Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do I do this CV?

Cloo

Approved by toads
Right, having to look for new jobs (including internal) as my role is at risk of redundancy. My current role was a slight pivot from my last role (from editing > content management) and although more money, is less autonomous than my last role and I've only been at it 18 months unlike 9 years at my last role. So I don't really have big 'achievements' to crow about from this job as much as my last.

My last few CVs have been:

• Bullet-list profile summarising key skills and knowledge (3-4 points)
  • Summary statement about me
  • Chronological list of roles, with achievements highlighted for the most recent one, followed by a list of skills; older jobs are more a short paragraph summarising sorts of tasks I did in those jobs.
  • Professional training I've done
  • Degree/post grad education

But when in many ways I have more to say about my previous role, that's going to seem kind of unbalanced, particularly when applying for an internal role. But I'm not sure how I might (or if I should) 'open' with an achievement list combining last few roles, or lead with skills and somehow also make that about what I achieved with them. Just having typed that it sort of feels like that might be the way to go forward. Something like:

• Skill X - I achieved this thing [job agnostic but may have to give some context]
Would that work?

Right, having to look for new jobs (including internal) as my role is at risk of redundancy. My current role was a slight pivot from my last role (from editing > content management) and although more money, is less autonomous than my last role and I've only been at it 18 months unlike 9 years at my last role. So I don't really have big 'achievements' to crow about from this job as much as my last.

• Chronological list of roles, with achievements highlighted for the most recent one, followed by a list of skills; older jobs are more a short paragraph summarising sorts of tasks I did in those jobs.

But when in many ways I have more to say about my previous role, that's going to seem kind of unbalanced, particularly when applying for an internal role. But I'm not sure how I might (or if I should) 'open' with an achievement list combining last few roles, or lead with skills and somehow also make that about what I achieved with them. Just having typed that it sort of feels like that might be the way to go forward. Something like:

• Skill X - I achieved this thing [job agnostic but may have to give some context]
Would that work?
the thing with internal jobs is you really have to convey what work you do, even if they know what you do, as they can only take into consideration what you tell them. it's far harder applying internally ime than to a new workplace. use the star thing when talking about stuff like skill x - situation, task, action, result (https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/wp-conte...17/12/How-to-use-STAR-in-your-application.pdf pdf about it). much of this might perhaps better go in the covering letter than on the cv, the letter can make reference to your cv - 'as you'll see' etc. rather than skills perhaps have a section about achievements in your current post which can reference your skills.

good luck!

the thing with internal jobs is you really have to convey what work you do, even if they know what you do, as they can only take into consideration what you tell them. it's far harder applying internally ime than to a new workplace. use the star thing when talking about stuff like skill x - situation, task, action, result (https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/wp-conte...17/12/How-to-use-STAR-in-your-application.pdf pdf about it). much of this might perhaps better go in the covering letter than on the cv, the letter can make reference to your cv - 'as you'll see' etc. rather than skills perhaps have a section about achievements in your current post which can reference your skills.

good luck!
Classical example of this is someone who is say an ambulance driver, applying for an internal job as a blue light driving trainer, not putting on the CV that they have a full UK driving licence and are qualified to drive on blue lights and thus not getting shortlisted.

Would that work?
I would combine them in the way you said.

Short intro with personal details.

Key skills - don't mentioned which jobs, just the skills

Job history with responsibilities listed

Then as Pickman's says, flesh this out in the covering letter, not the CV. When I worked at X I did Y which made big boss man Z money.

No one cares about the fact that you made boss man money 5 years ago or 5 months ago - at long as you make them money in the same way.

I would combine them in the way you said.

Short intro with personal details.

Key skills - don't mentioned which jobs, just the skills

Job history with responsibilities listed

Then as Pickman's says, flesh this out in the covering letter, not the CV. When I worked at X I did Y which made big boss man Z money.

No one cares about the fact that you made boss man money 5 years ago or 5 months ago - at long as you make them money in the same way.
Also, addressing the point about lack of big achievements in the current role compared to previously - make that your selling point. you have previously made a big impact, as your CV/covering letter show, but the current role is underutilising you. You could do much more in the next role and they would benefit from having you.

I suppose my main difficulty is that I know, especially for the internal one, they're most likely to just look at my current role, so I either have to put skills/achievement somehow above that or get as much in under current as possible role. I'm still pretty happy with my short summaries at the top, so think I can keep them.

Some people seem to deal with this by having skills in a separate column/box down one side, so there's less 'competition' on the page about rank, which is another way, although I'm not great with doing that kind of thing in Word.

I think I'm also at the stage of my career where presume I don't have to give any details of my first two, short, junior jobs other than what, where and when, just to stop the whole thing getting too long, and they're not especially relevant any more.

I work on the basis that a year or two of temporary jobs after redundancy (about 12 years ago) and few years of crappy jobs after i left school (longer ago than i care to admit) can be summarised with a sentence or two rather than listing them in as much detail as 'proper' jobs.

Some employers specifically ask for the last 10 years' (or whatever) employment history.

