Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of Genesis

I enjoyed this thread. As a life long prog fan Ive always been unsure about Genesis, although Ive heard most of their albums. I do prefer the Gabriel years, always have. I havent ever heard Trespass, which is favourably rated by all it seems. I have been listening to Trespass for the last 30 minutes and its sounding good. I do like the earlier posts in this thread the best, they had the most imagination and wonder. From the middle towards the end of the posts on this thread the posts sold out a bit and were more concise, and the last few posts were too contemporary.

For the sake of balance - most fans tend not to rate Trespass that highly.

That is interesting.

I am a Rush fan. 2112, A farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, permanent waves and Moving pictures person. I grew up with prog rock. I am determined to get my head around the Gabriel era Genesis.

That is interesting.

I am a Rush fan. 2112, A farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, permanent waves and Moving pictures person. I grew up with prog rock. I am determined to get my head around the Gabriel era Genesis.

Well I guess you're probably either best off with Foxtrot or Trick of the Tail (the latter is post Gabriel but still very much prog rock). But Trespass is the one I like.

Phil Collins looks very frail in this video and perhaps not long for this world. I’ve always had a guilty pleasure for his era of Genesis, and some of his solo stuff (no tired American Psycho memes please).

For someone who had such a distinctive drumming style, it’s a shame to see that he’s not able to hold a drum stick, and he’s having to sing sitting down. Age gets to us all.

How did he get so frail?

I mean I know 70 isn't exactly young, but he looks terminally ill there compared to Rutherford and Banks and distinctively slurring in his speech too.
My wife was telling me about this yesterday. Apparently he had surgery on a damaged vertebrae which went wrong and did further damage. He, apparently, has limited feeling in his hand and has his drumstick taped to it.

I thought he had suffered a stroke from that video, but either way it sounds like the health problems have intensified since the spinal issue.

My wife was telling me about this yesterday. Apparently he had surgery on a damaged vertebrae which went wrong and did further damage. He, apparently, has limited feeling in his hand and has his drumstick taped to it.

Blimey, it seems to have affected his neurological functions something chronic. Not sure I'd want to be out there doing a last hurrah in that state tbh.

Blimey, it seems to have affected his neurological functions something chronic. Not sure I'd want to be out there doing a last hurrah in that state tbh.
Yeah I’d not fancy it myself, but I suppose once a performer etc.
Hope he enjoys his last time on the road.

I can’t afford the tour (didn’t even realise it was happening) and no date is within 100 miles anyway. I will have to catch the Genesis tribute band when it comes locally, a bit like Phil Collins I need to sit down at gigs these days.

Some cracking lyrics, although better suited to a metal band perhaps:

And unto Adam he said,
Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife,
and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying,
Thou shalt not eat of it:
cursed is the ground for thy sake;
in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee;
and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread,
till thou return unto the ground;
for out of it wast thou taken:
for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Some cracking lyrics, although better suited to a metal band perhaps:

And unto Adam he said,
Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife,
and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying,
Thou shalt not eat of it:
cursed is the ground for thy sake;
in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee;
and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread,
till thou return unto the ground;
for out of it wast thou taken:
for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
I love it when the beat drops on

Dust shalt thou return!
Dust shalt thou return!
Dust shalt thou return!

Blimey, it seems to have affected his neurological functions something chronic.
Indeed. There seems to be something wrong with his brain. He has deteriorated shockingly since the last time I saw him interviewed. He is indeed very frail now. Maybe there is something they arent telling us about all this. There may be a bit more going on or had been going on.

The band should call it a day. Saw some of that documentary, just looked painful for Phil and was filmed awhile back. He even admits he’d rather just meetup with the band down the pub.

Just been watching the The Last Domino? documentary on Sky. It looks like Parkinsons to me given the slurred speech and difficult hand movements. A former neighbour of my childhood home had it and it looks remarkably similar. Yes Collins is a good singer and drummer but he's also got that evil streak. I have a love/hate thing for Genesis anyway.

And the whole being a Tory thing?

On the day before the 1992 general election, Bizarre columnist Piers Morgan quoted Collins as saying: “If they put up taxes, I’d consider going abroad.” This single line, mutated via Chinese whispers into a cast-iron vow to emigrate if Labour won, proved disastrous. “I remember getting letters from nurses saying, ‘That’s it, I’m not buying any more of your records,’” he says glumly. “I didn’t mean it the way it came out.”

Did he ever vote Conservative?

“I didn’t vote, actually. And that’s not something I’m proud of. I was just so busy that I rarely was here.”

Phil Collins returns: ‘I got letters from nurses saying, “That’s it, I’m not buying your records”’

Anyway, Tory or not, sad news.

Back
Top Bottom