Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it OK to watch Al Pacino after 11PM?

I had a double VHS boxset of Carlitos Way and Scarface, so I always associate them as a pairing...Carlito's way was watched more than Scarface by a long way. Scarface is more iconic, but Carlitos is a much better film.

I mentally don't associate Michael Corleone Pacino with non-Godfather Pacino, it's like he's a different actor.

Won't trouble the top 5, and the driving scene is a bit of a shark jump, but Scent of a Woman is a very nicely done film.

Carlito's Way is a great looking film. I loved the scene in the bar where he's looking cool af in his leather coat and Santana are on the jukebox.

I must watch it again. I really enjoyed that one.

Won't trouble the top 5, and the driving scene is a bit of a shark jump, but Scent of a Woman is a very nicely done film.
It's a truly terrible film. And sure, Pacino deserved an Oscar but clearly not for this.

(When you watch his older and better films, you remember he used to be a very good actor. I haven't seen him be good in anything for a long time.)

Carlito's Way is a great looking film. I loved the scene in the bar where he's looking cool af in his leather coat and Santana are on the jukebox.

I must watch it again. I really enjoyed that one.

It was one of those films always on really late in the nineties so I associate with a particular vibe.

I also spent an evening hospital quoting the end scene to mum as I lay in a feverish state suffering from a massive allergic reaction the initial doctor dismissed as “he’ll be fine” despite being so swollen up I couldn’t touch a button without pain

The Devil's Advocate any film with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves in it was bound to be pretty good.

I watched that by accident - I went to a multiplex to see something else but it got cancelled so I ended up paying real English pounds to abuse my eyeballs with this piece of shit instead :D

• Haha
Reactions: Sue
Of the ones not mentioned so far, I'd nod approvingly at:

• ...And Justice for All
  • Cruising
  • Sea of Love
  • Glengarry Glen Ross
  • Insomnia
  • City Hall
  • Donnie Brasco [just about]
Stand Up Guys is quite fun. His turn in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was barely a cameo, but enjoyable.

Righteous Kill and 88 Minutes: piles of shit. I wasn't greatly taken with The Irishman.

I saw Dog Day Afternoon at the local cinema when it came out.
People today would not understand the cry of "Attica, Attica".
Entirely pointless bit of trivia: Heather Ann Thompson's generally excellent book on Attica, Blood in the Water, mentions Dog Day Afternoon as an example of the uprising's cultural impact. She also mentions that it gets mentioned in a 2002 episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, which made me curious enough to look up the clip in question, and it turns out that the SpongeBob line about Attica is very clearly a reference to Dog Day Afternoon. The fact that Thompson seemed to miss the fairly obvious connection between DDA and the SpongeBob bit does make you wonder what else the book might have missed or got wrong. What children watching SpongeBob in 2002 made of any of this is anyone's guess, I suppose. Good film, anyway.

The Devil's Advocate any film with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves in it was bound to be pretty good.

This was at the fringe period when Keanu was still known as Kean't Act but he was ok. Pacino clearly having a lot of fun with the role.

Back
Top Bottom