There's been one or two odd occasions where I've wanted to use one of the temporary jobs as a selling point, in which case I'll adjust the CV slightly for that application.

I suppose my main difficulty is that I know, especially for the internal one, they're most likely to just look at my current role, so I either have to put skills/achievement somehow above that or get as much in under current as possible role.

or is that something for the covering letter / personal statement thing?

I'm drafting a CV with a sidebar about skills and I think that might be the solution - it means my key skills as relevant to this role and my current and previous job achievements all fit on the front page, and it seems to look OK.

good luck!
I've fallen foul of this when going for roles internally previously, knowing one or both of the interviewers and thinking 'They know me, they know my experience and my capabilities.'

So if a question came up that specifically referred to experience within the organisation or that particular role, I'd keep my answers brief, thinking they can fill in the gaps. Or if there was a more general question, I'd be tempted to use examples from other jobs, because I was thinking that they knew about my achievements within the organisation.

It was only after a few knock-backs that the whole point scoring system of the SMART interview technique was explained and how they could only go off what you said in the room, they couldn't take into account any prior knowledge they had about you and your work experience.

Tbh, there were 6-7 of us in the same team who were temps/on short-term contracts who went for any permanent job that came up in other departments. We were all good at our jobs, we all got on well with another, so even if I didn't get the job I was genuinely pleased one of my teammates did.

But it was a useful lesson to learn about going for internal roles and treating it like you would as an external applicant, so making sure you outlined all your relevant experience, and not resting on your laurels and thinking 'You know me, gizza job' - although I hadn't been quite that blasé, but in hindsight had sold myself short and hadn't blown my own trumpet hard enough.

I work on the basis that a year or two of temporary jobs after redundancy (about 12 years ago) and few years of crappy jobs after i left school (longer ago than i care to admit) can be summarised with a sentence or two rather than listing them in as much detail as 'proper' jobs.

Some employers specifically ask for the last 10 years' (or whatever) employment history.

There's been one or two odd occasions where I've wanted to use one of the temporary jobs as a selling point, in which case I'll adjust the CV slightly for that application.

or is that something for the covering letter / personal statement thing?
I'd say so, yes. Although potentially include in key skills section/sidebar too.

I tend to pick out the essential skills from the person specification and mention those in the covering letter. So my covering letter tends to be along the lines of.

"Dear [name of recruiter/department head],

Job title - my name

Please find enclosed my CV in application for the above role, as advertised [where]. In summary, I meet your requirements for the role as follows:

* I have five years experience as a widget-maker, including making widgets for Company X.

* While working at Company X, I was promoted to senior widget-maker and my responsibilities included training new starters, interns and junior colleagues, and then providing ongoing feedback and support to enable staff to learn new skills and tasks and continually improve.

* As senior widget-maker, I attended weekly meetings at Company X, as the departmental representative, providing updates on various projects, and then debriefing my team and assigning tasks afterwards, which involved planning, delegating, monitoring progress and ensuring we achieved the required outcomes.

Achievement: I was acting up as assistant manager when my line manager was on annual leave and successfully dealt with this challenge.

* My role as a Something or Other at Company Y required Skills B and C. My team won an internal award for our work on a project beta-testing some new software and reviewing/editing the draft user guidelines, before the portal went live, on schedule.

* While I haven't yet used [software mentioned in person spec/job ad], I am very computer literate and quick to learn, with transferrable skills having used Software X, Software Y and Software Z in my current and previous roles.

[A couple of sentences explaining why you want the role and/or why you want to work for that organisation.]"

It can be tricky if their person specification lists 15-20 essential and desirable skills. In which case, I might go back to the job ad as there might be 3-5 bullet points listing the main responsibilities of the role, in which case, I'd mirror those and tailor bullet points to reflect those rather than the essential/desirable criteria.

However, I'd mirror their language to help get past keyword filters if they use those in shortlisting. So if the person specification said something about preparing presentations using Microsoft 365, I'd mention that specifically, even if I hadn't used it, as in the example above emphasising computer literacy and transferrable skills.

There are lots of job vacancies where candidates don't meet 100 per cent of the criteria, but if an algorithm is going to reject your application because you said presentation software or PowerPoint or Canva rather than Microsoft 365, that's annoying.

In many ways, the recruitment process doesn't necessarily find the best candidate for the job in terms of who would best be able to do the job, but the best candidate in terms of jumping through the hoops in the process, playing buzzword bingo in the application, performing best at interview, neither of which are guarantees that someone will be able to do the job, or do it well.

My manager is giving me some feedback for the CV, and usefully there is actually a very apt communications role open in a different division (I hope I find it still is open tomorrow) that gave me a basis for it.

If I get an interview for this one, as it's more marketing-leaning, I think I'll ask to talk to a marketing colleague to give me a heads-up about marketing-type questions I might eb asked. My manager is planning to phone recruiter and recommend me for role tomorrow so I'm going as her is she can find out which section of the division it is for - I could do the role in any of them, but would be helpful to know what part I'm dealing with.

