Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of Post Office workers ‘vindicated’ by High Court ruling over faulty Post Office IT system

Dandruff was a regular feature of the 80's teacher. Our geography one was the head's wife, she had a wooden leg and rumour had it that she once farted in a lesson and everyone heard the leg vibrate.

Enough derail though.

It is a fact that having smelly breath is on the Geography teacher's job description though.

My Geography (and O'level Surveying) teacher bucked the trend a bit.

Whilst I can't speak for his breath; he was (openly) going out with one of the girls in our upper 6th. He would have been early/mid-20s at the time, I reckon. That would have been about 1981/1982, and I believe they were married soon after.

How times change.

Last edited:
My Geography (and O'level Surveying) teacher bucked the trend a bit.

Whilst I can't speak for his breath, he was (openly) going out with one of the girls in our upper 6th. He would have been early/mid-20s at the time, I reckon. That would have been about 1981/1982, and I believe they were married soon after.

How times change.

I have a VERY similar story. Just change to 79/80, English teacher and she was 15. And everyone knew.

And they stayed married. But yes, different thread etc.

. Still, I take cheer that he must be dead by now, he had some weird illness that meant his hair looked like a chess board, why do so many teachers have these physical ailments that kids can fixate on?
More Skool Daze:

I'd forgotten all this, it was so long ago, but I was pretty much the destroyer god when it came to our teachers: The class teacher who punched me at junior school - dead within 5 years. Another one at secondary school, who tried to get me to grass the rest of the lads up who had been involved in a minor revolt - dead within 12 months. Just thought I'd let you all know in case you have any plans to be less than supportive with regard to my posts. ;)

Oh, yes, back to wor Paula...

The only teacher I ever liked was a head and died soon after me leaving, broken heart most likely. He kept trying to get me to go with him to watch his beloved Fulham, not wanting to get nonced I pretended to like Chelsea to keep him away from me. He was nice though, gave me a chance after I'd been expelled from my previous school and defended me against all the grassing teachers who pretended to give a fuck about me smoking.

Back to Vennells though. I seem to be obsessing about Seema Misra, her story brings me to tears on a regular basis. There's >500 stories of heartbreak caused by Vennells and her gang, too many to get attached to, so am focusing on one, a woman who's local to me. Her and her husband moved to the UK from India, the UK asked that they work hard and be productive and they did everything asked of them. Got to a point where they could buy the franchise for a post office, husband running a taxi firm on the side, both endeavors are bloody hard work. They bought a buy-to-let (not the most popular thing here, but it's what they were encouraged to do by the state). They came here, worked their arses off, did every single thing that was asked of them and Seema was sent to a Cat A prison on her son's 10th birthday whilst she was pregnant, her business taken from her, the buy-to-let taken from them to repay the non-existent debt, the taxi firm died as husband couldn't run that and look after the child whilst she was in nick. All cos of Vennells and her gang of thieving fuckers.

Angry as hell.

More Skool Daze:

I'd forgotten all this, it was so long ago, but I was pretty much the destroyer god when it came to our teachers: The class teacher who punched me at junior school - dead within 5 years. Another one at secondary school, who tried to get me to grass the rest of the lads up who had been involved in a minor revolt - dead within 12 months. Just thought I'd let you all know in case you have any plans to be less than supportive with regard to my posts. ;)

Oh, yes, back to wor Paula...
I attacked a PE teacher for taking the piss out of my surname, and gave a decent enough account of myself, despite my fighting technique being, essentially, "grab opponent in bearhug, and throw both of us to floor". He recovered well. There were No Consequences.

I wonder if these types view the public shaming as an inevitable 'cost of business' these days. To be expected for 'pushing the envelope'. Maybe they hedge against it by opting for premium payments on their liability insurance for the best PR and legal operators available.

I mean 3 days of shit for 5 million quid plus perks seems like a great deal financially. And their senior executive peers probably admire the way she walks between the legal raindrops without getting wet. Toast her skills with an expensive single malt in a 3 star restaurant. And she's probably not interested in any other opinions.

