Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

India: where to begin???

Clothing wise any tips? I mean in the weather sense. I always wear Indian attire when I'm there. It's just easier for women.

Don't think it'll be wet but not sure on temps at night, early morning.

Was cool at night in Udaipur in late December. Needed a jumper/cardigan. Daytime was nice 'n hot though.

My dad has just got back from India, literally this morning, and he reports that there are monkeys in Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur and Delhi.

I would like to take some little things to give out to the children we'll meet. I hear biros are loved and I was going to take some hand me downs my daughter has grown out of. Sweets? Chocolates? Anything else? Bahnhof Strasse did you do this? Any ideas welcomed. :)

Also if anyone knows of any brilliant ashrams please let me know. We'll be staying in some through Rajasthan.

I would like to take some little things to give out to the children we'll meet. I hear biros are loved and I was going to take some hand me downs my daughter has grown out of. Sweets? Chocolates? Anything else? Bahnhof Strasse did you do this? Any ideas welcomed. :)

No. We did think about it. But there are two schools of thought, both equally valid; 1: it's a nice thing to do. 2: It encourages begging.

As we didn't really want to give to beggars, for the simple reason of when you start how do you stop? We made a donation to Save The Children, which chickens out but takes the pressure of us.

Perhaps because we weren't looking, we didn't really see kids hanging around or begging. Nothing like you see in many African countries. But as said, perhaps because we weren't looking?

Once we got to Mumbai we were told of slumaid which helps kids in that city. There's a place that really needs help, so we ended up donating again!

No. We did think about it. But there are two schools of thought, both equally valid; 1: it's a nice thing to do. 2: It encourages begging.

As we didn't really want to give to beggars, for the simple reason of when you start how do you stop? We made a donation to Save The Children, which chickens out but takes the pressure of us.

Perhaps because we weren't looking, we didn't really see kids hanging around or begging. Nothing like you see in many African countries. But as said, perhaps because we weren't looking?

Once we got to Mumbai we were told of slumaid which helps kids in that city. There's a place that really needs help, so we ended up donating again!
Valid points. I'd just break my heart to walk away without going bing them something little. They are begging, they will continue to I expect as long as suckers like me are around :facepalm:. We're traveling quite extensive across Rajasthan and on trains a lot so I think our experience will be different. I'm surprised you didn't see many kids. I saw loads last time.

Valid points. I'd just break my heart to walk away without going bing them something little. They are begging, they will continue to I expect as long as suckers like me are around :facepalm:. We're traveling quite extensive across Rajasthan and on trains a lot so I think our experience will be different. I'm surprised you didn't see many kids. I saw loads last time.

Like I say, perhaps we just weren't seeing them cos we weren't looking.

When I previously went to India 20 years ago there seemed to be many more beggars than now. Again, perhaps that isn't the case, we didn't take trains, so maybe were cossetted a bit.

What's the score with dope smoking in India? Is it easy to score and relatively decriminalised? I wouldn't flaunt it obviously. I use it medicinally so it'd be good to have some if needed.

It's only tolerated in religious places for sacramental reasons. Buy it on the street and you could go down for 10 years.

I've read other forums where they say it's piss easy to get and it was in Punjab when I went ten years ago. Just wondered if anyone on here had any experiences.

Bahnhof Strasse whats the tipping protocol? How much were you giving?

Once again the demonetisation affects this. As small notes are hard to come by you can't easily afford to be chucking them about. This is the biggest shame, as a ₹100 is just over a quid so fuck all to us, yet means a lot to a taxi driver who's driven for an hour for a ₹700 fare, yet you can't be lobbing your ₹100's around.

As a consequence we found no one really expected a tip, (it's never been like the US where tipping is pretty much mandatory), but when we could tip it was always appreciated. a ₹700 taxi fare, if you can bung him a ₹1000 then he'll be well chuffed.

But if you don't tip no one seems to get the hump.

So I guess tip as much as you feel able to to...

Last edited:
Did you go to Fatehpur Sikri? I loved Rajesthan too and have visited twice. First time in Jaipur I fell in love with the amber palace and second time it was all of Udiapur. Would love a Bhang lassi or cookie please!

Pens and pencils are great, cos kids can use them at school.

Myself and friends will be heading to India at the very end of 2017 for at least 10 days, maybe 3 weeks .... we (same gang) have not been since around Xmas 1997/1998! :eek:

And we've no clear idea yet where we'll be going, either. First planning meeting early March.

We'll come up with loads ourselves, and my friends are genuine experts, who unlike me have been many many times since 1998.

But this thread also looks like this the place to follow for me.

Loads of useful looking stuff, thanks folks! :)

Maharani me and j bought a lot of pens and took them to schools for the kids, we also took quite a few kids and their grannies for food or invited them to have their own table where we were eating and to order whatever they liked (they only ever ordered rice and chapatti and tea bless them). We gave money, sweets and clothes.

I did the same when I went with my parents before that. My mum and dad went often as a couple and would fill their suitcases with our old clothes to give away. My dad gave a taxi driver the shirt off his back once because he said liked it.

Back
Top Bottom