My manager is giving me some feedback for the CV, and usefully there is actually a very apt communications role open in a different division (I hope I find it still is open tomorrow) that gave me a basis for it.

If I get an interview for this one, as it's more marketing-leaning, I think I'll ask to talk to a marketing colleague to give me a heads-up about marketing-type questions I might eb asked. My manager is planning to phone recruiter and recommend me for role tomorrow so I'm going as her is she can find out which section of the division it is for - I could do the role in any of them, but would be helpful to know what part I'm dealing with.
Yes, I think they like it if you can demonstrate in some way in the interview that you've not just read the job ad, job description and person specification, but also if it's apparent you've done your research, read the website, Googled them and found out what projects they've been working on, what new clients/contracts they might've won, done some research into the wider sector/competitors, and understand how they work/what the challenges are.

Eg, for a PR/account executive role I went for about 18 months ago, I jumped through the first hoop and was asked to do a writing test. I had to write a press release for a venue that was one of the agency's clients in a different city in the NW. So I looked at their website and Googled additional info, plus I actually went there. I was invited for interview. I pointed out that I was prepared to go not just the extra mile for their clients, but also the extra 30 miles.

And then one of the interviewers said something about the company "would soon be coming up to their tenth anniversary in... erm... erm..." and I chipped in "April. Next April, because the company was founded in April 2013." And I saw one of the other panellists smile a little bit.

And I was offered the job. And started. But was sadly let go due to an irreconcilable conflict of interest (it turned out one of their clients was the housing association that owns my flat, and I declared the conflict of interest when I found out on the first day and mentioned that I have complaints lodged with the Housing Ombudsman. They thanked me for my honesty and integrity and professionalism and then let me go at the end of my first week).

I've found that mentioning things in interviews that show you've done research over and above reading the basic job information shows that you're genuinely interested in the role and makes them more likely to hire you.

Blimey that was a turnabout AnnO'Neemus !

I slightly nervously checked in on the internal role today because I'd been worrying what if it had already been offered and was taken down but its still there, I just hope they're not crappy at removing filled roles. It's been open since very end of November but seeing as Christmas was in the middle it's realistic they haven't got that far with recruitment. Manager is going to do some cv tweaks this morning and we'll aim to send it over up recruiting person before lunch

In meantime I've seen quite a nice role advertised at Kew Gardens that's a bit editorial, a bit comms that I'm going to apply for today.

Blimey that was a turnabout AnnO'Neemus !

I slightly nervously checked in on the internal role today because I'd been worrying what if it had already been offered and was taken down but its still there, I just hope they're not crappy at removing filled roles. It's been open since very end of November but seeing as Christmas was in the middle it's realistic they haven't got that far with recruitment. Manager is going to do some cv tweaks this morning and we'll aim to send it over up recruiting person before lunch

In meantime I've seen quite a nice role advertised at Kew Gardens that's a bit editorial, a bit comms that I'm going to apply for today.
I've had some luck messing about with chat gpt for ideas to match cv's to job descriptions. I literally fed it everything I had on me, various cv revisions, few cover letters and the job/person description and asked it to show how I hit each desired and essential criteria and similar queries. Not a perfect result but it did quickly give me a template to work from along with other things I had asked it around reorganising it or changing for different industry/etc.

Manager has submitted my cv for internal role with a very flattering recommendation! Fingers crossed it's still open and they'll interview me.

I'm about to check my application for the Kew role then send - one of those annoying ones where you just have to C&P in bits of your cv, but at least it doesn't do that THEN ask for your cv as well (pretty sure I've seen applications like that). It's about the same money as now but task wise it's now editorial which is more what I enjoy doing. It has to be in tomorrow so I'm not going to try to get it perfect, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get an interview, but it's worth a shot. Would never have considered it if I had to schlep to Kew every day but it looks like it's flexible so I could cope with 2-3 days a week if I had to.

one of those annoying ones where you just have to C&P in bits of your cv, but at least it doesn't do that THEN ask for your cv as well (pretty sure I've seen applications like that).

even more annoying are the ones where you upload your CV first, then it completely scrambles what's on your CV in to an online form that you then have to sort the mess out...

even more annoying are the ones where you upload your CV first, then it completely scrambles what's on your CV in to an online form that you then have to sort the mess out...
I did some apply using your LinkedIn profile things then went and looked at what it had done with it. Uploaded my own after that.

I've sent Kew application, it's not perfect but has to be in tomorrow so I decided I wouldn't drive myself nuts but just send it in. I meet the skills quite well but I suspect they ideally want, and can probably find, someone with more of a charity comes background - worth a go though.

I'll get in touch with some agencies this week as well, they're probably better for contract work than permanent roles but this time around I can countenance that as I've seen enough people doing OK with it, it opens up a lot more stuff and I don't have childcare to contend with any more so can be more flexible.

I was also told today what I get financially if given the heave-ho and it's not bad; I don't get redundancy but they're offering me an extra lump sum so it comes up actually more than I got after 8 years at the last place I was made redundant. And this time I don't have a mortgage or childcare fees, so that goes a lot further.

Back
Top Bottom