Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How was your cycle commute?

ChrisFilter

Like a boss.
Commute ranting is so big, and cycle commutes can be brilliant, so I thought I'd start a new thread for those of us who cycle to work.

Today? I got the train. Puncture yesterday. Terrible road surface at Tulse Hill as you come from West Norwood through to the South Circular. Saw a pot hole late and had to cover over it. Hit the back wheel hard enough to give me an instant flat.

Luckily I used to live there, so wheeled it to a mate's who stored my bike at his, then drove me to HH station. Result!

Apart from that, I only started cycling to work again the week before last and I'm lovin every minute of it. Interestly I find I'm enjoying the 12 mile commute more than I used to enjoy my 7 and 4 mile commutes. Feels like a proper distance, and I'm pacing myself a bit more rather than sprinting all the way.

South Norwood hill is a nice warm up in the morning. Had to walk up the first couple of times, but now I can manage it ok. Same with Knight's Hill on the way home. That is a bit of a struggle considering I'm carrying about 2 stone in excess weight, plus a heavy bag. Improving each cycle though.

All in all, really enjoying it and getting fit far quicker than expected.

How was/is your cycle commute?

I got the tube today b'cos it was pouring with rain when i got up.
Really really wish i'd taken my bike now.

This week, cycling in has been fantastic. The temperature is perfect and it feels like such a treat after endless weeks of being absoultely frozen.

My bike feels a little battered and bruised at the moment though. All the recent weather has been bad for it :(

I didn't cycle in today. Didn't want to ruin my beautiful locks.
And I hate walking around with a wet arse.

It was a snow storm this morning. Bit slippery but chucked a hat, some gloves and waterproofs over my suit.
The snow came down faster than they could clear the cycle lanes and it felt a bit sketchy on a fixie with skinny tires. Didn't put my feet down once.

I got the tube today b'cos it was pouring with rain when i got up. Really really wish i'd taken my bike now.
Aye, I got the bus because it was pissing down where I live... then 10 mins down the road it was dry :mad:

The roads are a lot shitter after the cold weather aren't they? Seem to be loads more potholes and general bumpiness. Had to gaffa tape my mudguard back together after it snapped when I hit a hole on Monday :rolleyes:

Fuck off, fairweather cyclist... one day not cycling in doesn't mean I don't most days :rolleyes:

Just because I don't drive everyday doesn't mean I'm not a driver :confused:

What about your hair? Underwear? Socks?
My bag is full when I'm cycling and weighs a ton already.
And I like going fast.

I have a shower when I get to work and I change my clothes - my socks don't tend to get wet though, just my arse.

hmm i don't get it. I am guessing a commute in london must be harder work. I never have a sweat on and I am wearing a suit and waterproofs (if applicable). In the summer a shirt and trousers. I shower before I leave for work.

hmm i don't get it. I am guessing a commute in london must be harder work. I never have a sweat on and I am wearing a suit and waterproofs (if applicable). In the summer a shirt and trousers. I shower before I leave for work.

Not really. It takes me 20 minutes to cycle from Streatham Hill to Victoria.
The problem is that I sprint-cycle on high gears and sweat loads.
And in work, I have to wear a smart suit and look the part - typical corporate environment bollocks.

Wished I had a shower place in here :(

Fell off my bike when going too fast around a corner a few days ago. Broke thumb and generally bruised. Being forced to do my 18 mile round trip in borrowed car until I recover. I find commuting by car generally rubbish. It's not any quicker in the car and I really miss getting my twice daily dose of exercise. I'm also missing the glowing feel I get when I reach my destination -I don't feel feel I've left my working day behind when I get home and can feel restless through lack of exercise. I'm also a fair bit worse off after paying for fuel etc.

Hopefully next week I'll be well enough to ride again - what ever the weather.

Waterproofs over a suit... that must make you sweat?

Round about 15 - 20 mph. Not hard. But it's a light fixed wheel and no traffic other than other cyclists to contend with. Most of the time I keep a suit a work and wear jeans and shirt and tie with a jacket over the top. I just don't sweat doing it.

Round about 15 - 20 mph. Not hard. But it's a light fixed wheel and no traffic other than other cyclists to contend with. Most of the time I keep a suit a work and wear jeans and shirt and tie with a jacket over the top. I just don't sweat doing it.

Maybe you're fitter than me - I have a spare tire round my waist and I try to keep above 20mph where it's safe to do so as I feel like I've wasted my commute if I don't get sweaty and out-of-breath

I'm also missing the glowing feel I get when I reach my destination -I don't feel feel I've left my working day behind when I get home and can feel restless through lack of exercise. .

Yeah, this is true for me too. If i don't cycle in, i have to go to the gym or something after work, otherwise i can't sleep and just feel horrible.
I like that feeling of hunger you get after cycling into work aswell - it makes food taste so good!

got the bus today as i managed to finally mangle back wheel into snapping whilst crossing a main road on way back last night! :mad:
already missing it and can't cycle to bike shop to look for new bike under 'cycle to work scheme' so will have to borrow a bloody car :mad:
need my new bike quick!

Back
Top Bottom