Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BT Digital Voice change-over

Everything plugs into the phone socket via a micro filter at the moment.

that doesn't sound like fibre. when i went on to fibre internet, an engineer had to come round and do something, and think i ended up with box on the wall with two sockets, one for phone, one for interwebs

That's what I thought but there website is clear as mud.
Ignore what I said about G.Fast, there is a stop-sell on those for now.

It will be full fibre. An Openreach engineer will come and install a new cable and a box like I posted above. BT will send you the router before the install date.

I highly recommend you use Zen instead of BT though.

Yeah i suspected the home setup might be a bit different.
And a bit cheaper :D

FTTPs are generally around £50-£80 install, often free install on a 12 month contract. £30-£60 pcm depending on provider and speed

Leased lines from a few hundred to tens of thousands just for the install. Possibly free install on a 3 year term. £300-£600 a month.

Puddy_Tat the order gave the option of a battery backup (which sounds like it's fibre to the property) but they only do it with a digital phone included at £85 :eek:
Unless they are offering continued maintance of that backup, I'd fuck it off and get something like this if you just plug the phone base station and the router/phone adaptor you should get plenty of time (assuming the new router has a normal phone socket/POTS socket on the back.

Ignore what I said about G.Fast, there is a stop-sell on those for now.

It will be full fibre. An Openreach engineer will come and install a new cable and a box like I posted above. BT will send you the router before the install date.

I highly recommend you use Zen instead of BT though.
Can only get full fibre round here through BT or virgin. :(

I hope it has as I've asked to use my existing phone.

phone socket on the back of a BT router has been standard for a while.

the one i have (and the one mum-tat has) - says it's a BT smart hub 2 - came with a sticker over the socket. as and when you go on to digital voice, you just peel the sticker off and plug the phone in.

thus-ish (this one is mum-tat's) -

1714597912497.png

assuming you have a phone that fits a standard BT socket, it should work. my landline handset was fairly cheap and basic before the change-over and works ok. i believe some cordless ones don't like it, though

That's slightly more expensive than with BT.

Stupid thing is I'm currently with Utility Warehouse but they only offer fibre broadband and disconnect your landline so no wired phone yet their service is provided through open reach. :hmm:

"You get what you pay for"

In this case you get an ISP who are consistently voted "Best ISP" in various polls, who give you a static IPV4 address as standard for free, don't give a shit about filters (piratebay.com? go ahead lol, we don't care), have UK call centres and support staff who actually know what they're talking about. Plus they'll gently let you know when you're coming out of contract and offer you a deal instead of just putting your monthlies up exponentially ala British "fucking" Telecom.

Stupid thing is I'm currently with Utility Warehouse but they only offer fibre broadband and disconnect your landline so no wired phone yet their service is provided through open reach. :hmm:

Sorry... any provider will be "disconnecting" your landline and it's going to be disconnected by the end of next year anyway in most cases. Your landline will be moved over to VoIP ("digital") if you need the landline.

Sorry... any provider will be "disconnecting" your landline and it's going to be disconnected by the end of next year anyway in most cases. Your landline will be moved over to VoIP ("digital") if you need the landline.
Utility warehouse don't do voice over internet so if you change to their full fibre service you only get broadband and no voice service. :hmm:

Utility warehouse don't do voice over internet so if you change to their full fibre service you only get broadband and no voice service. :hmm:
Ah, I see.

It doesn't make much odds if they're providing the service via Openreach as OR just rent the fiber infrastructure to the service providers. If the service provider doesn't offer VoIP and you need the landline, use another SP. Or use a third-party VoIP service.

Ah, I see.

It doesn't make much odds if they're providing the service via Openreach as OR just rent the fiber infrastructure to the service providers. If the service provider doesn't offer VoIP and you need the landline, use another SP.
That's why I was looking at changing. Just seems daft that if open reach can provide VoIP then why can't utility warehouse. :hmm:

That's why I was looking at changing. Just seems daft that if open reach can provide VoIP then why can't utility warehouse. :hmm:
Openreach don't provide VoIP or Internet any other service. Simply put, they just own, provide and maintain the wires that go to your home/business. They rent that infrastructure to service providers (BT, Zen, Vodafone, TalkTalk, Sky, Utilities Warehouse, AAISP & etc.)

It's almost always cheaper to get the Internet without a voice service and maybe Utility Warehouse have decided that's where they want to be in the market.

Last edited:
Don't utility warehouse have all different packages? Perhaps the voice is just optional paid-for extra.

Just tried that with a neighbours address and it doesn't even offer full fibre even though we share a telephone post and the same cabinet just up the road. :eek: :hmm:
Might* be better to call them as it seems like their online portal is a bit rubbish.

*I have no idea what their customer service is like.

I had a long phone call with someone at BT this afternoon. They were very helpful but said they weren't a technical person, and no there wasn't a technical person I could talk to, the engineer would sort it out when they come round.

They also said that going on to digital voice would just mean changing so that the phone plugs in to the home hub (modem) and sockets would only need changing to go on to full fibre.

But the initial letter said the house would be upgraded to full fibre prior to changing to digital voice so that doesn't make sense.

I am really pissed off with this, but changing providers is probably going to be even more hassle and generate even more panic.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Back
Top Bottom