Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish Unity Watch Thread

I live in London but am from Monaghan. You might not use those terms but on the border plenty of people do.

also there are plenty of people around the border who would claim they’ve more in common with the rest of the province of Ulster (including both traditions) than they have with southerners.

I find it hard to believe you’re not aware of this.

I know plenty people who live near the border. 3/4 my family are from there. They dont call Ireland the "southern state".

I do agree though that people in the republic often have very little in common with people in NI unless they have connections with family. This was a result of partition.

I think once Mr Varadakar is turfed out of office, there might be a more concentrated push for unity. His heart just doesn't seem in it. Of course it must be inclusive and equal - all societies must. The rise of right wing "nationalism" is a worry, in the meantime, that shouldn't be overlooked.

isn't NI a net drain on the UK take out the civil servant jobs and the place looks even more wretched

I’ve often wondered what English attitudes to the Union are like, whether any polling has been done about whether people want to remain in union with Scotland and Ireland. With Ireland it could be one of those things where a weird alliance of left support for a United Ireland and tightarsed Tories not wanting to ‘subsidise’ the provinces might mean a majority would want NI gone. Could forsee some amusing trolling of unionists if the numbers show the English don’t want them anyway.

I’ve often wondered what English attitudes to the Union are like, whether any polling has been done about whether people want to remain in union with Scotland and Ireland. With Ireland it could be one of those things where a weird alliance of left support for a United Ireland and tightarsed Tories not wanting to ‘subsidise’ the provinces might mean a majority would want NI gone. Could forsee some amusing trolling of unionists if the numbers show the English don’t want them anyway.

There was a recent poll of English Conservative party members on Brexit and it’s impact on the Union. 58% said they would give up Northern Ireland to achieve Brexit with only 28% against. That went down like a lead balloon in Unionist circles here. You wouldn’t believe that level of delusion among some of them, they honestly believe that they’re an integral part of the Union. Half of them have probably never even stepped foot in England and if they did they’d soon realise that they’re just another paddy to most English people.

Can view the poll here: Most Conservative members would see party destroyed to achieve Brexit | YouGov

There was a recent poll of English Conservative party members on Brexit and it’s impact on the Union. 58% said they would give up Northern Ireland to achieve Brexit with only 28% against. That went down like a lead balloon in Unionist circles here. You wouldn’t believe that level of delusion among some of them, they honestly believe that they’re an integral part of the Union. Half of them have probably never even stepped foot in England and if they did they’d soon realise that they’re just another paddy to most English people.

Can view the poll here: Most Conservative members would see party destroyed to achieve Brexit | YouGov
Unionist love the threat of a sellout.

I think the majority are happy for Ni to go if the majority want to go, pira's campaign of trying to bomb the British out was wrong-headed from the start the British are as least as bloody-minded as the Irish possibly more so physical force was always going to end one way.
much as the majority would love the prods to feck off I don't think you can actually kick Ni out especially if the south wasn't ready to take them

A Fintan O'Toole piece from last summer:

4021_001.jpg

Two obvious points: it's best to avoid botched exits, if the precedents are things like Brexit or partition. But what if a botched exit of some kind is the only option on the table?

Secondly, "a united Ireland cannot be thought of as a top-down nation state governed from Dublin. So what does it look like?" Indeed - especially when the centralization of economic and political power in Dublin is going to persist even if we try not to think of a united Ireland as a top-down nation state etc. etc.

I think the majority are happy for Ni to go if the majority want to go, pira's campaign of trying to bomb the British out was wrong-headed from the start the British are as least as bloody-minded as the Irish possibly more so physical force was always going to end one way.
much as the majority would love the prods to feck off I don't think you can actually kick Ni out especially if the south wasn't ready to take them

Considering that
There Are Only 22 Countries in the World That the British Haven’t Invaded
Lol...the "British" historically are far more bloody minded than the Irish.
There Are Only 22 Countries in the World That the British Haven’t Invaded

Last edited:
Ah, lads.

