Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"I monitor my staff with software that takes screenshots"

I have to say that, if you are running an organisation and feel the need to put this kind of monitoring in place, it doesn't say an awful lot for your recruitment/hiring procedures. It should be possible to run a workplace on a reasonable balance between management oversight and that quaint old-fashioned thing they used to call "trust".

My main problem in the organisation I have the pleasure to direct is getting the bloody staff to stop working :hmm:

But really, your employee works ten hours and you begrudge them give or ten minutes looking at the news for a break?

I don't think anyone's looking to whack people for a few minutes looking at the news but some people do take the piss. We had a new mum-to-be who spent half her working days on the Baby Gap website, and a fella who was running an unofficial pop band website from the office.

More working from home is going to mean different work practices all round. This guy is clearly a git but employers micro managing and employees skiving are going to be issues needing to be worked out. People working from home presumably have the same legal and contractual rights as those in the office? And productivity, targets and team work are a better measure of success for employers than getting paranoid about watching that their employee is glued to the keyboard every second.

I don't think anyone's looking to whack people for a few minutes looking at the news but some people do take the piss. We had a new mum-to-be who spent half her working days on the Baby Gap website, and a fella who was running an unofficial pop band website from the office.

Do people still use their work computers for internet messing? I mostly use my smartphone for that these days ;)

nah, go into device manager, disable the thing. so when the boss gets a heart attack you can prove to them on the phone that the camera lense is open, honest.

Sadly you're probably locked out of changing things in device manager on a work pc.
Do people still use their work computers for internet messing? I mostly use my smartphone for that these days ;)

And if you're working from home, your employer can't block or log anything. Which is a benefit to them really as anything dodge you might do is on your own account.

I'm off work this week so am not getting the usual legal newsletters, but this is the type of question they sometimes consider. All I saw yesterday was if you want to introduce such systems, you have to tell people before you do so, be clear about what is being retained, why and for how long, and under gdpr if people opt out then you might not be able to keep any data anyway.

The subtext was definitely 'don't touch this with a bargepole'.

Back
Top Bottom