Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I like my World Cup football like the audition stages for Britain's Got Talent

editor

hiraethified
I've realised that I've enjoyed the early stages far more than the later games, mainly because you see more surprises in the group stages - a bit like the auditions for Britain's Got Talent.

Anyone agree?

Yeah it has gone a bit dull, I agree. I'm still enjoying it but there were so many dramatic games early on.

RIP Sexy Football, hello
5644379_orig.jpg

What these knockout stages are missing is the free-flowing, scoring-for-fun style of play that England bring to a tournament.

I was really enjoying it in the beginning; now I tend to have the game on in the background while I'm doing something on the computer.

I wish I had a better understanding and vocabulary with regards to the game. On the surface, it looks like they're doing the same thing in these most recent games as before, but somehow, it seems that they aren't. Something is different, but I don't have the facility to explain it.

It's interesting to see how may posts each game attracts.

Argentina vs Belgium got 32, USA vs Belgium 257.

A question for the World Cup vets: in other years, has the initial excitement level been sustained throughout the whole tournament? Given the large number of games packed into a relatively short period, possibly a bit of the doldrums in the middle might be a normal thing?

A question for the World Cup vets: in other years, has the initial excitement level been sustained throughout the whole tournament? Given the large number of games packed into a relatively short period, possibly a bit of the doldrums in the middle might be a normal thing?

In general, I think tournaments dial down the intensity towards the end. Teams tend to play a bit more conservatively, players are a bit more tired etc

It's like this every time. Most World Cups are fairly dull. As is most international football actually.

The way the tournament is now is just like every other, but the opening group stages still elevate this above any WC I've seen.

The way the tournament is now is just like every other, but the opening group stages still elevate this above any WC I've seen.
Yup, pretty much sums it up. Trajectory has generally been the same as most World Cups - except 2010, which I don't think ever got going... - but the (entertainment) standard was much higher in the group stages this year.

One would think that the playing conditions - 90 degree heat with 80% humidity - would begin to take a toll on the players, also.

Back
Top Bottom