There's actually a case for some kind of institutionalised representation of minorities in a plural society - that's why there's a specific seat in the Senate for Trinity College - back when TCD was the Protestant university, having a seat in the upper house meant there would always be at least one member of the Protestant minority in Dail Eireann. But this is just silly.

Yeah, those pesky Paddies. They should have just rolled over, and ate grass from the side of the road, mixed with mud.

Because murdering 2000 odd people achieved the sum of fuck all taking on the most warlike country on the planet with a slack handful of gunmen hoping they'd get tired of the resulting conflict was a fools plan.
Ni is still British the ira disarmed

Because murdering 2000 odd people achieved the sum of fuck all taking on the most warlike country on the planet with a slack handful of gunmen hoping they'd get tired of the resulting conflict was a fools plan.

Sorry but you've got that a bit arseways....
The IRA was extremely successful as a small group of guerilla warfare experts. And they were very successful as such. They basically boxed way above their weight.

Ah, lads.

There's actually a case for some kind of institutionalised representation of minorities in a plural society - that's why there's a specific seat in the Senate for Trinity College - back when TCD was the Protestant university, having a seat in the upper house meant there would always be at least one member of the Protestant minority in Dail Eireann. But this is just silly.

There have been protestant TDs in the Dail. And even in the very first government.

I doubt 30% is quite representative though. I'd imagine less...

Eta. Not all protestants in Ireland are unionists.
Just saying.

Last edited:
Sorry but you've got that a bit arseways....
The IRA was extremely successful as a small group of guerilla warfare experts. And they were very successful as such. They basically boxed way above their weight.
war is politics by other means doesn't matter if you're brilliant at airsoft with live rounds.
Pira didn't achieve its aims.
Northern Ireland is still British the Ira disarmed

war is politics by other means doesn't matter if you're brilliant at airsoft with live rounds.
Pira didn't achieve its aims.
Northern Ireland is still British the Ira disarmed

It's actually not that black and white....but you can believe that if you want. Things are changing and the peace process was forged by those people you seem to hate. Many of those who were in the IRA have also worked for peace. Without that process the problem would be a lot worse. Also, don't forget that the British army set foot in NI and along with corrupt RUC and leadership, were a catalyst for the troubles.

likesfish
Remember this....there is still a mandate for the people in NI to vote for joining the republic.
And it is getting stronger. Brexit has made sure that this vote will happen sooner rather than later and it is pretty definite that a united Ireland will happen. It may take 10 or 20 more years but it will happen.

i think the conservative party using the prosecution of soldier F and JC links to the Ira as a gambit in the election

will further increase the chances of a united ireland

its not just brexit.. to call for a civil case against an ira bomber yesterday

but demand that no british soldier face prosecution for acts during the trouble is worrying and fucking stupid

Last edited:
:hmm:

who been supporting a regime in the north who cannot even hold a fucking parilment
which was suspended because of dodgy money lending to cronies

TO VOTE FOR
not be forced by a minority of gunmen massive difference

Yeah... the IRA in all its forms has had absolutely no influence on the history, politics and lives of the people in NI. Might as well not have been there at all. Then the unionists would have had free reign to dominate nationalists and Gerrymander every vote...hold onto all the jobs...and let the nationalists die in poverty. Pretty much what the British government tried to do in the rest of Ireland outside of the pale.
Yes..of course you are right...the IRA and INLA should have no place in the history of Ireland and it's republic let alone the history of NI and the future of NI and a united Ireland..

Plonker. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ax^

It was a stalemate, recognised as such by the Brits themselves. Flip your argument on its head and you’ll realise that the British Army, with all its might and machinery couldn’t defeat a slack handful of gunmen. Who do you think the victors were there then?

and the ballocks from some people who have served in the milteray who say the voted for Bojo because he protects the veterans

but sorry when you start shooting british citzens you should be fucking prosecuted

and then your age and responsibility should come into it

Back
Top Bottom