The news cycle will inevitably move on, her victims will be forgotten and a new lower bar for corporate behaviour will have been set.

Hey fucking ho.

Back to Vennells though. I seem to be obsessing about Seema Misra, her story brings me to tears on a regular basis. There's >500 stories of heartbreak caused by Vennells and her gang, too many to get attached to, so am focusing on one, a woman who's local to me. Her and her husband moved to the UK from India, the UK asked that they work hard and be productive and they did everything asked of them. Got to a point where they could buy the franchise for a post office, husband running a taxi firm on the side, both endeavors are bloody hard work. They bought a buy-to-let (not the most popular thing here, but it's what they were encouraged to do by the state). They came here, worked their arses off, did every single thing that was asked of them and Seema was sent to a Cat A prison on her son's 10th birthday whilst she was pregnant, her business taken from her, the buy-to-let taken from them to repay the non-existent debt, the taxi firm died as husband couldn't run that and look after the child whilst she was in nick. All cos of Vennells and her gang of thieving fuckers.

Angry as hell.
There is no money that will adequately make up for this. No apology, nothing imaginable, will remove the hurt caused to these people by the Post Office. No government good intentions will remove the stains on their character and damage done to people and their families.

As I watch and read more of the enquiry I find myself increasingly disgusted by what was done and how little conscience those who perpetrated this seem to have.

No matter how guilty they are they'll not be treated the way their victims were, their lives will not be destroyed, they'll continue to live a well off, a comfortable, life.

The rich get pleasure, the poor get the blame. Same as it ever was.

To add to my previous post.

To be charged, prosecuted, found guilty and jailed all while knowing you're innocent must be awful enough. But to go through all this while those prosecuting you know you are innocent, or reasonably believe you could be, is the stuff of nightmares.

I need to turn away from this enquiry because it makes me so angry. But pretending it isn't happening, ignoring the realities of what has been done will only mean others doing similar things will be encouraged to ignore law and morality for their own ends. We've seen this in the last few years of Tory rule. We've seen immorality and dishonesty amongst MPs increase.

We all must stand up and be counted, we must protest ever louder against this.

I don't think it'll stop the onward march of corruption, it might slow it down, it might make the lawmakers think a little more before bending us over and fucking us. Especially if they think they'll have to account for their actions.

To add to my previous post.

To be charged, prosecuted, found guilty and jailed all while knowing you're innocent must be awful enough. But to go through all this while those prosecuting you know you are innocent, or reasonably believe you could be, is the stuff of nightmares.

I need to turn away from this enquiry because it makes me so angry. But pretending it isn't happening, ignoring the realities of what has been done will only mean others doing similar things will be encouraged to ignore law and morality for their own ends. We've seen this in the last few years of Tory rule. We've seen immorality and dishonesty amongst MPs increase.

We all must stand up and be counted, we must protest ever louder against this.

I don't think it'll stop the onward march of corruption, it might slow it down, it might make the lawmakers think a little more before bending us over and fucking us. Especially if they think they'll have to account for their actions.
FWIW (not much) I suggested a few possible consequences to disincentivise these cunts on YouTube comment threads. Jocular comments involving lampposts and guillotines. Because legit legal avenues don't seem to be working. They all got deleted and fast. I really did frame them in humorous ways but you can't even make jokes about that. Even if I wasn't really joking.

I wonder if these types view the public shaming as an inevitable 'cost of business' these days. To be expected for 'pushing the envelope'. Maybe they hedge against it by opting for premium payments on their liability insurance for the best PR and legal operators available.

I mean 3 days of shit for 5 million quid plus perks seems like a great deal financially. And their senior executive peers probably admire the way she walks between the legal raindrops without getting wet. Toast her skills with an expensive single malt in a 3 star restaurant. And she's probably not interested in any other opinions.

The news cycle will inevitably move on, her victims will be forgotten and a new lower bar for corporate behaviour will have been set.

Hey fucking ho.
I'm not sure it's a "cost of doing business" to them - I suspect that Vennells is genuinely hating every moment of this (and bloody rightly so). I don't think she's such a good actor that she can be putting it on, and her manner is more misery than contrition.

I've met a handful of these sorts of people, and status and reputation is IMPORTANT to them. In Vennells' case, it's a kind of moral status, which makes it even worse - if she was just a pure business person, then yeah, there's a certain amount of shrugging and "ah well, there you go" can go on. But she's a licensed priest, FFS, and expectations on people like that are higher, no matter how unjustified. This is, almost literally, a fall from grace.

And she has to be seen to be paying a heavy price. She SHOULD be in prison, although I do wonder whether that might just enhance the martyred line she seems to be pursuing. She SHOULD be pilloried in the street. She SHOULD find it impossible to ever do any kind of job that relied upon integrity, morality, honesty or decent management.

If she doesn't get imprisoned (spoiler alert: she won't), she'd do well to do a Profumo and just quietly go and dedicate her life to good causes. Ideally without any kind of decision-making power over anyone else's lives, ever again.

I'm not sure it's a "cost of doing business" to them - I suspect that Vennells is genuinely hating every moment of this (and bloody rightly so). I don't think she's such a good actor that she can be putting it on, and her manner is more misery than contrition.

I've met a handful of these sorts of people, and status and reputation is IMPORTANT to them. In Vennells' case, it's a kind of moral status, which makes it even worse - if she was just a pure business person, then yeah, there's a certain amount of shrugging and "ah well, there you go" can go on. But she's a licensed priest, FFS, and expectations on people like that are higher, no matter how unjustified. This is, almost literally, a fall from grace.

And she has to be seen to be paying a heavy price. She SHOULD be in prison, although I do wonder whether that might just enhance the martyred line she seems to be pursuing. She SHOULD be pilloried in the street. She SHOULD find it impossible to ever do any kind of job that relied upon integrity, morality, honesty or decent management.

If she doesn't get imprisoned (spoiler alert: she won't), she'd do well to do a Profumo and just quietly go and dedicate her life to good causes. Ideally without any kind of decision-making power over anyone else's lives, ever again.

I'm no legal expert. But if I lied to court under oath, that's perjury right? And I'd be sanctioned in some way for doing so? It's been proven she's done that to the select committee, by her own admission. And I'm sure during this inquiry countless times (Beer and his team are probably sifting through everything now to isolate the lies)

So why can't she be charged? I would be.

I'm no legal expert. But if I lied to court under oath, that's perjury right? And I'd be sanctioned in some way for doing so? It's been proven she's done that to the select committee, by her own admission. And I'm sure during this inquiry countless times (Beer and his team are probably sifting through everything now to isolate the lies)

It's all this 'I don't recall' shit. Can't be proven as a lie in the same way 'I didn't do that' can be.

The lying to parliament thing looks pretty bang to rights to me though.

What's the next step in this anyway? Are all those people she named and shamed going to be called? This Chair in particular?

I'm unemployed right now and this schadenfreude has been filling some of my hours. I want a bit of the Beer/Stein show please.

CPS would have to make the decision that charging her would be in the public interest. Then she's got to be convicted. Then the sentence has to be appropriate (ie., custodial).

I just don't think she's going to end up in chokey. I'm doubtful that she'd even end up with a conviction.

I just wrote out some pointless speculation about what any charges might be, but found this which says it better (and that we'll be waiting at least 2 years to find out).

"At the core of the issue you've potentially got fraud in terms of false documents if it's for financial purposes, and you've potentially got perverting the course of justice if people have deliberately set in train evidence into a legal process, which they know is false. That would be perverting the course of justice,"

And this suggests Warwick Tatford (barrister) and Gareth Jenkins are the ones most in the firing line. Is Jenkins the one who has done a runner?

I just wrote out some pointless speculation about what any charges might be, but found this which says it better (and that we'll be waiting at least 2 years to find out).

And this suggests Warwick Tatford (barrister) and Gareth Jenkins are the ones most in the firing line. Is Jenkins the one who has done a runner?

She admitted that it was her decision to remove from the prospectus issued prior to floating Royal Mail, any reference to Horizon bugs, and when she succeeded in getting the reference removed, she emailed a colleague, and said "I've earned my keep on this one".
Royal Mail wouldn't/couldn't have been floated if people were aware of the bugs and possible appeals from those wrongly convicted, and what she did was absolutely illegal. Anyone else would do time for it, but I won't hold my breath, as she speaks with the correct amount of plums in her mouth.

She admitted that it was her decision to remove from the prospectus issued prior to floating Royal Mail, any reference to Horizon bugs, and when she succeeded in getting the reference removed, she emailed a colleague, and said "I've earned my keep on this one".
Royal Mail wouldn't/couldn't have been floated if people were aware of the bugs and possible appeals from those wrongly convicted
, and what she did was absolutely illegal. Anyone else would do time for it, but I won't hold my breath, as she speaks with the correct amount of plums in her mouth.
Well, I agree with you, of course about her being at the core of it and deserving prison. But is the stuff underlined actually illegal? It looks like very dodgy corporate behaviour, whereas the actual decisions about prosecutions and not revealing the bugs are the issues likely to interest the police/cps.

I don't see any public prosecutions, tbh, but do wonder if there might be scope for private prosecutions by victims way down the line. Hard to tell really, could well be after the long experience of things like Hillsborough that even a Starmer government pushes for prosecutions. Won't hold by breath though.

In her case (with the priest stuff) you're probably right. But I do think that level of cynicism does exist.

It's anger on my part talking. The only Shakespeare play I really remember and studied from school (many years ago!) was King Lear. I feel my impotent rage against the storm. Frustrating.

Well, I agree with you, of course about her being at the core of it and deserving prison. But is the stuff underlined actually illegal? It looks like very dodgy corporate behaviour, whereas the actual decisions about prosecutions and not revealing the bugs are the issues likely to interest the police/cps.
I'm pretty sure i's a criminal offence to tell porkies or to omit to disclose required information in a prospectus. I'm also fairly certain the information she chose to omit would fall into that category.

I'm pretty sure i's a criminal offence to tell porkies or to omit to disclose required information in a prospectus. I'm also fairly certain the information she chose to omit would fall into that category.
And worse, it's not a crime against insignificant "little people" like sub-postmasters and mistresses. It's an offence against CAPITAL.

I reckon, if she gets seriously busted for anything, it'll be that.

379183041__.jpg

The moment that Paula Vennells realised that the revelation that she had arranged for the removal of material information from the Listing Prospectus for Royal Mail (for which all the directors of that company were legally responsible, and for which she had internally claimed credit in order to increase her own bonus) had been exposed to the entire world and that her game was, finally, up.

Vennells: here is a person who has lied under oath, omitted evidence, distracted investigations, hidden evidence and deliberately ignored what is obvious, all in the cause of protecting Royal Mail's and the Post Office's commercial interests, alongside her own personal position. She did this actively, even aggressively, knowingly and in a thoroughly calculated manner. She also did all of this with a complete disregard for what it would do to the women, the men and the children whose lives it would wreck.

Her actions resulted in hundreds of people's loss of livelihood, loss of savings, loss of homes, loss of liberty, loss of reputation and loss of life. If she'd done one hundredth of this awful hurt, this terrible damage, this theft by hitting someone over the head and robbing them, there would be no question of prison being the right place for her. Just because she used, bits of paper, emails, texts, WhatsApp messages and mealey mouthed words, doesn't make her any less viscous, harmful, selfish or guilty. Bang her up.

Definitely not cheers - Louis MacNeice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom