Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horror Movies for kids.

I think 80's comedy horrors/schlock horrors would be fine for a 8 year old kid to watch - what passed for a 15 then is pretty tame by today's standards.

Anyway stuff like...

- Killer Klowns From Outta Space
- Critters
- Ghoulies
- Troll
- The Return of the Living Dead
- The Gate
- Lost Boys
- Creepshow
- The Toxic Avenger
- The Monster Squad
- Cat's Eye

etc

I was going to suggest Monster Squad..

:)

I find this thread quite shocking, even if my kid did steal a DVD to watch I wouldn't keep letting them watch shit like that but that's just me :(

Think I'll leave the thread as I'm in danger of telling someone how to raise their kids, and no-one ever wants to hear that especially off some childless 25 year old :D:D:D

I don;t think that's what they're doing though, they're not gonna let them watch anything like Saw3 (I hope....), just silly slapstick stuff that's not scary at all. It's not what I'd do personally, but I think it varies from kid to kid, and far better that he's choosing some not-actually-scary-or-horrific "horror" films for the kid and monitoring what he's watching than he's sneaking off and watching really fucked up stuff at a mates. Most modern horror films, like Saw and hostel and all that ilk are really really grim and gory and I wouldn't want a kid touching them with a 10 foot barge pole, but the older horrror films are actually pretty tame and silly and kids see so much these days in TV, computer games, cartoons, kids films etc I don't *think* they'd actually be that extreme in comparison

The standards have changed haven't they? I was playing speedball 2 earlier, and it occurred to me how unbelievably tame it is now compared with GTA and all that. At the time I thought it was wonderfully subversive that there was a sports game where you could get points for getting the other team's player stretchered off.

I don;t think that's what they're doing though, they're not gonna let them watch anything like Saw3 (I hope....), just silly slapstick stuff that's not scary at all. It's not what I'd do personally, but I think it varies from kid to kid, and far better that he's choosing some not-actually-scary-or-horrific "horror" films for the kid and monitoring what he's watching than he's sneaking off and watching really fucked up stuff at a mates. Most modern horror films, like Saw and hostel and all that ilk are really really grim and gory and I wouldn't want a kid touching them with a 10 foot barge pole, but the older horrror films are actually pretty tame and silly and kids see so much these days in TV, computer games, cartoons, kids films etc I don't *think* they'd actually be that extreme in comparison

I don't understand though, aren't film classifications there for a reason?

I realise the OP know's his kids better than us and probably the film censors but I'm still a bit meh about kids watching adult films. :hmm:

I don't understand though, aren't film classifications there for a reason?

Yeah, but they've changed a hell of a lot over the years, the BBFC are a lot more liberal now than they used to be, mainly due to a new chairman *I think* who's name escapes me after the old one, James Ferman stood down (or so my resident geek informs me), so if you watch an old 18, it'll seem more like a 15 nowadays - modern day 15's can be really fucking harsh - and an old 15 will seem more like a modern day 12, so I guess you have to take that into account when you're choosing a film for a kid that's not of their "time" (or indeed if they're used to watching older films annd you suddenly take them to see a modern day 12)

Just to clear things up, i'm not his step dad.

I don't want him watching gore.After the Saw 3 episode we got talking about horror films, he's interested in them so whats the harm in letting him see some tame horror.Also I let him watch evil dead 3 which is a very different film to the first two.

I was thankful he came home and told us he'd watched saw 3 rather than keep it a secret, he knew he shouldn't have watched it.We had a word with the other kids mum and asked her not to make a big deal out of it.We didn't want the other kid to find out my boy had told.

My little boy doesn't scare easily, I'm not trying to make him grow up quicker.It's just that some of the film ratings are clearly nonsense.Evil Dead 3 for example has a few scary demon faces in it, nothing we don't see in lord of the rings these days.

Basically, he's not going to be watching any 18s, but I'm sure there are a fair few 15s out there that it'd be fine for him to watch.

I was going to suggest Monster Squad..

:)

I'd forgotten about Monster Squad!
(that is the one where the mummy's bandages get crossbow-bolted to a tree and it unravels, isn't it?)

Although for sheer child terrifying horror, you can't beat Watership Down.

That scared the living shit out of me for years and years.

<brrrrr>

I realise the OP know's his kids better than us and probably the film censors but I'm still a bit meh about kids watching adult films. :hmm:

Me too, but I really think it's more responsible to take an active role on what they watch, rather than just going by the rating. For example my SIL says her kids can watch anything up to a 12 - well I'm sorry but that's not okay in my book, some 12's are fucking scary for kids, some PG's might have issues they're not ready to deal with, I think you have to tailor it to each individual child and if possible judge each film (although that's not always practical I know, but wherever possible).

