules important when using an AI tool.

My mate designs book covers for mostly self publishing writers for kindle. He now uses AI art instead of whatever he could get from a shutterstock subscription. I think he accepts that he'll probably be removed by AI at some point. But then, he's probably cheaper than someone having to take out a midjourney subscription plus a graphic design one for a solitary cover so he's probably ok. AI isn't free.

1696205057486.png

My mate designs book covers for mostly self publishing writers for kindle. He now uses AI art instead of whatever he could get from a shutterstock subscription. I think he accepts that he'll probably be removed by AI at some point. But then, he's probably cheaper than someone having to take out a midjourney subscription plus a graphic design one for a solitary cover so he's probably ok. AI isn't free.

View attachment 393757
Are the books written by AI?

That is the other big grift.

Well one aspect is picking the correct font. The AI isn't going to know without you telling it which the correct font is. The same could be said for colour.
And then how the text is balanced with the image to give the correct weighting. The AI would somehow need to analyze the image to come up with that. And I don't think we're there yet. Midjourney produces some amazing images but the AI doesn't even know what it has created. That would be the next really good breakthrough. Being able to remove elements and have consistency across similar images.
Check the latest chat gpt - it has images now and can reflect on what it created and iterate on it towards a better fit for the prompt/theme etc.

Check the latest chat gpt - it has images now and can reflect on what it created and iterate on it towards a better fit for the prompt/theme etc.
I will do. The one thing I think Midjourney is missing is themes. If I have a character in a plot I want them to look the same in different situations or it doesn't make sense. Which limits narratives somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom