Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Indonesian submarine with 53 people on board is missing

A380

How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?
An Indonesian submarine with 53 people on board is missing and has air for only three days left. Poor fuckers. Hope that they are saved, and if not hope it was a quick implosion I 've been on submarines alongside a few times and whilst not claustrophobic normally would find it very hard to think of the water all around.

I thought I knew Indonesia quite well. No idea they had submarines tbh. The idea scares me.

I hope the crew are ok but when things go wrong on a sub it’s pretty much game over :(

Continually surprised at the countries that operate military subs.

Poor sods.

It's a 'cheap' way of doing sea control/denial. If you've got subs you're a player - half-a-dozen diesel/electric subs and anyone is going to have to work very hard indeed to get close to you. Subs aren't cheap, and the crews and their training aren't cheap, but you get a great deal of fear for your buck, vastly more than you would with surface ships.

With subs you're a navy, without you're a coast guard - and everyone wants to be a playah...

It's a 'cheap' way of doing sea control/denial. If you've got subs you're a player - half-a-dozen diesel/electric subs and anyone is going to have to work very hard indeed to get close to you. Subs aren't cheap, and the crews and their training aren't cheap, but you get a great deal of fear for your buck, vastly more than you would with surface ships.

To stop all those amphibious landings which are such a feature of modern warfare?

I appreciate their usefulness certainly in a conventional style war but they now seem like a bit of a WW2 relic, like tanks. Its that old adage about always fighting the previous war. How many submarine 'kills' (not counting cruise missiles lobbed at land targets) have their been since the Kriegsmarine threw in the towel? Off the top of my head I can think of two: The Belgrano going to the bottom and an India / Pakistan incident.

I know they are cool and all and the UK's nuke deterrent but I don't know. They don't appear to be very practical in stopping someone attacking you with their laptop or drome from the safety of their front room.

Are these old subs (like the Argentinian one that met the same fate) even true submarines or are they submersibles? If they ain't nuclear that must be some serious batteries they were given since they were built in a pre-Tesla era.

An UUW has been down to the wreck site - she's in 3 bits at 850m.

There are some reports that in the rather murky images you can see what could be a survival suit - it wouldn't surprise me if that were true, but I think it's very unlikely that anyone was trying to get out at that kind of depth. She almost certainly imploded - the seals around the prop shaft, the escape hatches, and the torpedo tubes would have given way - between 400m and 600m, and of course we've no idea what actually caused the catastrophic loss of control in the first place.

Interesting that most navy submarines have a maximum operational depth of around a relatively poxy 300m, which isn’t even a tenth of the average depth of the worlds oceans.

Interesting that most navy submarines have a maximum operational depth of around a relatively poxy 300m, which isn’t even a tenth of the average depth of the worlds oceans.
I imagine that torpedoes or depth charges have a much deeper operational range, and the hull re-enforcement would make the sub heavier and thus slower and less maneuverable. The engineers or war planners probably determined that it isn't worthwhile to go deeper.

The Soviet Alpha class had an operational depth of about 900m, and to get that her hull was built from titanium. I wouldn't be surprised if that alone not far off bankrupted the SU...

There are advantages of being able to go really deep - hiding and sonar performance - but it comes with huge costs, as well as tactical disadvantages, so the VLF communications that the missile subs use for launch orders might not work at that depth, and firing a torpedo at 1000m would use a huge amount of compressed air to get it out of the hull.

An UUW has been down to the wreck site - she's in 3 bits at 850m.

There are some reports that in the rather murky images you can see what could be a survival suit - it wouldn't surprise me if that were true, but I think it's very unlikely that anyone was trying to get out at that kind of depth. She almost certainly imploded - the seals around the prop shaft, the escape hatches, and the torpedo tubes would have given way - between 400m and 600m, and of course we've no idea what actually caused the catastrophic loss of control in the first place.

Escape suits would be fuck all use at that depth surely?

Its more likely an escape suit is dayglo so more likely to be spotted amongst the wreckage.
A sub would have to hit the sea level in relatively shallow and relatively intact for escape suits to be even considered.
The poor sods in the Kursk who survived the initial explosion might have had a chance. Or an Astute nose diving in the channel.🙄
The Indonesian or the Argentine sub would have a Imploded long before somebody got a suit on. The process of evacuation is involved and the suits are not easy to get on.

The yanks call their escape hatch the mom hatch. Something to show your mum so she doesn't worry. As If something goes wrong on a sub it's likely to be very fast and very lethal 😳. The Russians had a sub with an escape pod it worked reached the surface but half the people couldn't get out before it filled with water and went back down! Lot of the crew died of hypothermia waiting for rescue.

There's an RN officer on twitter - Ladislaus I think. Former submariner, and he tells that whenever they had a visitor to the boat he would always bring them in through the forward escape hatch: after that their demeanor would change immediately...

The unpleasant truth is that in only a tiny percentage of submarine accidents is there any chance whatsoever of getting any, let alone all, of the crew out, and even then it's difficult, dangerous task with dreadful time constraints and a lot that can go very wrong, very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom