Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Iconic One-Liners In Film

My favourite line in Yojimbo was always this:

View attachment 211717

There are so many of them in that film, but then again it is a masterpiece - even the non-speaking bits are amazing (like where Sanjuro and Genji watch the cop handing out bribes to the inspectors, or where Genji is dangling from a rope just before the final fight).

edit: oh and of course the dog

I think the subtitlers might have been coasting by the time they got to Kagemusha though...

SUBDOM005kagemusha.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sue
There are so many of them in that film, but then again it is a masterpiece - even the non-speaking bits are amazing (like where Sanjuro and Genji watch the cop handing out bribes to the inspectors, or where Genji is dangling from a rope just before the final fight).

edit: oh and of course the dog
I read a really interesting article on Seven Samurai about how Kurosawa used his frame composition to tell the story for him, and utilised natural geometry and different perspective on succeeding shots to push that storytelling forward non-verbally - not big obvious things, but the sort of stuff that tricks your brain. Wish I could find it again!

If the English language subs are anything to go by, much-loved Finnish war movie Tuntematon Sotilas (the original 1955 version) is choc-full of some very ribald dialogue amongst the soldiers as they await Soviet attack:

SUBDOM017tuntematonsotilas-1.jpgSUBDOM017tuntematonsotilas-2.jpgSUBDOM017tuntematonsotilas-3.jpgSUBDOM017tuntematonsotilas-4.jpg

Perusing the DVD shelves, one immediately jumped out:

Wicked-Witch-of-the-West.jpg

“I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!”

Also

"I'm melting... melting!!!"

When humanity, subjugated by the terror of crime, has been driven insane by fear and horror and when chaos has become supreme law, then the time will have come for the empire of crime.

View attachment 211741

"You, you cunt"

(Tony Kebell, embarrassed, looks away; "I can't take him anywhere").
There's some great ones in that, from Richard in particular:

“You, you were supposed to be a monster - now I'm the fucking beast.”

“There's blood on my hands, from what you made me do.”

“I'm not threatening you mate, it's beyond fucking words - I watched over you when you were asleep and I looked at your fucking neck and I was that far away from slicing it.”

“I'd gather them goonies and get whatever you've got coming, mate... 'cause I'm gonna fucking hit you all.”

“You're fucking there mate!”

HAND.jpeg

Then there's Sonny's line to Richard:

“Do you always paint men? Like women? What are you doing, lad?”

Edit: Cheers keybored

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom