Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

House of the Dragon (GoT prequel)

I thought this was excellent, back to the character driven storytelling and the politics which made GoT great and which the earlier show abandoned by the latter part. Unlike with GoT there isn't a weak link in the cast (I wasn't a fan of Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington). I abandoned the LOTR show two episodes in, the characters bored me to death, GoT/House of the Dragon is far more my type of fantasy. One thing I always liked about this universe is that it has interesting female characters and this is all about two queens facing off.

Last edited:
So I picked this up on DVD because it was on sale.

I got to episode 6 where all the actors change and am completely confused. I don't know who's who. Wasn't the younger knight (the on who gets assualted in the courtyard) the one that shagged Rhenera? If not why is it the same actor?

Who was Damon's wife?

I mean, it's a pretty good show but fuck me I'm lost

An hour and 12 minutes of creepy incest! (Tautology)

I watched season one and did enjoy the dragons, especially that big one that bit the little one. Although the guy playing Aviaeriysyer with his eye patch couldn't have looked more pantomime!

Weird how they chose to recast some actors but not others.

I just can't get over all the creepy incest though. Sorry. It's just too offputting. I get why they do it, as they explained it as it pertains to the prophecy. King Viersieursyd was done very well and his illness was hard to watch.

No I dont remember their names

I rewatched the first series a couple of weeks ago to get myself ready. I enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing. I think because I wasn't comparing it with GoT so much.....

I rewatched the first series a couple of weeks ago to get myself ready. I enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing. I think because I wasn't comparing it with GoT so much.....
Out in a few hours time at 2am ( UK ).

Probably should have rewatched s1 myself but too late now. Maybe someone's done a youtube story reminder :hmm:

The murder at the end was obviously intended to be another "red wedding" style shock moment but i couldn't work out who the characters were (beyond guessing they were relatives of the king) so it didn't have the same impact. I know it's the kings son now from reading reviews afterwards.

apparently "the internet" is more outraged by the dog getting kicked (which i assume was faked by cgi) than the child getting killed :rolleyes:

I certainly enjoyed the opening episode. Did watch a couple of YT videos beforehand (and afterwards) to remind me what I'd forgotten (due to the show and its characters being much less memorable than GoT). I still don't have a fucking clue who anyone is due to the fan-wank naming conventions, but I still love Aemond - I know who he is, the cool-as-fuck pirate riding a massive dragon!

I've seen the E2 trailer, and I'm guessing Dr Larys Scholl has removed Otto and appointed Ser Criston as a puppet 'foot of the king'

I certainly enjoyed the opening episode. Did watch a couple of YT videos beforehand (and afterwards) to remind me what I'd forgotten (due to the show and its characters being much less memorable than GoT). I still don't have a fucking clue who anyone is due to the fan-wank naming conventions, but I still love Aemond - I know who he is, the cool-as-fuck pirate riding a massive dragon!

I've seen the E2 trailer, and I'm guessing Dr Larys Scholl has removed Otto and appointed Ser Criston as a puppet 'foot of the king'

Good point. I forgot they normally do episode trailers.

Struggled a bit with episode 1 because I'd very much forgotten the characters and plot, but it all started to fall into place five mins before the decapitation. Episode 2 really ramped things up. Feels so long since there's been any decent TV I'm savouring every minute.

Another enjoyable episode. I get and agree with all the criticisms, but I still like it.

S1 should have done a better job explaining who everyone is, what their shit is and what their role in the show is (hero, anti-hero, comic-relief, political player, whatever), and they should have reigned in the number of characters, most of whom share very similar names. Phil Daniels is there - I assume he's a lowborn person of King's Landing/Flea Bottom who has risen up the ranks, but nothing is explained, we've seen nothing of his activities away from the DS council room, he's just there.

And turn up the fucking lights! The GoT Red Keep looked liked Queenie's throneroom from Blackadder II and literally no one fucking cared about realistic candle light.

Struggled a bit with episode 1 because I'd very much forgotten the characters and plot, but it all started to fall into place five mins before the decapitation. Episode 2 really ramped things up. Feels so long since there's been any decent TV I'm savouring every minute.
Mrs SI had to stop Episode 1 ten minutes in and give me a précis of the story and characters so far as I couldn't remember any of it without prompting.

We went off S1 on the stupid time jump episode. Have just decided to start S2 without bothering to finish the previous season. Not too bothered about what we might have missed, and doesn’t feel like that much halfway through the first episode.

I'm still hoping soon-to-be King Aemond the Cool-as-Fuck kills everyone and reigns supreme, but the acknowledgement of his younger brother in Old Town this week surely means that he and wannabe Joffrey are not long for Planetos.

Back
Top Bottom