Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horror Films

miniGMgoit

OverWeightUnderAchiever
Hello.

Do you love Horror fils or what?

Which are your favorites?

Im really in to the Phantasm series at the moment. Have any of you seen these. There is seriously nothing out there like them. I would highly recommend you sit down and watch them all in a row. Its an epic tale.

Devils Rejects is great. Disappointed with Land of the Dead, love Romero and so wanted to like this film, but good by others standards but not by the godlike figure that is Romero.

Phantasm II has a warm place in my heart as it was the first proper horror film I watched all the way through.

Other than that:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - the original - nasty but surprisingly gore-free.

Blair Witch Project - sadly underrated in my opinon, I've met maybe two or three other people who actually like it.

Ring - again the original and not the atrocious American remake. However I heard there was a Korean version which I'd be quite interested to see.

Evil Dead - great fun!

The Wicker Man - probably my favourite Hammer.

The Eye - like the Sixth Sense, but actually scary.

Probably loads more I'm forgetting...

Horror movies don't really do it for me... But one of the scariest movies I've ever watched - which I also thought was very good - was 'The Others'.

I think most horror movies are stupid, and with very few exceptions I don't bother watching them at all...

'The Exorcist' is another horror movie I rate highly too. :cool:

Oh, and also 'Hellraiser'! Classic! :D

Like a lot of Bava's old stuff, Black Sunday etc. Also Demons and Demons 2 from his son. Great fun.
Romero's zombie flick of course.
Evil Dead, highly influential film
Argento has some goodies, Suspiria of course but also Bird with the Crystal Plumage (thriller I guess) and Tenebrae
Wes Craven for The Hills Have Eyes and Nightmare on Elm Street.
Lucio Fulci with his wacky Lovecraftian stuff in "The Beyond".

Dog Soldiers was a cracking film, I thought.
28 Days Later, enjoyed it but it treads much the same terriroty as many others and frankly never conjures up the grim, seedy flavour that is the essence of horro IMHO.

The Shining. Stands alone.

Crap loads of others viewed during teenage stoner sessions...

I love horror films, especially the 70s hammed up ones and the old classics.

The Wicker Man is the seminal classic.

American Werewolf in London is the best horror/comedy (sequal is crap) followed by Scream and Sean of the Dead.

The Blair Witch Project is one of the greatest horrors of all time and very underated. It has a magificant atmosphere.

Don't Look Now! is fantastic. Real horror - suspense, build up...

The old Hammer Horror films are great - even the awful ones. Twins of Evil, Lust for a Vampire, The Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus - all great shit films with wonderfully bad acting and overthetop vampire lust.

I recently picked up a film called Bloodsuckers staring Patrick Mower, Patrick Mcnee and also Peter Cushing. A total bummer and absolutely wonderful. The deleted scene available on the dvd is by far the best bit - a drugs and sex orgy resulting in ritual murder filmed in a psychedelic kalidascope of colour and set to appropriate sounds. :cool:

Then there are the early masters. Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Metroplis, Nosferatu. All truelly fab.

Never been a big fan of slasher films though...

Poi E said:
Argento has some goodies, Suspiria of course but also Bird with the Crystal Plumage (thriller I guess)
The Shining. Stands alone.

Crap loads of others viewed during teenage stoner sessions...

Have to agree with Suspiria. Marvelous use of noise and colour to create tension and headache.

Kubrick's The Shining is hard to beat and is by far the best 'Stephen King' film. Obviously King hated it and had his own inferior overly long version made. The man knows nothing about film. (The clown in IT is :cool: though)

Blood on Satan's Claw - a Tigon movie that is maginficently reminiscent of the best Hammers - and it really is one of the best of them! Aaah, Michele Dotrice, magnificent.

Don't Look Now - little dead girl in red coat, weird old women...I recommend this film so much.

The Others - modern old fashioned horror. Good stuff.

Phantasm series - in particular number II. Gore and suspense though not very scarey.

The Omen I to III - classic stuff.

Lost Highway - I dunno but this gives me the creeps. Postmodern horror?

The Grudge - Japanese version.

I'm looking forward to The Exorcism of Emily Rose...

I love Horror films. The Japanese version of the Ring is the film that has scared me most, I think.

Yes, I love horror films.

Fav's are :

Evil Dead 1 and 2
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Hellraiser
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original of course)
Scream

Plenty more aswell

Hmmm....

Wicker Man
Demons/Demons 2
Anything by Kitamura
The Thing (John Carpenter)
Anything else by John Carpenter up to about...oooooh....Big Trouble in Little China?
Suspiria
Ring/Ring2 (haven't seen Ring O but not sure I want to)
The Eye
Do Sci-Fi/Horrors like Alien count? If so there are a few decent ones there.
Tesis

What about splatter/gore movies? We including them in here? Things like The New York Ripper and the Guineapig movies etc

I'm sure I'll think of more...

The Boy said:
Hmmm....

Wicker Man
Demons/Demons 2
Anything by Kitamura
The Thing (John Carpenter)
Anything else by John Carpenter up to about...oooooh....Big Trouble in Little China?
Suspiria
Ring/Ring2 (haven't seen Ring O but not sure I want to)
The Eye
Do Sci-Fi/Horrors like Alien count? If so there are a few decent ones there.
Tesis

What about splatter/gore movies? We including them in here? Things like The New York Ripper and the Guineapig movies etc

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Tesis was great, it was one of those examples of suspense being built without the gore and cheap shocks. By the final scenes when we finally find out who the baddie is I found myself wondering how evil this guy was and how evil and depraved he could be. Which is of course to the credit of the film makers, because to be honest they havent really shown us how bad he can be at all.

Suprised I forgot about that one because when I watched I was left shellshocked.

Man. I love talking Horror.

I think that Phantasm is so good as it still makes me feel really uncompfortable when I watch it 15 years after I first saw it.
That tall man guy, with no emotion ew ew ew. And Cemeteries have always given me the shits so to have a film set in one is always going to work for me.

Has anyone mentioned Poltergiest yet. They are pretty bloody horriffic still. That preacher dude with all the teeth and the boys braces argh!!!!!!!!!! And the vomiting that weird flid/goit type thing that gets really big.

"God is in his holy tem.......ple"

miniGMgoit said:
Has anyone mentioned Poltergiest yet. They are pretty bloody horriffic still. That preacher dude with all the teeth and the boys braces argh!!!!!!!!!! And the vomiting that weird flid/goit type thing that gets really big.

"God is in his holy tem.......ple"

Oh yeah, especially the first one. Tobe Hooper almost managed to get the Spielberg cuddly icky shit out of the film.

miniGMgoit said:
Was just reading about it and in the US it was originally granted a PG cert????? WTF???????????

With all that face tearing off stuff that is a bit surprising.

Back
Top Bottom