Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Indoor Cycling

Stopped to look at the Kick Bike today. On a trip round Richmond Park , Hampton Court etc

I may just pull the trigger on it. Much quieter than I had led myself to believe from watching umpteen DC Rainmaker videos - and not as large

Only immediate downside is that it it quite hard for an old lump like me to get on and off it - as you can't tip it to one side to get you leg over (obviously)

So Question:
Zwift or Sufferfest? Think I'll start with some gentle zwifting

If you like gameified, Zwift all the way.

I will cycle up hills to get somewhere. It’s not very hilly in Leeds mind

I've never quite got my head around Leeds. I did have OU lectures (the other OU) there. But a limited view of the city.

Sheffield has some good views. But they do come with hills.

Stopped to look at the Kick Bike today. On a trip round Richmond Park , Hampton Court etc

I may just pull the trigger on it. Much quieter than I had led myself to believe from watching umpteen DC Rainmaker videos - and not as large

Only immediate downside is that it it quite hard for an old lump like me to get on and off it - as you can't tip it to one side to get you leg over (obviously)

So Question:
Zwift or Sufferfest? Think I'll start with some gentle zwifting
Zwift, you can just start riding. I found Sufferfest intensely annoying and such a faff to get going that I gave up.

I have a Kickr Snap. Super simple, keep the wheel on - just swap your quick release skewer - I just keep the Kickr skewer in all the time. I wore out a tire fairly quickly over winter but I was using it 4/5 days per week. It was the original tire the bike came with though so probably wasn't too far away from replacement anyway. Keeping the tire - will probably swap it back on next winter. Was hoping to be using the trainer less now but the weather has been so shit.

Zwift it is then - although already narked that they don't offer a family option. So if Mrs Nick and the Nickettes want to play they will have to register as under 16s to get a free account.

I've never quite got my head around Leeds. I did have OU lectures (the other OU) there. But a limited view of the city.

Sheffield has some good views. But they do come with hills.
Top of Whitehall Rd up towards Gildersome, the old tip in Armley, Cookridge, the hill going down into Otley. All great views.

Still working through the free apps:
  • Couple of days of zwift free trial - "fox" hill was fun but the wrong way round from my usual real life route. The Rendering of London is more PS1 than GTA5. It is involving
  • Now soaking up the Sufferfest trial - quite liking it so far (not finding the setup faff that Magneze mentioned - but I would hope not since all the bits are in the Wahoo universe). Think the GCN videos are less annoying than I imagine Peloton would be
  • Next to try is bigRingVR

It is different to real cycling but enjoyable in a different way - more importantly I can do a 30 minute thing at 8.28, get off the bike and join a meeting at 9am - which I wouldn't do if I actually had to leave the room

Still working through the free apps:
  • Couple of days of zwift free trial - "fox" hill was fun but the wrong way round from my usual real life route. The Rendering of London is more PS1 than GTA5. It is involving
  • Now soaking up the Sufferfest trial - quite liking it so far (not finding the setup faff that Magneze mentioned - but I would hope not since all the bits are in the Wahoo universe). Think the GCN videos are less annoying than I imagine Peloton would be
  • Next to try is bigRingVR

It is different to real cycling but enjoyable in a different way - more importantly I can do a 30 minute thing at 8.28, get off the bike and join a meeting at 9am - which I wouldn't do if I actually had to leave the room

With zwift I generally stick to watopia. More variation... Yeah, the graphics aren't great, but I suppose because it's designed to run on a load of different devices. They could do with making some improvements though.

With zwift I generally stick to watopia. More variation... Yeah, the graphics aren't great, but I suppose because it's designed to run on a load of different devices. They could do with making some improvements though.
Not so much a criticism, more a differentiator between responsive 1st Gen rendering and unresponsive video of the ass of some thin bloke in Lycra in front of you.

Still want to find Richmond Park on Zwift as I know that well and it would be interesting to compare times, difficulty etc between virtual and real life

Good that they fixed it. It was shit.

With Zwift I usually ride in Watopia... Bit more varied. some of it is locked until you hit level 5/6 though. Which is pretty easy, but not really the best way to be spending summer cycling hours.

Back
Top Bottom