Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"I monitor my staff with software that takes screenshots"

Another company called Sneek offers technology that takes photos of workers through their laptop and uploads them for colleagues to see.

Photos can be taken as often as every minute, although the firm describes itself as a communication platform and says "everyone on the app has the same experience whether they are an employer or an employee".

That's nice, so all the employees can spy on the boss too :thumbs:

Sounds dodgy as hell - especially taking photos as that has a high chance of capturing other people in the employee's household. Doubt there would be any legal justification for invading privacy for that, along with all the other problems inherent in spying in employees.

Sounds dodgy as hell - especially taking photos as that has a high chance of capturing other people in the employee's household. Doubt there would be any legal justification for invading privacy for that, along with all the other problems inherent in spying in employees.
There's the data protection compliance aspects and the privacy aspects that I can think of off the top of my head. No reputable company is going to do this, because of the headaches it potentially causes. My glorious former employer would love this, I bet, given they were already logging what webpages were being accessed during working hours.

But really, your employee works ten hours and you begrudge them give or ten minutes looking at the news for a break?

Get. To. Fuck.

In the past, I've had the luxury of being able to walk away from cunty employers. To some extent, being self-employed, I no longer have that ability.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be stuck in a place which does something like this, without the option of a "fuck you" departure. I'd probably end up arsing around with it, and/or finding ways to spoof the system, and would probably end up being invited to leave.

First draft spoofing - record a video loop with me staring around the screen, locate it in front of the "monitored" machine's camera, and let it get on with it.

In the past, I've had the luxury of being able to walk away from cunty employers. To some extent, being self-employed, I no longer have that ability.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be stuck in a place which does something like this, without the option of a "fuck you" departure. I'd probably end up arsing around with it, and/or finding ways to spoof the system, and would probably end up being invited to leave.

First draft spoofing - record a video loop with me staring around the screen, locate it in front of the "monitored" machine's camera, and let it get on with it.
An ex employer put 'security' cameras in an area where four of us were working. He didn't even try to disguise the fact they were there to spy on us, he came down one morning and told us that security was just an added bonus, that he'd be using them to make sure we were working and didn't spend 5 minutes too long on a break.
We decided we weren't having it, so one by one, the cameras kept getting accidentally damaged by low-flying hammers and such. It took about six months before he removed them, and a further month before three of us walked out and got a job at a rival company.

My cousin has worked from home in IT under these conditions for several years. If he wants a break/do child care/look at non work stuff he has to clock out. Whilst at work he is monitored with screenshots. He's happy with arrangement, prefers it to working in an office,

I worked five years in a place where there were not only cameras and mics in the room but a manager who would randomly watch and listen and phone up to tell you you were wrong about what you just said or did. Tbf they weren't arsed about a bit of Internet or whatever if it was quiet but they were still cunts and it was horrible.

Current workplace put cameras all over the place when thet started. We could understand them outside but inside was a whole other ball game. Then they started using footage as a way to check staff.
We used walk past the camera and give them the finger.
It all came to a head when there was a serious incident and the footage was requested and lawyers got involved.
Most of the cameras are now gone/not working..
Boss is still a prick.

Last edited:
Actually just remembered an old boss at my work (long since left) tried installing some software like this called "work examiner" on all our pc's about 10 years ago. It kept making our crappy old pc's crash as they didn't have enough memory etc to run it!

Back
Top Bottom