Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of Pork Scratchings

Quite like them with a cider, but really the trick is to share a pack with a few friends, minimising the damage to your health.

Best pig-based product of them all, but no form of indigestion can make you feel as close to death as the feeling you get after eating too many scratchings (especially if they're home made). Looked in a mirror and I was literally green in the face.

This is something I clearly need to try. Well maybe without the over eating and feeling ill.

This is something I clearly need to try. Well maybe without the over eating and feeling ill.

All you need is a large pan, some chopped up pig skin, a cooker, plenty of patience and a strong stomach.

Dice pig skin into cubes a bit smaller than 1". Put it on low to medium heat (not too high or you'll cause a massive lard fuelled fire). Nothing happens for what seems like ages. Then the fat starts to melt and then sizzles (very gently). The skin cooks in its own fat. You have to watch it like a hawk and keep stirring with a metal slotted spoon or spatula so that no one bit catches and burns. It all happens very very slowly, though at a fierce temperature - depending how much you're frying at once it can take up to 45mins . Once all the bits have turned delicious golden brown and are barely giving out any more bubbles, you fish them out and drain them (ideally on kitchen paper or brown paper which you then throw away). Apply salt and/or any flavourings at this point. Probably you will eat too many just while cooking them anyway, so the indigestion is a given. and you then have a large pan full of home-rendered lard to enjoy, or dispose of. Don't pour it down the sink, obviously.

You could try sucking them?
They seem to vary from the very hard to slightly crisps with a soft center.

They are the best ones. With the crispy edge and melty fat on the inside. There was a brand which were like little rock
hard pea sized bits, - they were rubbish.

And that other stuff, pork Crunch. A very poor substitute. Obviously I now really want some proper pork scratchings. :(

Quoting all messed up. Still dunno why cursor bounces to top of message box whenever I press return, e.g. to do a new line.

All you need is a large pan, some chopped up pig skin, a cooker, plenty of patience and a strong stomach.

Dice pig skin into cubes a bit smaller than 1". Put it on low to medium heat (not too high or you'll cause a massive lard fuelled fire). Nothing happens for what seems like ages. Then the fat starts to melt and then sizzles (very gently). The skin cooks in its own fat. You have to watch it like a hawk and keep stirring with a metal slotted spoon or spatula so that no one bit catches and burns. It all happens very very slowly, though at a fierce temperature - depending how much you're frying at once it can take up to 45mins . Once all the bits have turned delicious golden brown and are barely giving out any more bubbles, you fish them out and drain them (ideally on kitchen paper or brown paper which you then throw away). Apply salt and/or any flavourings at this point. Probably you will eat too many just while cooking them anyway, so the indigestion is a given. and you then have a large pan full of home-rendered lard to enjoy, or dispose of. Don't pour it down the sink, obviously.

I never would have guessed that. I always assumed they were just deep fried.

Yeah, t
Not sure my teeth could cope with them anymore. :eek:
That’s my main reason for avoiding them these days, though a few years ago I was delighted to find some excellent ones when we were on holiday in northern Spain.

I’d always thought of them as a British delicacy.

Yeah, t

That’s my main reason for avoiding them these days, though a few years ago I was delighted to find some excellent ones when we were on holiday in northern Spain.

I’d always thought of them as a British delicacy.
Had them in Spain and Portugal although some are very soft others have a bit of crisp and once bought a kilo bag of Brazilian ones over here, which in hindsight was ambitious.

Back
Top Bottom