Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How are Team GB doing wrt the expected / optimistic medal tally?

So does that mean they're squeezing more events in to the day or are there new events that have been added?
I don't know. I imagine that there are different events from last time and different orders which account for the differences so far. Will see if I can find out how many golds are up for grabs compared to 2008.

I'm increasingly sick of all this medal table, "Team GB", "Director of Elite Performance" twaddle.. its turning sport into the fulfillment of a business plan.

Fuck it!. Coe and Ovett, David Gower, Eric Cantona etc, etc.. weren't the product of this. and thank you very much.

Thanks to Grainger and Watkins's heroics, Team GB are now fourth in the medal table and will go third if another gold is won (and the Koreans dont win another one before then).

Based on that report in the Telegraph showing UK Sport's expectations, shooting and judo have reached the upper limit of their expectations (1 medal).

Of the other events where we have won medals so far:

Gymnastics won 1 - expected 1 to 2
Canoe 2 - expected 3 to 4
Cycling 4 - expected 6 to 10
Equestrianism 1 - expected 3 to 4
Rowing 3 - expected 6
Swimming 2 - expected 5 to 7

So in the categories where we've won medals so far, we've won 15 compared to a minimum expectation of 24. Obviously still plenty of medals to be won in those categories and ignores other categories where they expected to win a medal and didn't.

We're now up to 6 medals in rowing with our two Beijing-gold-medal-winning crews still yet to race. So they've made the rowing target.

Long way still to go in equestrianism and cycling -- wouldn't surprise me if they made those targets.

Swimming target seems unlikely. My impression generally has been that the swimmers have underperformed. Certainly, I've heard a lot of "I've just really enjoyed the experience!" from them, like the whole shebang has just been for their entertainment.

Brits have medals in 9 different sports - more than anyone else I think. Quite astounding

_62000129_medalcomparsionday6.jpg

unfortunately, Chernova is as well - better in Javelin & 800 (I think it is). Jess needs a lead of around 100 at the end of today to be in with a good shout

Thanks to Grainger and Watkins's heroics, Team GB are now fourth in the medal table and will go third if another gold is won (and the Koreans dont win another one before then).

unless loads of other nations win lots of medals

It's all rather pointless taking note of the medals table this early on in the game

Back
Top Bottom