Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In praise of Genesis

haven't heard from genesis to revelation but i love trespass the whole album is amazing.

It's much more straightforward than Trespass (and it should also be said that Trespass is a vast improvement on it, especially lyrically). Angsty little songs from public school boys (they were still at school at the time, recorded in the summer holidays). It's surprisingly good though. Jonathan King produced and perhaps a little marred with strings and horns overdubs. Say what you like about Jonathan King he was very good at hanging around boys schools checking out the talent...

03936962d70790e4f9a92bdbe6d60e47de6b1f94.gifv

6b70df9fb3e7d747cc8fd6e9a11fc4c90bf6234e.gifv

Who wouldn't be thrilled to dress as a gigantic prancing ranunculus? Fabulous stuff. I made a large paeony hat (in plum velvet) in homage. I was forced to issue savage reprisals to my sister who stole it and painted 'skins' on the brim (fucking barbarian).
Music though...erm, not really (I preferred Stackridge for bucolic drollery and the Increds for surreal noodling).
Gets cape.

Ta :) did like that album not heard it for a good 30 years - Lamb Lies Down was favourite I think though, last one before Gabriel left

I've a Steve Hackett solo album which is basically a Genesis LP (the rest of the band play on it) - I've mixed feelings about most of the album, but the second half of the final track Shadow of the Heirophant is solid gold - check this out.

I spotted a teaching room newly available for me to check today and accidentally blasted the lawnmower intro massively loudly and freaked out the colleague arranging the furniture :oops:

There was a training course going on next door too :oops:

I've a Steve Hackett solo album which is basically a Genesis LP (the rest of the band play on it) - I've mixed feelings about most of the album, but the second half of the final track Shadow of the Heirophant is solid gold - check this out.

I thought that was the one with the beautiful track featuring Randy Crawford on vocals (Hoping Love Will Last) but that's on Please Don't Touch!.

I listened to 4 or 5 genesis albums today and wind and Wuthering really hits the spot right now.
Also listened to Revelation which was not engaging, was cold and self indulgent

Visiting this thread increasingly feels like venturing into a ‘What's your favourite Flavor Aid cocktail?’ page on a Peoples Temple fan site.

I listened to 4 or 5 genesis albums today and wind and Wuthering really hits the spot right now.
Also listened to Revelation which was not engaging, was cold and self indulgent

tis not a masochist

but fair enough for the effort

I'll confess that about six months ago I listened to Suppers Ready and really enjoyed it despite myself. I had a bit of Genesis moment (don't worry it won't happen again). I've never really liked it, but the Trick of the Tail album is very proficient, it's probably their peak in terms of proggy technical wizardry. I've gone right off Selling England By the Pound (though I like Phil's little song on it). Trespass is still by far my favourite album by them and the only one I return to with any regularity. Looking for Someone, White Mountain, Visions of Angels and Stagnation are great songs as is Seven Stones off the Nursery Cryme album.

So I still like them best not just before they became a chart topping pop band but before they became a tight prog rock band when they were still a bit woolly and folky, I think there's a sincerity and a willingness to explore for that short period. The theatrics of the post-Trespass Gabriel era are fun enough but pale in comparison to eg. Van Der Graaf Generator. Even Nursery Cryme and songs like Musical Box are playing safe by comparison. I don't think they sold out when they went pop, they were always riding a popular wave. And that's fine, but they weren't really taking risks.

In a moment of procrastination, I've gone through my favourite Genesis songs again. And yes! I'm going to do a top ten favourite Genesis songs. I don't really like the band in general so don't take this as in anyway an attempt of a best of, just my personal favourites. And to be fair I really like these ones.

10) Where the Sour Turns to Sweet (Genesis to Revelation)

Decent pop song that opens the first album. Quite hooky, and a nice contrast between the verse and the chorus and a good intro. Very of its time.

9) Watcher in the Skies (Foxtrot)

Thumping opener to their breakthrough album. Difficult to dislike this one.

8) Harold the Barrel (Nursery Cryme)

A dark comedy song about a suicide with all sort of theatrics. Good tight, bouncy rhythm section.

7) Seven Stones (Nursery Cryme)

This one's an elegant nihilistic parable that swells with painful emotion. Reasonably hooky with it.

6) Visions of Angels (Trespass)

The acoustic guitar and piano combine very sweetly here and whereas it gets a bit clunky when the rest of the band come in, it's got such an anguished sense of glory to it, I can't help but love it.

5) Super's Ready (Foxtrot)

Their 20min+ epic. And whereas it's not really through composed rather stitched together sections, it's still a great singalong. The tune that opens and closes it is glorious. It's tempting to compare it unfavourably with VdGG's Plague of Lighthouse Keepers which I suspect it draws influence from, but it's best to just enjoy it as it is.

4) Stagnation (Trespass)

Meditative and dramatic by turns. Just as with Visions of Angels Phillips and Banks are playing beautifully off each other. There's a no fuss bendy organ (I think?) solo over rippling 12 string guitars which is all shades of wonderful.

3) Looking For Someone (Trespass)

Stops and starts as it oscillates between anguish and determination, it takes you on a journey that's dreamy and nightmarish by turns. I think it's Gabriel's best vocal and there's really nice touches from Phillip's (electric for once) guitar.

2) More Fool Me (Selling England by the Pound)

Sandwiched between the dry prog rock and their first serious attempt at a breakthrough dry pop single is this relatable soulful little song. I forgot how much I like this one. It's absolutely gorgeous. Drummer Collins on vocals and he shows up the front man.

1) White Mountain (Trespass)

Fool that I am, this one really gets to me. Story about a rebellious wolf being made to fight to the death. It has such a great sense of urgency and tension. Those twelve sting guitars... Genesis's prog rock efforts could be clunky and lumpy, but here for once it all flows beautifully. It's the song I think of when I think of Genesis.

Back
Top Bottom