I think 80's comedy horrors/schlock horrors would be fine for a 8 year old kid to watch - what passed for a 15 then is pretty tame by today's standards.

Anyway stuff like...

- Killer Klowns From Outta Space
- Critters
- Ghoulies
- Troll
- The Return of the Living Dead
- The Gate
- Lost Boys
- Creepshow
- The Toxic Avenger
- The Monster Squad
- Cat's Eye

etc

Thats the stuff!! Critters!! Isn't Ghoulies the one where the beasts come out of the toilet? ;)

nothing we don't see in lord of the rings these days.

that's the film that always springs to my mind when this issue comes up, the first one's a PG right? But that epic battle scene at the beginning, on the big screen could be fucking mind-blowing for some littleuns! it just depends on the kid and the film, I think it sounds like you're taking quite a responsible attitude to their viewing.

Isn't Ghoulies the one where the beasts come out of the toilet? ;)

Yup. And Critters, iirc, are really hard to kill when small, cos they are fast, but when they evolve into their bigger man-in-furry-suit stage, they are shit.

I have no idea what this bizarre cut and paste job of Hammers production history combined the lenght of time that I've been on this forum is supposed to prove Johnny, but the Hammer films are pretty harmless by today's standarts and little more than a bit of fake looking blood is shown in the early ones. It's not what I would regard as gore and nothing as dramatic as hearts being ripped out as you have been claiming. It's all very tame by todays standarts and I'm getting the feeling that as so often you don't really know what you are talking about.

Dracula was rereleased recently and reclassifiied as a 12A

I think little shop of horrors is good for kids. although i am not going to show it to my child in case he develops a fear of maniacal dentists

thats as horror as it gets in my house. I am teh scaredypants :oops:

Do step parents count? Still not sure why you though that was relevant.....and I'm a mum to be if that gives me authority over other not up the duff people on the thread, although I haven't got a clue why it would and if someone comes along who's got a kid already I guess they trump that :(:confused:

You're a mother to be? Take a hint from someone who's already a parent: don't show your eight year old a bunch of horror films.

The standards have changed haven't they? I was playing speedball 2 earlier, and it occurred to me how unbelievably tame it is now compared with GTA and all that. At the time I thought it was wonderfully subversive that there was a sports game where you could get points for getting the other team's player stretchered off.

That doesn't make traumatising and desensitizing 8 year olds, a good thing.

Just to clear things up, i'm not his step dad.

I don't want him watching gore.After the Saw 3 episode we got talking about horror films, he's interested in them so whats the harm in letting him see some tame horror.Also I let him watch evil dead 3 which is a very different film to the first two.

I was thankful he came home and told us he'd watched saw 3 rather than keep it a secret, he knew he shouldn't have watched it.We had a word with the other kids mum and asked her not to make a big deal out of it.We didn't want the other kid to find out my boy had told.

My little boy doesn't scare easily, I'm not trying to make him grow up quicker.It's just that some of the film ratings are clearly nonsense.Evil Dead 3 for example has a few scary demon faces in it, nothing we don't see in lord of the rings these days.

Basically, he's not going to be watching any 18s, but I'm sure there are a fair few 15s out there that it'd be fine for him to watch.

That makes sense to me. Better to let him watch a few non-horrific horrors than for him to have his interest piqued by your refusal and go off watching more things like Saw 3 at his friends' houses.

Those schlock horror films are no more disturbing or violent than cartoons, some fairy tales and even nursery rhymes. Traditional kids' stuff is full of horror!

That makes sense to me. Better to let him watch a few non-horrific horrors than for him to have his interest piqued by your refusal and go off watching more things like Saw 3 at his friends' houses.

I wasn't allowed to watch any horror films as a kid and that's what I did. It was the start of a life long obsession for me. :D

The first horror film I saw was Oliver Stone's The Hand - I snuck downstairs in the middle of the night after my parents had gone to bed and watched with the sound turned down very low. It scared the shit out of me and I was hooked. I haven't seen it, but it's is judged to be a poor example of the genre, so I'm not sure if I want to taint my initial impression.

The first horror film I ever saw on telly was Rosemary's Baby. During the last five minutes when Rosemary finds out what happened to her child and what it looks like, I covered my eyes and then bragged in school the next day how scary the devil baby looked.

Only you never get to see the baby. :rolleyes: :)

The first horror film I ever saw on telly was Rosemary's Baby. During the last five minutes when Rosemary finds out what happened to her child and what it looks like, I covered my eyes and then bragged in school the next day how scary the devil baby looked.

Only you never get to see the baby. :rolleyes: :)

Haha. That was the best part of been allowed to see violent action and horror films when I was that age was the bragging in the playground.

Back
Top Bottom