Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of the Class T/Tripath amp.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
I've just had to replace the amp in my bedroom hi-fi set up, after the gnarly old Goodmans box farted its' last fart.
I remembered the "Sonic Impact" T-amps getting a rave review from several posters a couple of years back, so just randomly searched ebay for "t-amps" and came up with plenty of choice, from the affordable to the ridiculous (the ridiculous being "audiophile" versions of the T-amp).
I eventually settled on a shortlist of models, and then googled the brands, read up on electronics lists about the peculiarities of particular models, then bought one of these (along with a power supply):

Lepai-Mini-HiFi-Car-Amplifier-TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier-Digital-T-AMP-Silver-8110.jpg

I then bought a decent audio source switch, plugged all my components in, wired the speakers up and fired it up. Result: Much less "mud" in the sound than the crappy old Goodmans amp I was using, and for a lot less than a "name brand" amp would have cost me even second-hand.

I'll be honest and say that when I first read about t-amps, I thought "more audio-bullshitting", but I'm impressed at how good the sound is for so little money, and the hobby electronics (as opposed to the audiophile) community seems to think so too.

Back
Top Bottom