Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Wright

He's genuinely one of my favorite ever players, and people. Even though I was a fan of Manchester United as a kid, I couldn't help but admire when he came on as a sub for Palace in the 1990 FA Cup Final and forced the replay with two goals.

Also worth a watch it this. Ian Wright: Nothing to Something. I actually had tears. He had it hard growing up, and again when he lost David Rocastle.

Searched for a thread but only found ones slagging him off :( I am a fan of Wrighty as a footballer and as a person.

View attachment 267836

Just watching his documentary (Home Truths) and is really hard to watch but brilliant. Well worth a watch if you are of a mind.

Yes I really want to watch this but will have to gear myself up.

Loved him as a player , passionate :cool:

Remember seeing him recently being interviewed about a teacher who inspired him . The Teacher was actually behind him as he praised him , then he saw him , he said "I thought you were dead ' then burst into tears, I may have had some #mantears at that moment.

My friend is a huge fan of his. I hadn't realised, but he's the reason that she (and subsequently her whole family :D ) supports Arsenal!

I was saying to her the other day while we were talking about his BBC piece with Shearer about the racism he experiences, I'd kind of always pigeonholed Wright as "enthusiastic, passionate goofball" based on his appearances on football coverage. Hearing him talk on more serious subjects, though, through stuff like the video with Shearer but lots of other stuff too, has made me realise there's a lot more to him.

He's got some really interesting insights that he speaks about refreshingly openly, but also... I dunno, articulately but also quite simply/plainly, if that makes sense? Ironically, the word for that is escaping me :facepalm: :oops:

Aside from all that, he just seems like a really genuine and decent guy.

He grew up in Honor Oak where i lived for 20 years which makes me like him a lot too
The Arsenal squads of his era were very likeable I think - I say that as a spurs fan too
Like his willingness to show emotion on camera and confronting of racism, not without taking flak for his troubles
Searched for a thread but only found ones slagging him off
hah urban

He was one of the very first footballers to speak out against racism, as I remember, back at a time when nobody in football was speaking out and wankers like Ron Noades could be openly racist.

Jaw-dropping revisiting what Noades said back in 1991. A long way to go still, but we have come some way in the last 30 years.

Always love him for having it large with United's goalie who allegedly used racial abuse against him that game

And his heroics in Turin 1998

he votes Tory?
Used to, at least. He said this a few years back when he was 43:

My family voted Labour. As I got older I liked Margaret Thatcher because she is a strong woman, like my mum. Also, in terms of the money I earned, Thatcher let me keep a lot more.

If I was in charge I'd clamp down on immigration right now. I'd bring back the birch. I'd bring back military service. Most of all I'd get these guns off the street. These kids aren't making them at home. Someone is letting them in.

Used to, at least. He said this a few years back when he was 43:

My family voted Labour. As I got older I liked Margaret Thatcher because she is a strong woman, like my mum. Also, in terms of the money I earned, Thatcher let me keep a lot more.

If I was in charge I'd clamp down on immigration right now. I'd bring back the birch. I'd bring back military service. Most of all I'd get these guns off the street. These kids aren't making them at home. Someone is letting them in.

offs

People say stupid things. Doesn't mean they're immune to pain. If I cut off everyone who had said something stupid, or likewise cut off everyone who'd a different worldview to me, I'd probably be living the life of a hermit.

People say stupid things. Doesn't mean they're immune to pain. If I cut off everyone who had said something stupid, or likewise cut off everyone who'd a different worldview to me, I'd probably be living the life of a hermit.

bollock me if I'm wrong, but I think growing up as Black British and feeling like you might have anything or/and everything taken from you at a moments notice might nudge you over to that Thatcherite rhetoric

Loved him as a player , passionate :cool:

Remember seeing him recently being interviewed about a teacher who inspired him . The Teacher was actually behind him as he praised him , then he saw him , he said "I thought you were dead ' then burst into tears, I may have had some #mantears at that moment.
Put a tear or two in my eye too.

Lovely genuine bloke & a great player to boot.

One of the best Desert Island Discs in recent years.

I watched him play when he was at Palace once or twice, I was just old enough to go. Never knew why he left in 1991 after Palace had finished third in the old first division. Ron Noades what a cunt.

South London lad and as said above a decent and genuine guy. On DID he was also willing to own up to when he’d been wrong in the past - which takes class.

One of the best Desert Island Discs in recent years.

I watched him play when he was at Palace once or twice, I was just old enough to go. Never knew why he left in 1991 after Palace had finished third in the old first division. Ron Noades what a cunt.

South London lad and as said above a decent and genuine guy. On DID he was also willing to own up to when he’d been wrong in the past - which takes class.
Aye, this was one of the things that change my perception of him that I referred to upthread. I don't routinely listen to DID, but again, my friend suggested I give it a listen and was really glad I did.

Shame to read the stuff he said in the Guardian about Thatcher and immigrants. Would be interesting to see where his thoughts on both are now, but as ever, people are complicated, and you can admire them for some things while passionately disagreeing with them on others.
Never knew why he left in 1991 after Palace had finished third in the old first division. Ron Noades what a cunt.
Yeah, I quickly looked into what Noades said (only so far as reading his Wiki entry) after it was mentioned in the thread, just so shitty.

How controversial was it at the time? I'm not sure on how mainstream/acceptable that kind of thinking would be considered back then?

<e2a: sorry, just for clarity, that's more a general question to the thread rather than for you specifically, Elpenor :oops: :D >

Aye, this was one of the things that change my perception of him that I referred to upthread. I don't routinely listen to DID, but again, my friend suggested I give it a listen and was really glad I did.

Shame to read the stuff he said in the Guardian about Thatcher and immigrants. Would be interesting to see where his thoughts on both are now, but as ever, people are complicated, and you can admire them for some things while passionately disagreeing with them on others.
Yeah, I quickly looked into what Noades said (only so far as reading his Wiki entry) after it was mentioned in the thread, just so shitty.

How controversial was it at the time? I'm not sure on how mainstream/acceptable that kind of thinking would be considered back then?

<e2a: sorry, just for clarity, that's more a general question to the thread rather than for you specifically, Elpenor :oops: :D >
It was good business for Palace, record fee (2.5m) and for Wrighty a chance to join a bigger club and win stuff (which he did). I don't remember it being that controversial, other than big club spending loadsa money . Probably controversial for Palace fans at the time.

Wright left immediately, and iirc it was no secret why he had left. From what I remember, Noades' comments didn't pass without any criticism, but he wasn't forced to resign or anything. Clearly he didn't think he was saying anything wrong when he said it.

Back
Top Bottom