Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do I change the temperature on this ruddy thermostat?

editor

hiraethified
The heating stopped working altogether a few weeks back and apparently this was down to the batteries running out in the thermostat control (really). Council bloke came around to replace the batteries but managed to break it so it won;t fit back on the wall, so it's now it's waiting for a replacement.

It's stuck on 15.5C and there's no way to alter that - you can press the up button on the right for an alluring glimpse of a higher temperature but there's no button to set it, so it just falls back to chuffing cold.

I've looked at the manufacturer's site but their version comes with handy buttons to set the temperature etc - why the fuck hasn't mine got that?

I've tried holding the button down for ages or pushing both together and every other possible variation to no avail.

1670942371215.png

ret2001.jpg

On the link that danski provided there is an E-Mail address for the manufacturer, maybe drop them a line and see if they can suggest anything?

It's so cold I've gone back to bed for a bit. I'll post up a pic of the back of the unit later. Thank for the feedback so far!

The heating stopped working altogether a few weeks back and apparently this was down to the batteries running out in the thermostat control (really). Council bloke came around to replace the batteries but managed to break it so it won;t fit back on the wall, so it's now it's waiting for a replacement.

It's stuck on 15.5C and there's no way to alter that - you can press the up button on the right for an alluring glimpse of a higher temperature but there's no button to set it, so it just falls back to chuffing cold.

I've looked at the manufacturer's site but their version comes with handy buttons to set the temperature etc - why the fuck hasn't mine got that?

I've tried holding the button down for ages or pushing both together and every other possible variation to no avail.

View attachment 355550

ret2001.jpg

That picture of flame/heat rising on the unit means it's trying to heat something. I found this in a manual for RET2000, might be worth trying?

Press either the Λ or V buttons, the product backlight will come on. Press either the Λ or V button again within 6 seconds, the display will fl ash with the current set temperature. While the display is fl ashing press the Λ arrow to increase the set temperature to the required setting or the V arrow to decrease the set temperature. If no buttons are pressed the display will return to actual temperature after 4 seconds and the backlight will go out after 6 seconds.

That picture of flame/heat rising on the unit means it's trying to heat something. I found this in a manual for RET2000, might be worth trying?
I think I've already tried it that I'll give it another go once I've left the luxurious heat of the cafe I'm in!

Can't you jam batteries in even if hanging off the wall. I have just restarted my thermostat with new batteries after it being unresponsive for days

That's actually tropical compared with the temperatures some urbs are living with, see the 'how cold is your house' thread.
How's that supposed to help?

It's now 13C anyway and I'm actually paying for my heating and currently have zero prospect of getting it fixed in the near future. It's been some time since I've gone to a bed with a hairdryer.

The way you describe your thermostat is the way mine works anyway. You set the temp (in my case with a dial) and then the displayed temp drops back to whatever temp it is in the room. Are you sure the problem is at the thermostat end?
I've no idea. When the useless clumsy bloke from the council snapped off the display from the wall he assured me that the temp would soar to 30C so I should be ready to start turning down the radiators. LOL.

Can you post a picture of your boiler and the dials and settings too?

what happens if you hold down the up or down buttons? I wouldnt leave it set to 30 degrees thats surely unneccessary.

Imo the 15.5 is the current temperature. But the boiler isnt firing up. Are your radiators totally cold? You need to adjust what it's meant to go to and make sure it's communicating with the boiler. Pretty useless of the council bloke not to show you this.

The council guy was full of shit. I decided to stand next to the heating on/off light downstairs and start bashing the thermostat. The light comes on and trips off straight away after. So that's what's fucked.

It sounds like it's not communicating with your boiler and requires a reset and pairing with the boiler again. What sort of boiler have you got Ed? You might be able to overwrite the thermostat and run the boiler manually.

ETA If you have no heating at these temps the council should treat it as an emergency and provide a call out service.

The council guy was full of shit. I decided to stand next to the heating on/off light downstairs and start bashing the thermostat. The light comes on and trips off straight away after. So that's what's fucked.
Can you post a pic of the boiler and that switch?

Can you post a pic of the boiler and that switch?
It's literally just a box with two lights: on and programme. Pressing on makes the light go on for about 5 secs and then it trips off. It used to be on all the time in cold weather.
I don't have a boiler as it's a communal one in a big block of flats.

Edit to add: I've got some luke warm heating that comes on and off as the mood takes.

It's literally just a box with two lights: on and programme. Pressing on makes the light go on for about 5 secs and then it trips off. It used to be on all the time in cold weather.
I don't have a boiler as it's a communal one in a big block of flats.

Edit to add: I've got some luke warm heating that comes on and off as the mood takes.
He's probably not reset the stat then or the switch is borked, as you say. I'd be calling their emergency call out number and playing fuck.

I'm not up on communal shared systems mate sorry. There's probably a way to override the switch but you'd need to pull the cover off and it that's not your bag I'd leave it to them.

Warm wishes ;)

Back
Top Bottom