Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How does IMDB work regarding actor bios and images?

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I’m aware that as far as film trivia and reviews go, IMDB seems to rely chiefly on reader-provided content. Which I guess is fair enough, and not far from all the Wiki sites.

But I’ve often wondered why so many actors’ profiles have very few, and sometimes none at all, images uploaded to their profile page. Ditto even a basic biography. I looked this up yesterday, and if I understood it correctly, IMDB apparently charges actors to upload photos of themselves to their profile page.

I could perhaps understand that business model at the very inception of the website, but given that it has grown to become the go-to online resource for film and TV queries, undoubtedly enjoy insane amount of internet traffic, and nowadays the site is plastered with adverts from the major players in the industry, their financing must surely be more than taken care of. Yet you still see plenty of supporting role actors with a handful of images or none at all. Surely they are not still charging actors (or members of the public for that matter) for the right to upload pics to their profile page?

More likely only going for actors who have copyright free info.
If what I read is accurate, it seems not just pointless and petty but counterproductive to IMDB’s interests. A lot of the actors with no images attached to their profile are very much active, and even if they themselves can’t be arsed to add images to their profile page, it’d be monumentally stupid for IMDB to monetise the right to add bio information.

I‘ve lost count of the times I’m really enjoying a brand new TV series, and often one that has become a vital hit, and yet the IMDB page for the series lacks something as basic as an image for some of the main cast. Which caused me to leave their site/ app, and go elsewhere on the internet to find out more about the actor in question. I’m sure I’m far from the only one, so they must be losing on a significant amount of traffic- which as a site that depends on clicks for revenue, is blatantly shortsighted.

Back
Top Bottom