Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How are Team GB doing wrt the expected / optimistic medal tally?

negative....

They / we were expecting medals in synchro diving, mens road race, gold in womens swimming .. etc none of those medals materialised.

Great Britain have now won 15 medals compared to 7 after 6 days four years ago with 5 golds against 2 last time. Hopefully they continue doing as well.

negative....

They / we were expecting medals in synchro diving, mens road race, gold in womens swimming .. etc none of those medals materialised.
The womens swimming gold isnt expected until tomorrow. Diving was never going to be a gold either. Mens road, and now the womens time trial are golds down, but otherwise they're about on track.

Based on that report in the Telegraph showing UK Sport's expectations, shooting and judo have reached the upper limit of their expectations (1 medal).

Of the other events where we have won medals so far:

Gymnastics won 1 - expected 1 to 2
Canoe 2 - expected 3 to 4
Cycling 4 - expected 6 to 10
Equestrianism 1 - expected 3 to 4
Rowing 3 - expected 6
Swimming 2 - expected 5 to 7

So in the categories where we've won medals so far, we've won 15 compared to a minimum expectation of 24. Obviously still plenty of medals to be won in those categories and ignores other categories where they expected to win a medal and didn't.

Based on that report in the Independent showing UK Sport's expectations, shooting and judo have reached the upper limit of their expectations (1 medal).

Of the other events where we have won medals so far:

Gymnastics won 1 - expected 1 to 2
Canoe 2 - expected 3 to 4
Cycling 4 - expected 6 to 10
Equestrianism 1 - expected 3 to 4
Rowing 3 - expected 6
Swimming 2 - expected 5 to 7

So in the categories where we've won medals so far, we've won 15 compared to a minimum expectation of 24. Obviously still plenty of medals to be won in those categories and ignores other categories where they expected to win a medal and didn't.

Would be interesting to see who they expected to get medals (ie. were the male gymnasts expected to?)

I thought the male gymnasts really, really weren't expected to? I guess the gymnastic expectation is for Beth Tweddle?

Yeah, definitely not expected as far as I'm aware

But what about Beth Tweddle? What was she expected to get? An individual in bars or something?

Individual bars, and a shout at the floor (I think)
If shouting at the floor is an Olympic event, there's hope for me yet.

I see from QueenOfGoth's link that
"We aspire for them to be more than 48 medals in more than 12 sports," she said.
"We can't be more specific than that."
That's a bit of a cop out isn't it?
We hope for 48 medals, but we're not sure where they'll be got.

Reactions: Cid
If shouting at the floor is an Olympic event, there's hope for me yet.

I see from QueenOfGoth's link that

That's a bit of a cop out isn't it?
We hope for 48 medals, but we're not sure where they'll be got.
It was just to state that they hoped to be more successful than Beijing where they won 47.

looking at the guardian predictions - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/26/olympics-medals-gold-team-gb - Pendleton wasnt actually expected to get the team sprint gold, but there should have been another canoeing or two. The Judo a complete shocker, and UK Sport, bizarrely, didnt think the world number 1 would win the shooting thingy

Wouldn't worry too much about the cycling predictions. William Fotheringham picked them. He's got more of a clue than Liggett but not much.

are all the events in the same order as 4 years ago though?

I wouldn't have thought so, which is why I'm confused about the whole 'x medals by day y' way of thinking. BBC has medals tables for this year and 2008 if anyone fancies comparing medals from those events that have taken place.

I wouldn't have thought so, which is why I'm confused about the whole 'x medals by day y' way of thinking. BBC has medals tables for this year and 2008 if anyone fancies comparing medals from those events that have taken place.
Why don't you post a link then?

Obviously the days and events are unlikely to match exactly but theyll be in a similar order/timescale so it gives an indication of comparability. For instance, the Australians have performed less well in swimming Han they did last time and that is clear from the stats.

it was just something on that Guardian page that had those details and I thought they were interesting to post now that we are 6 days in compared to 3 when this thread was started.

Just seen what I think you are referring to. Not sure that BBC medal table would be the best way to do a comparison, at least not until the events are over. The day by day approach is far simpler and close enough to be a reasonable tracker of comparable performance. It's all meaningless anyway.

Just seen what I think you are referring to. Not sure that BBC medal table would be the best way to do a comparison, at least not until the events are over. The day by day approach is far simpler and close enough to be a reasonable tracker of comparable performance. It's all meaningless anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/countries

Of course it's no use until the events are over. In fact it's not really a contructive exercise beyond being a bit of fun. But you can see where medals have been lost won if you're ever as bored as a dole-scrounging me.

As an overall comparison, 91 gold medals have been awarded to date compared to 84 on day 6 last time.

Back
Top Bottom